Author Topic: Aaron McKie signs with the Lakers . . .  (Read 19943 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Aaron McKie signs with the Lakers . . .
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2005, 05:49:21 PM »

He made that bum Mitch Kupchek a GM so I expect Vlade to be President of Operations or something.  At least Vlade gave us solid play when he got here.
Do the current Lakers really need to be taught Flopping - 101? Seems like flopping should be second nature to them by now.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2005, 06:10:11 PM »
I guess it's only OK if Vlade flops in Kings purple, huh?
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2005, 01:07:52 AM »

He made that bum Mitch Kupchek a GM so I expect Vlade to be President of Operations or something.  At least Vlade gave us solid play when he got here.
Do the current Lakers really need to be taught Flopping - 101? Seems like flopping should be second nature to them by now.
Vlade always has been twice as bad as Derek Fisher ever was.  In both shades of purple.

Should a Kings fan really be taking shots when 'the flop' was actually apart of their defensive play book? :D  
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 01:07:59 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2005, 09:09:10 AM »
At least Vlade gave us solid play when he got here.

...in 1989.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2005, 09:24:43 AM »
At least Vlade gave us solid play when he got here.

...in 1989.
He played well in the early 90s also.  You do know the Lakers made it to the finals in the early 90s with Vlade playing well at center.

As for Mitch, he sucked then and he sucks now.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2005, 09:35:55 AM »
westkoast,

You misunderstand.  I'm saying Divac played well when he got there....in '89.  He didn't do ANYTHING for you guys when he got there this past year.

Vlade was a fine fixture at center for the early '90's Lakers.  But he was a washed-up bum this past season.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Guest_Randy

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2005, 09:49:11 AM »
Vlade played well for the Lakers of old but he had his best years with the Kings -- Vlade was probably one of the best passing and shooting (outside) big men the league has ever seen.  His defense was passable and he had a decent hook shot as well (I believe Kareem worked with him on his hook shot although I wouldn't compare it to the Sky Hook).  Vlade's weaknesses were inside -- he simply lacked the aggression to take it down low -- but Vlade was key to the Kings offense -- IMO, the Kings would have been even MORE devastating (and possibly won a title) if they had used Vlade at the top of the key instead of CWebb (who stagnated the Kings motion offense).  

Last year, the Lakers kept Vlade on the roster simply for his lockerroom presence -- he is a great guy to have in the lockerroom (even if the Kings didn't agree with that assessment).

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2005, 11:04:11 AM »
westkoast,

You misunderstand.  I'm saying Divac played well when he got there....in '89.  He didn't do ANYTHING for you guys when he got there this past year.

Vlade was a fine fixture at center for the early '90's Lakers.  But he was a washed-up bum this past season.
I did misunderstand and yes he did NOTHING.  Well, lets not say he did nothing.  He did an excellent job of cheering for the Lakers  :rolleyes:   The most expensive cheerleader of all time.

Vlade is not an aggresive player who is going to pound it in your chest like Amare does currently.  However, he is one of the smartest players in the post the league has seen in along time.

Randy, the news from cowtown via JoMaL is that he was GREAT in the lockerrom and really helped contribute to making it a fun place to play.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 11:05:30 AM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2005, 11:19:51 AM »
Vlade's problem for his entire career was his lack of commitment to the game.  For all his natural talent and skill set he NEVER reached his potential.  Vlade would never put in the work on conditioning and working out, hell he wouldn't even quit smoking at halftime, to become the player he was capable of being.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2005, 12:30:56 PM »
You Laker fans get sooooo sensitive and defensive once a player comes through LaLa land.

Vlade clearly made his mark with his running of the King's motion offense, especially when Webber was out. The difference in styles could be measured.

C-Webb was a great player in his own way when healthy and the Kings certainly were not suffering with him playing at his best, but when Vlade ran things, EVERYONE played better and it drove opponents batty as a result, which could not be said with Webber. Even the defense looked better because teams came to Arco with a bit of a desparate attitude to combat the Kings offense and in attempting to keep up, leading to more mistakes on their part.

But for the Lakers to have taken full advantage of Vlade's multitude of offensive talents, the team really would have had to install an offense similar to the one Adelman runs in SacTown. With Kobe Bryant, this would not have happened anyway, which is the main reason I questioned the signing of Divac by LA in the first place.  

But he certainly can be a terrific cheerleader from his spot on the bench.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Guest_Randy

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2005, 01:26:23 PM »
You Laker fans get sooooo sensitive and defensive once a player comes through LaLa land.

Hmm, really?  It seems to me that I stated pretty much what you stated -- only I said it first.

As for Kobe never allowing Vlade to play that way -- it's pretty much the same role that Malone played on the top of the key the year before with great success (until Malone went down with the injury).  

Vlade wasn't healthy for most of last year -- and the Lakers aren't going to rebuild with veterans -- they are going to do it with youth.  There was simply no point in playing Vlade simply to try and win a few more games -- it was about trying to develop some of their current young players -- however, it became pretty apparent that most of that talent isn't going to develop (see Medvendenko and Brian Cook).  It WAS worth having Vlade on the roster simply to have him in the locker room.  LA will offer Vlade some kind of position on staff -- simply because he is a great guy to have around younger players. -- it's a shame that the Kings didn't realize how important Vlade was to their team chemistry, huh?

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2005, 02:58:56 PM »
Hmm, really?  It seems to me that I stated pretty much what you stated -- only I said it first.

As for Kobe never allowing Vlade to play that way -- it's pretty much the same role that Malone played on the top of the key the year before with great success (until Malone went down with the injury).  

Vlade wasn't healthy for most of last year -- and the Lakers aren't going to rebuild with veterans -- they are going to do it with youth.  There was simply no point in playing Vlade simply to try and win a few more games -- it was about trying to develop some of their current young players -- however, it became pretty apparent that most of that talent isn't going to develop (see Medvendenko and Brian Cook).  It WAS worth having Vlade on the roster simply to have him in the locker room.  LA will offer Vlade some kind of position on staff -- simply because he is a great guy to have around younger players. -- it's a shame that the Kings didn't realize how important Vlade was to their team chemistry, huh?
You Laker fans get sooooooo self-moralizing when a failed experiment happens in LaLa land.

Vlade's chemical balancing act won't mean nearly as much to the Lakers once he retires, otherwise I would venture Magic's post-career time and effort put forth for the team might have had a much better result, as would MJ's with Washington. Too bad THAT is the best-case scenario the Lakers have to hope for regarding their failed experiment in bringing the aging center to Los Angeles in the first place.

As for developing the future Laker team by an overall youth movement, that should prove interesting, don't you think? I mean, who are we talking about here? Andrew Bynum? With Kwame Brown as his four-year NBA veteran "tutor" to show him the ropes, this should be an excellent time for the young man to learn how to conduct himself in the pros. Brian Cook? With the talents of Chris Mihm to follow, his growth as a dominant power forward in the League will be measured in feet instead of inches.

But let's not forget the mentoring of Vlade Divac, standing on the sidelines in his Lakergirl cheerleading outfit, or leading a rousing chorus of the Serbian National Anthem in the locker room, while showing young Sasha Vujacic and Slava Medvedenko how to roll a cigarette one-handed while using the other hand to demonstrate how Magic taught him the no-look beer guzzle.

Way to go Randy. Your smug satisfaction with the direction the Lakers are taking is worthy of a heartfelt 'attaboy'  :bs:  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2005, 03:17:28 PM »
Hmm, really?  It seems to me that I stated pretty much what you stated -- only I said it first.

Vlade wasn't healthy for most of last year -- and the Lakers aren't going to rebuild with veterans -- they are going to do it with youth.  There was simply no point in playing Vlade simply to try and win a few more games -- it was about trying to develop some of their current young players -- however, it became pretty apparent that most of that talent isn't going to develop (see Medvendenko and Brian Cook).  It WAS worth having Vlade on the roster simply to have him in the locker room.  LA will offer Vlade some kind of position on staff -- simply because he is a great guy to have around younger players. -- it's a shame that the Kings didn't realize how important Vlade was to their team chemistry, huh?
You Laker fans get sooooooo self-moralizing when a failed experiment happens in LaLa land.

Vlade's chemical balancing act won't mean nearly as much to the Lakers once he retires, otherwise I would venture Magic's post-career time and effort put forth for the team might have had a much better result, as would MJ's with Washington. Too bad THAT is the best-case scenario the Lakers have to hope for regarding their failed experiment in bringing the aging center to Los Angeles in the first place.

As for developing the future Laker team by an overall youth movement, that should prove interesting, don't you think? I mean, who are we talking about here? Andrew Bynum? With Kwame Brown as his four-year NBA veteran "tutor" to show him the ropes, this should be an excellent time for the young man to learn how to conduct himself in the pros. Brian Cook? With the talents of Chris Mihm to follow, his growth as a dominant power forward in the League will be measured in feet instead of inches.

But let's not forget the mentoring of Vlade Divac, standing on the sidelines in his Lakergirl cheerleading outfit, or leading a rousing chorus of the Serbian National Anthem in the locker room, while showing young Sasha Vujacic and Slava Medvedenko how to roll a cigarette one-handed while using the other hand to demonstrate how Magic taught him the no-look beer guzzle.

Way to go Randy. Your smug satisfaction with the direction the Lakers are taking is worthy of a heartfelt 'attaboy'  :bs:
Way to go Randy. Your smug satisfaction with the direction the Lakers are taking is worthy of a heartfelt 'attaboy'

Isn't it amazing -- it seems fans of other teams see all those banners hanging from the rafters for the Staple Center and automatically think that the Lakers are sitting in smug satisfaction -- no, it's simply a patience that comes with winning over and over again -- watching the Lakers win, then rebuild, win then rebuild, win -- hopefully you get the point.  

I understand -- fans of teams like the Kings and Spurs -- they don't understand the process of rebuilding -- they've never experience having to wait a few patient years for your team to once again put a championship team together so it's okay, I understand your lack of experience in this area.

As for the Lakers building on youth -- it's true -- the Lakers are currently playing with a group of youth to see who will fit into the near future (notice I didn't say that present).  The Lakers, in 2007, will have $14 mill in cap money to throw at a superstar to join Kobe, a few select present young players and a few veteran players added to the recipe to add more banners to the rafters of the Staples Center.  

It's understandable -- as a Kings fan, you don't have a clue what rebuilding is -- YET!!!  Of course, only time will tell whether the Kings will ever have the ability to rebuild -- esp. since fiscal responsibility seems to be the theme in SacTown rather than adding top players.

PS - Note that the Lakers are bring Kareem in to tutor with Andrew Bynum.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2005, 04:00:08 PM »
Isn't it amazing -- it seems fans of other teams see all those banners hanging from the rafters for the Staple Center and automatically think that the Lakers are sitting in smug satisfaction -- no, it's simply a patience that comes with winning over and over again -- watching the Lakers win, then rebuild, win then rebuild, win -- hopefully you get the point. 

I see Laker fans sitting in something all right, but I have never heard it called "smug satisfaction" before.

It is nice to know you still find such satisfaction in any bodily function you are still capable of performing with just an industrial strength enema as an aid.  But the 'win, then rebuild, win then rebuild, win -- " mantra leads one to think you may need a different kind of chemical input to slow the verbal diarrhea that a down basketball year induces with some people ----  hopefully you get the point.

I understand -- fans of teams like the Kings and Spurs -- they don't understand the process of rebuilding -- they've never experience having to wait a few patient years for your team to once again put a championship team together so it's okay, I understand your lack of experience in this area.

And anyone currently with the Lakers does? For all of Phil Jackson's championships on his resume, I do not think 'rebuilding' has been prominently enough displayed. It has been quite a while since he took over a squad that did not already have most of the pieces in place. Or, for that matter, a superstar player who really does not listen to him much, or whom he respects. Waiting for Jackson and Kobe to agree on a play to win a basketball game this season or even several years from now ----THAT is the manifestation of true patience in a Laker fan.  

As for the Lakers building on youth -- it's true -- the Lakers are currently playing with a group of youth to see who will fit into the near future (notice I didn't say that present).  The Lakers, in 2007, will have $14 mill in cap money to throw at a superstar to join Kobe, a few select present young players and a few veteran players added to the recipe to add more banners to the rafters of the Staples Center.

Ummmm --- the Lakers will have a lot more then 14 million in cap room by 2007 to throw at free agents, Randy.

But extrapolating future championship banners to be hung at Staples based on past success just might lead you to think that is a guarantee. I would not be banking on Yao Ming, for instance, being interested in coming to LA, nor Tracy McGrady (conflicting egos with Bryant will hinder that one).

Anyway, you only could have more success with Bryant staying with the Lakers if you get the best front line player in the League to join him, because the back court is already full no matter who you have playing next to Kobe. Did I mention that I think the Lakers are never going to return to championhip status again as long as Bryant stays with the Lakers?

Now where on earth would I have gotten THAT idea?

It's understandable -- as a Kings fan, you don't have a clue what rebuilding is -- YET!!!  Of course, only time will tell whether the Kings will ever have the ability to rebuild -- esp. since fiscal responsibility seems to be the theme in SacTown rather than adding top players.

We just DID have to rebuild, replacing 2/5ths of our starting lineup and replacing our veteran backup point guard. But unlike you and your aspirations of future Laker championships based on the past, I really have no idea if the starting five the Kings now have truly IS the best in the NBA, as has been suggested by various sports links. But then, we juuuuust missed out adding Kwame Brown and Aaron McKie to our team, right? Two guys who just might be those missing players that will lead the Lakers and their youth movement to soon be adding that extra banner to Staples within the next ten years.

PS - Note that the Lakers are bring Kareem in to tutor with Andrew Bynum.

Now, if I had heard you say that the Lakers are bringing back Kareem to tutor Kareem Jr, well let's just sew up that next banner right this minute.

Bynum is to 'potential' what Kwame is to 'fulfilled potential'.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 04:05:34 PM by JoMal »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2005, 05:38:58 PM »
Again JoMaL for I believe the third time....

Why the hell would LA want Tracy McGrady when they have Kobe Bryant?  Kobe is better on both ends of the court than T-Mac is.  I just dont see why you keep bringing up him comming to LA in 2007.