Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 250549 times)

jemagee

Re: Tracking Free Agency
« Reply #330 on: July 08, 2008, 09:38:44 PM »
Oh, I agree.  My point in my post was more that I see iguodala as a #3 option offensively, so we've still got a ways to go.

Like I said, i should have said all-star, and that's kind of why i used lamar odom, i think he's ideally suited as a #3 option as well

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #331 on: July 08, 2008, 09:51:30 PM »
As #3 guys go... he would be one of the best. He was never really given a chance to be a #2 next to Iverson due to Webber and then he seemed to be thrust from #3 to #1 just like that... so maybe now that the pressures off him a bit, perhaps he will thrive as a #2??

It was a bit disappointing to see how badly he was eaten up in the playoffs by Tayshaun even though that's what Prince seems to do.

jemagee

« Reply #332 on: July 08, 2008, 09:53:07 PM »
It was more disappointing to see sam 'earn' 60 million dollars in just 5 games against the pistons a few years ago :)

Come on mareese - you can DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO it

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #333 on: July 08, 2008, 09:57:22 PM »
LOL!

By the way, the cap has been set at $58.68MIL with the luxury tax at $71.15MIL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3479183

jemagee

« Reply #334 on: July 08, 2008, 09:58:59 PM »
In fact, every time someone says andre doesn't 'deserve' it because of the pistons series i remember what sam 'deserved' after the pistons series

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #335 on: July 08, 2008, 10:01:45 PM »
Why can't Iggy be a #2 scorer?  His PPS and TS% are certainly good enough, and he can slash and get to the line.  This obsession with being able to hit a 3 is really starting to piss me off.  I also have an obsession with the word obsession.

Really, and I've said it before (although I don't know if on here yet) and I'll probably say it many times again.  The next few seasons rest squarely on Thad's shoulders.  If he can fulfill his scoring potential, he's a #2 scoring option who can hit the outside shot and drive to the hoop.  It remains to be seen if he can ever reach that potential and when.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 08, 2008, 10:06:57 PM »
The next few seasons rest squarely on Thad's shoulders.  If he can fulfill his scoring potential, he's a #2 scoring option who can hit the outside shot and drive to the hoop.  It remains to be seen if he can ever reach that potential and when.

I think that is something that we can all agree about.

If Thad steps up as a number 2 scorer then Iguodala can grow into a great, spectacular #3 scorer/defender glue player.

If in 2 years Thad is a 20+ ppg star with a good jumper then this team Will be a contender.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #337 on: July 08, 2008, 10:21:29 PM »
Thad is the real "X" factor on this team. The kid flat out gets it and has amazing moves around the rim. If he can mature into a stud wing player over the next 3 years, then I think we're in really good shape. I think we're a pretty good team right now but our future could be scary bright if guys like Thad, Lou, and Speights reach their potential.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #338 on: July 08, 2008, 10:23:07 PM »
Why can't Iggy be a #2 scorer?  His PPS and TS% are certainly good enough, and he can slash and get to the line.  This obsession with being able to hit a 3 is really starting to piss me off.  I also have an obsession with the word obsession

Because he doesn't have the first step, handles, body control or outside shot?

From all of the positives you can list about Iguodala, which are certainly true, he also has real holes in his game offensively.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #339 on: July 08, 2008, 10:24:15 PM »
This obsession with being able to hit a 3 is really starting to piss me off.

Get used to it.  Floor spacing is now the biggest weakness this team has.  Talent isn't the only thing needed to win, the talent also needs to form a cohesive unit and complement each other.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 08, 2008, 10:29:53 PM »
Why can't Iggy be a #2 scorer?  His PPS and TS% are certainly good enough, and he can slash and get to the line.  This obsession with being able to hit a 3 is really starting to piss me off.  I also have an obsession with the word obsession

Because he doesn't have the first step, handles, body control or outside shot?

From all of the positives you can list about Iguodala, which are certainly true, he also has real holes in his game offensively.

Iggy is not  a natural scorer in the half-court set.  He can score well enough, great in the open court, hit a stand still three, etc.  But when the game slows down and he has to initiate his own scoring opportunities he struggles.  It os clearly hard work for him to do that kind of scoring.  Truthfully, with some of that load lifted off his shoulders I expect his deense to rebound a little from last season and in the half-court he can concentrate on facilitating for others and finishing from others, which is what he does best.  I think it will also help his three point shooting as well, not that he will become Kyle Korver or anything.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #341 on: July 08, 2008, 10:31:16 PM »
Seriously... since when did we EVER have a legit shot at Brand?? Hadn't those of us with a half a brain been saying for 5 months that Brand was not coming here?

I'm completely perplexed at the reaction some folks are having when they come to the realization that Brand is not really an option (or at least a realistic option).

Bump!

Guess someone doesn't have half a brain

;)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 08, 2008, 10:39:26 PM »
Its a good thing that Iguodala isn't selfish and that he is talented and willing passer.

Now when things close down on his drives he will have a few better options... like some pretty good safety valves in Brand, Thad, Lou, Miller and Sam (not a bad 5th option for a lob now that he will be the forgotten man on offense.)  Even better, many those option should be getting better over the next few years.

Iguodala often was out there with WG and Evans.  Add Sam, and that's 3 guys who couldn't pass.  Now Iguodala will be passing to at least 3 other teammates who can make the right decision.  The offense will flow so much better, even without great jump-shooter.

Jump shooting is an issue, but this team still has a ton of positives going for it on both ends ofthe court- and could really have few weaknesses if Lou, Thad and Iguodala continue to upgrade their jump shooting and shot selection (and all 3 have a high BB IQ and are willing passers as well as finishers.)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 10:42:53 PM by tk76- »

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #343 on: July 08, 2008, 10:41:38 PM »
Seriously... since when did we EVER have a legit shot at Brand?? Hadn't those of us with a half a brain been saying for 5 months that Brand was not coming here?

I'm completely perplexed at the reaction some folks are having when they come to the realization that Brand is not really an option (or at least a realistic option).

Bump!

Guess someone doesn't have half a brain

;)

A) I have only a quarter brain left at this point
and
B) Seriously... I was pulling your leg. I knew we were going to get him the entire time. Actually, did anyone who knew our cap situation see this coming???

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 08, 2008, 10:45:02 PM »
Didn't you here- the Dukies Brand and BK made a secret pact under the watchful eye of coach K to make this thing happen...

We should really be thanking BK for making this happen.  It was all part of his 3 year plan.  Not to mention the yet to be mentioned signing of Maggette to the minimum- he's a Dukie baby.