Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 249583 times)

Offline pointguard86

• View Profile
Re: Tracking Free Agency
« Reply #255 on: July 07, 2008, 05:24:19 PM »
I read somewhere that the sixers most likely would make an offer on Wed 7/9/08.  The cap would be establised that day.

To tk-76,

Good luck on your endeavor in Singapore.

jemagee

« Reply #256 on: July 07, 2008, 05:26:27 PM »
It's also the first day you can officially make offers to free agents - everything else is just sort of in limbo :)

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #257 on: July 07, 2008, 05:29:10 PM »
It's also the first day you can officially make offers to free agents - everything else is just sort of in limbo :)

More like purgatory.  Then we determine if this team is going to heaven or hell. 

jemagee

« Reply #258 on: July 07, 2008, 05:43:17 PM »
Relax said the nightman, we are programmed to receive

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 07, 2008, 06:12:32 PM »
Relax said the nightman, we are programmed to receive

That reminds me that Eagles training camp is right around the corner- but again I digress.
---

We could see some big news in the next 30 hours.

If Smith has agreed to sign a Philly offer sheet...
And Atl does not want to match...
We likely would see a sign and trade deal negotiated before any offer sheet is signed (before Wednesday.)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #260 on: July 07, 2008, 06:34:06 PM »
I wonder if there have been ANY discussions of a sign and trade between ATL and PHI. If there haven't, that would lead me to believe that ATL has every intention of matching any offer.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #261 on: July 07, 2008, 06:42:25 PM »
Quote from: 51X3RF4N
O yeah, and I read this on another forum...I would like to see how it compares to SF's info..

"Something I am hearing (i know i was wrong about randolph) but if sixers strike out on smith and it appears we have no chance on brand, then we will absorb knight 2 million expiring contract and get deandre jordan as compenstation.  Then we will offer kristic 3 years, 9 million and with the rest of our cap, offer it to josh childress"

This was posted on realgm. I think the idea of trading a little bit of cap space for Jordan and Knight makes a lot of sense since we need a vet PG and most of us would like Jordan. I imagine Sterling and the Clippers are looking to free up as much money as possible.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 07, 2008, 06:48:17 PM »
Sounds like a reasonable, if not inspiring plan.  Also makes it easier to move Miller if the right offer presents itself.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #263 on: July 07, 2008, 07:05:09 PM »
I'm a big Brevin Knight fan.  He's the quintessential backup PG.  But, while I think that's great value for Knight, Jordan, and Krstic, I don't want Childress at anything more than 6 mil a year.

jemagee

« Reply #264 on: July 07, 2008, 07:32:28 PM »
Brevin Knight is a great back up and i'm totally in favor of obtaining him and then seeing what lou can do (and trading andre) cause we have the back up.

I'm not sure what childress brings but making the bench more crowded....

Offline The Sixer Fixer

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 07, 2008, 07:49:24 PM »
If you are the Clippers do you make that trade with us or do you just renounce the qualifying offer to 2nd year guys like Marcus Williams and Nick Fazekas?

If I'm them I keep Jordan and let those guys go.

Offline sec106

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 07, 2008, 07:56:32 PM »
I'd be all over Crittenton. Everything I hear about him from an ACC guy I know is that he's got all the tools. Not sure if he was tight with Young, but if so that's a plus too

Love to make a move for this guy.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #267 on: July 07, 2008, 08:02:19 PM »
sec106:

Hard to imagine Memphis blowing its wad in FA on Andre Miller....unless things are even worse for them than it may turn out to be for us, and their best move is just to acquire more cap room for next summer (although I wonder if their ownership would be willing to spend the $$$ on a one-year rental).

Do they have any salary left to move?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #268 on: July 07, 2008, 08:55:52 PM »
marc stein reports that the signs are pointing the Sixers will offer Smith their max wednesday morning, and that the Hawks continue to privately insist they will match.  Also mentions the Bulls may be more interested in moving Gordon for a sign and trade, and keeping Hinrich to play the 2.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=FA-notes-080707

Notes:

? Philadelphia is still waiting to find out whether it might even have more than its estimated $11 million in salary-cap space once the league officially announces next season's cap ceiling for all teams. All signs continue to point to the Sixers signing Smith to a lucrative offer sheet as early as Wednesday. The Atlanta Hawks would then have seven days to match and continue to insist privately that they'll match any offer Smith gets.

? It is widely presumed that Chicago will soon trade guard Kirk Hinrich now that the Bulls have drafted Derrick Rose with the No. 1 overall pick, with Golden State likewise assumed to be atop the list of Hinrich suitors given the void created in the Warriors' backcourt by Davis' departure. But NBA front-office sources insist that there is some sentiment in the Bulls' organization to keep Hinrich -- a favorite of Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf -- and play him at shooting guard alongside Rose while trying to move restricted free agent Ben Gordon in a sign-and-trade to fill another Chicago need.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 07, 2008, 08:56:45 PM »
The Knight/Jordan move makes a ton of sense.  Earlie today the thought occurred to me that while we are trying to dump WG and/or Evans to free up cap space, maybe we could do the reverse for LAC as a way of getting Jordan, but I never got around to looking at their roster and contract.  A back-up PG with an expiring contract at only a couple of million is nearly too perfect to garner us Jordan.  

I am so-so on the Kristic move. I do prefer to take a chance on an injury risk over a character risk, but he better be healthy for a 3 year deal.  I smell Cristian Welp here, hopefully I'm just being paranoid, he was a good player before the injury.  Not enough minutes to go around for our bigs if we get Jordan and  Kristic and lose no one.  

Adding Childress and Kristic seem like moves made for other moves to be made later, we will have a lot of bigs and wings in the inventory to package with Miller at the deadline.  Until then the impact would seem negligible.  Can't say that group of deals, after geting past Jordan and Knight, does much for me as a packaged set.