Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 250541 times)

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tracking Free Agency
« Reply #270 on: July 07, 2008, 09:03:57 PM »
I don't put much stock in it, but for what it is worth, Eskin reported that he hears from three good sources that the Sixers believe that Atlanta is going to match any offer for Smith, and they are making a serious effort to clear cap room for Brand.

I doubt they would renounce Iggy to clear room. I don't see the Clips or Warriors helping us get Brand. Maybe Memphis takes Andre Miller for the year if we give them something. And even if we did match the deals he is being offered by others, I don't know why he would prefer us, unless he thinks the East is much easier to go deep into the playoffs.

Just thought I would pass it along.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 07, 2008, 09:36:22 PM »

Thanks, at least we are finally starting to hear some media chatter about the Sixers.  Hopefully that means things are heating up, and maybe we will finally see some moves made Wednesday.

I assume Atl will not even discuss a sign and trade unless Smith's agent tells them he is about to sign a offer sheet and has pen in hand.  Up to that point its just a game of chicken.

I'm not so enthused at the idea of losing either Miller or Iguodala and getting Brand.  The whole point of getting Brand is to try and make a run in the next few years, and we can't do that if we take a huge step back by losing one of the Andres.

BTW summer league in 4 vdys- any news about webcasts?

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #272 on: July 07, 2008, 10:01:37 PM »
It's almost a shame that we can't do the Jordan/Knight thing if we do land Smith. To me, landing all three would be an extremely successful summer.

New Roster
Miller/Williams/Knight
Iguodala/Green
Young/Carney
Smith/Evans/Speights
Dalembert/Smith/Jordan/Blount

Also, because of Miller, Blount, and Knight... we would have about $14MIL in expiring contracts that we could send out at the deadline. Win, win!

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #273 on: July 07, 2008, 10:03:39 PM »

I'm not so enthused at the idea of losing either Miller or Iguodala and getting Brand. 

Well, Brand's starting salary would almost be 5 million more than we can offer, so we POSSIBLY could do it without moving those guys. Memphis may take Willie if you give them a nice package from Carney, Jason Smith, and a first, but to dump Smith, Carney, and a first, you better be certain Elton is going to sign here.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #274 on: July 07, 2008, 10:10:01 PM »
If we're just going to straight up dump players and picks for nothing, Stefanski better get a firm handshake from Brand that he's coming here. I really think that ship has sailed and the Josh Smith thing is really starting to sound more and more like he's back in Atlanta next year... so as we've been asking all along, what's next??

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 07, 2008, 10:13:52 PM »
It's almost a shame that we can't do the Jordan/Knight thing if we do land Smith. To me, landing all three would be an extremely successful summer.

QFT

More reasons to love Calvin Booth's player option and WG's contract in general.  If Smith does not work out, of if he signs an offer somewhere else, I would make the Knight/Jordan trade and offer the rest of our cap space to Biedrins, he is certainly worth a contract $2 million less per year than Smith.  We could also obtain Josh Smith and dump a contract like Jason Smith of you really like Jordan.  It would essentially be us dumping JAson and Calvin on someone like Memphis and getting Knight and Jordan from LAC.  That is kind of a sideways move though.

Offline The Sixer Fixer

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 07, 2008, 10:16:13 PM »
TGP - where did Blount come from in your post?

I assume you meant Booth?  Come on, how can you mess up Calvin Booth...he's such a key piece to this team.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #277 on: July 07, 2008, 10:22:09 PM »
LOL! My bad... I keep doing that too. Blount/Booth... both of them will see about the same about of playing time this year in a Sixers uni.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 07, 2008, 10:40:12 PM »
TGP - where did Blount come from in your post?

I saw that and was afraid to even ask.  Blount has a way scarier contract than good old Cal.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 07, 2008, 10:45:12 PM »
Didn't BK want to give Blount a big contract back in the day?

BTW- SF1976 is posting over at RealGM.  Nothing reallyy noteworthy to quote.

jemagee

« Reply #280 on: July 07, 2008, 10:48:30 PM »
what has jordan knight did since NKOTB broke up. Does dude have the right stuff?

Based on Eskins comments I say its about 90% the hawks done match on smith

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #281 on: July 07, 2008, 10:49:33 PM »
He's just speculating like us at this point and rightfully so... I mean, how can anyone in the Sixers' FO really know what they are going to do until after Atlanta matches for HWMNBN.

Let's say ATL doesn't match, do we call it a summer at that point??

jemagee

« Reply #282 on: July 07, 2008, 10:57:55 PM »
eskin has 'sources'  I put more faith in ouija boards

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 07, 2008, 11:07:23 PM »
what has jordan knight did since NKOTB broke up. Does dude have the right stuff?

I may have lost any shred of respect that I may I had for you- an obscure where are they now NKOTB reference...

Well I looked it up, and this was the highlight of his "solo comeback": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAsBZB4pjHM

Right up there with Rick Astley. 

And to think, without wikipedia and youtube I would be denied of this useful knowledge to share, and answer your improtant "where are they now" question.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 07, 2008, 11:08:53 PM »
He's just speculating like us at this point and rightfully so... I mean, how can anyone in the Sixers' FO really know what they are going to do until after Atlanta matches for HWMNBN.

Let's say ATL doesn't match, do we call it a summer at that point??

We have a lot of bigs at that point, Sammy, two Smiths, Evans, Speights and Cal.  We might see Jason Smith or Evans move at some point, maybe after the summer.  Calvin Booth, sixth big man on the depth chart, seventh if you count Thad, sounds about right for him.