Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 249594 times)

Offline shadowTerp

• View Profile
Re: Tracking Free Agency
« Reply #300 on: July 08, 2008, 10:48:59 AM »
i would like hinrich as well... but i don't think it'll happen. 

For what's is worth, I think SF76 said at one point we weren't interested in him.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #301 on: July 08, 2008, 11:33:29 AM »
He did say that and that's a shame since I think Hinrich is actually a great fit with this team and it's shooting woes. We don't need a chucker like Arenas running point for this team but it would be nice to have someone who can hot a shot from outside 18 feet doing it. Maybe LouWill becomes that guy...

jemagee

« Reply #302 on: July 08, 2008, 11:36:00 AM »
So, i find it interesting that brand hasn't made an announcement yet...all the reports were he'd announce his decision after the holiday weekend, but he hasn't yet, so this can lend credence to the fact that he's at least giving the sixers a shot, i just think that all the reasons people said for him NOT to take the warriors offer are pretty solid for him NOT to take a sixers offer, first and foremost being that he doesn't want to be the 'bad guy'

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 08, 2008, 11:42:13 AM »
My guess is that when Ed and Brand met last week it was made clear what Brands intentions are.  I doubt Rd dumps players and picks if he doesn't know Brand's level of interest.

Then again, maybe this is a move to free up more space for Smith.  Honestly, everthing we have been reading has just been conjecture, but I bet we know in about 12 hours.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #304 on: July 08, 2008, 11:48:48 AM »
I read something yesterday morning that his decision was expected within the next 24-48 hours. I think we'll know by later tonight (after the cap is set) as to where he is playing. If the announcement is for Philly, great! If not, I'm sure Smith will get a fat contract offer at 12:01.

Also, there are some people who are flipping out on the other board about us clearing this space for Smith. I don't believe these people have thought about signing Smith all that realistically. Just because we are clearing more space for right now, it doesn't mean that we're going to give Smith a 5 year/$75MIL deal. Frontloading Smith's contract is the only thing that's going to potentially scare the Hawks off and so by clearing out a little more space, Ed can frontload the deal a little more and really test the Hawks' ownership and their wallet.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 08, 2008, 11:55:36 AM »
Just because we are clearing more space for right now, it doesn't mean that we're going to give Smith a 5 year/$75MIL deal. Frontloading Smith's contract is the only thing that's going to potentially scare the Hawks off and so by clearing out a little more space, Ed can frontload the deal a little more and really test the Hawks' ownership and their wallet.

Thinking the same thing.  We should know by 12:30 AM how this is all playing out.  We will see one of these scenarios

1.  Brand signs with the Sixers.
2.  Smith signs frontloaded offer sheet with the Sixers.
3.  Sixers and ATL sign and trade for Smith (Atl scared now that they now Philly can start Smith at 13M.)
4.  All rumored deals fall through, and the Sixers move on.

jemagee

« Reply #306 on: July 08, 2008, 11:57:23 AM »
All rumored deals fall through, and the Sixers move on.

Sixer fans on the interweb declare holy hell calling for ed stefanskis head, the return of billy king and trading Willie Green and Reggie Evans for Wade

Offline pointguard86

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 08, 2008, 02:34:06 PM »
anything from this point on forward it out of fast eddie's hands.  he tried everything he could to clear cap space and offer the best possible contract to brand/smith.  now only if bk didn't sign willie green with that contract we could have more cap space.  i can only imagine what would bk do in this situation.

jemagee

« Reply #308 on: July 08, 2008, 02:48:28 PM »
after he didn't get brand or smith he'd panic and trade for zach rnadolph and give the knicks a couple first round picks and jason smith

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 08, 2008, 08:28:01 PM »
Pietrus going to Orlando.  Nice pick-up, but don't they need big men and a real PG?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/07/08/magic.pietrus.ap/index.html

jemagee

« Reply #310 on: July 08, 2008, 08:33:31 PM »
Hmmm....hadn't heard peep one about pietrus was hoping the sixers might make a play...The magic DO need a real point guard, but jameer nelson makes a lot of money and seemed to improve enough last season to make the magic happy...i wonder if magic ever plans to get a center and shift rashard and turkoglu backwards...i assume they plan to use pietrus at the 2?

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #311 on: July 08, 2008, 08:33:54 PM »
The LA Times is saying that Maggette is signing with the Warriors for 5 years/$50MIL. If that's the case, then I think we'll start to see these restricted FAs either sign 1 year tenders or take substantially less than what they may have thought they were going to get before the Sixers and Warriors used their money of UFAs.

jemagee

« Reply #312 on: July 08, 2008, 08:34:58 PM »
I wonder if Iguodala now takes the originaly 57 million :)

jemagee

« Reply #313 on: July 08, 2008, 08:35:14 PM »
Shame memphis is so cheap ass - don't they have a lot of cap room?

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #314 on: July 08, 2008, 08:39:06 PM »
Hmmm....hadn't heard peep one about pietrus was hoping the sixers might make a play...The magic DO need a real point guard, but jameer nelson makes a lot of money and seemed to improve enough last season to make the magic happy...i wonder if magic ever plans to get a center and shift rashard and turkoglu backwards...i assume they plan to use pietrus at the 2?

Is Dwight Howard not a real enough Center?