Author Topic: Aaron McKie signs with the Lakers . . .  (Read 19940 times)

rickortreat

Aaron McKie signs with the Lakers . . .
« Reply #135 on: August 30, 2005, 02:21:01 PM »
I can't speak for Jazz fans, but I'm sure many of them were dissapointed that the Jazz didn't win a title.

Sure Malone and Stockton gave them great entertainment for years and were allways a threat to go deep in the playoffs.  But no fan on any team is satisfied with that.  

They all want a championship, and preferable multiple championships with the same team.  They want to relive the Celtics run or the Bulls run, where they can talk smack with any other B-ball fan, who has to hear that this team is the greatest this or that.  As a Sixers fan I'm not satisfied that we got to one NBA final in 18 years.  That SUCKS!  No, we want to see AI get back to the finals and win at least one.

Face it, isn't that what it's about for an LA fan, isn't that what you guys are doing on this board?  You sure aren't looking forward to what the Lakers will do next season, miss the playoffs for the second year in a row.

No, you want to talk about how they're the greatest sports franshise in the history of the NBA, that year in and year out, they out-compete every other team on and off the court.

There's something to be said about continuity.  In all the time the Lakers have been in LA, they've had one owner.  Philly has gone to the finals with three different ownership groups.  IMO, they finally have a winning combination with Comcast behind Ed Snyder.  Since they took over the team has been more competitive which makes them a better ownership group than the one that traded Wilt away.

The Celtics also had a long success story that lasted until Red got too old.  There's something to be said for traditions like that.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: August 30, 2005, 03:51:32 PM »
"Face it, isn't that what it's about for an LA fan, isn't that what you guys are doing on this board? You sure aren't looking forward to what the Lakers will do next season, miss the playoffs for the second year in a row."

Uhh no.  Thats not why I am here and while Id be mad if they missed the playoffs again....that doesnt mean that winning a championship is the only thing I care about.  If that was true then I would have stopped watching them the years after the Bulls trounched them.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 30, 2005, 04:09:20 PM »
Good post Rick, no fan should ever be satisfied with just making the playoffs year in and year out, I'm sure 19 years of playoff appearances and 2 Finals let downs do little to asuage Jazz fans and the lack of at least 1 championship banner, especially since, IMO, they were completely robbed in game 6 in '97-'98 by the infamaous Jordan pushoff that prevented a for sure game 7, and I think the Jazz were good enough to beat the Bulls that year.

I know it has to be frustrating to be so close, remember the Lakers have lost only one less Finals than they have won, and were the Celtics redheaded step child for a decade, so we know guys, what it feels like to be close but not close enough.

But from our perspective (Laker fans), the piling on when the team is down, or when they make a stupid move is rabid beyond belief, the rubbing it in is a real trip, I recall congratulating every team that finds success, and condolances when they come up short. I did so with the Spurs, I did so even with the Pistons who are not even represented here, as have many other Laker fans on this board, but I daresay the reverse is not true, and in fact, the glee coming from the opposing camps reaches new heights when the Lakers blow it. You simply don't hear the chants of "BEAT (insert team name here), BEAT (insert team name here)," anywhere like you hear "BEAT LA, BEAT LA". That mindset from opposing fans comes from sheer frustration at the ridiculously high percentage of times teams that are oh so close can't beat LA, the New York Yankee's feel that same heat. That is all cool with me personally, because it is part of the game. But let's not think for a minute that the expectations aren't higher here, they simply are, someone made a point that Cleveland knows no such success so their expectations, because they are unfulfilled, are naturally lower, Kings, Spurs, and Jazz fans, living in the shadow of the most consistantly successful team in NBA history IMO became not just friendly rivals but bitter enemies of the Lakers and revelled in their failures almost more than their respective teams success, particularly Kings fans because of the Cali rivalry and LA arrogance. Well, the Spurs finally broke through (even though the team they built was initially built to beat the Jazz, not the Lakers) and so that bitterness should be gone, the milk money series notwithstanding, but still, no one gets piled on like we do, and when the team is down like it is now, the only thing we can do is remind everyone of our long history of success and smugly assure everyone we will be back.

And no Rick, I for one am NOT looking forward to the next couple (or few) years for the Lakers, it will be painful indeed, but like a true fan, no matter how bad it gets, I will be here, rooting for their turnaround and cursing their failures, like I always have. That is where Reality has an edge on all of us, we know he'll jump ship and back the next winner coming down the pike.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 04:12:14 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

rickortreat

« Reply #138 on: August 30, 2005, 08:43:54 PM »
Well, it's tough to be the big kid on the block.  LA is hated more than other teams because of their success and because LA is what it is.  All the razzing and everything else is what you get from the other fans when your team is the best, take it with a sense of pride, they hate you because your team has gotten the better of them more often than not.

IMO every fan hates every team in the NBA except their own, particularly those who have always stayed in one place.  Since I've moved around a bit, I've adopted other teams and I give credit where it's due.

The Beat LA chant... started years ago in the 60's, when the real rivalry in the NBA was Philly-Boston.  As a Philly fan I hated the Celtics, Red and his Cigar, their swagger, the damn stupid drunken irishman logo, all of it.  But as much as we hated Boston and they hated us, we both hated LA even more.  We'd beat the crap out of each other year after year while LA would cake walk through the west.  We thought that many of the times we got to the championship we lost because we were so beat up comming out of the east.

The wars with the Celtics were a big deal to fans from both areas, and they left everything on the floor.  But when it was all said and done, fans from either city would rather see the Sixers or Celts beat LA, it was sort of a sign of respect, that they and we knew that it made us one step closer to the championship if we lost to the eventual champs instead of the Lakers.

Look this board is in Philly and most of the fans came here in the MSNBC days.  But the team that's the most well represented here is the Lakers.  Your city is the largest one with a decent b-ball team.  Yeah we are ganging up on you guys a little bit, but paybacks are a b-tch.  We wouldn't be doing it, if your team was a one-shot wonder.

Ultimately though you are a real fan and a class act.  You stay with your team through thick and thin, more like a Philly or Boston fan, than the sterotypical LA fan that will only go to see a winner.  You take pleasure in seeing the team work it's way back to the top, watching them grow up step by step. That's what a real fan is, one who stays with it's team when it's down.  That doesn't make you a looser, that makes you a winner.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: August 30, 2005, 08:54:09 PM »
Who would have thought a 139 post thread would come from Aaron McKie.

Love ya Blue!

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #140 on: August 31, 2005, 09:35:22 AM »
they were completely robbed in game 6 in '97-'98 by the infamaous Jordan pushoff that prevented a for sure game 7, and I think the Jazz were good enough to beat the Bulls that year.

Tell me about it, LFD,  let's also not forget the 3 point shot by Eisley at halftime that DIDN'T count that SHOULD have.  And the 3 point shot by Kerr at the end of the third that DID count that SHOULDN'T have.  That's a six point turnaround, so Jordan's famed offensive foul last shot shouldn't have even mattered.  

That's what a real fan is, one who stays with it's team when it's down.

See Rick, I live in Columbia, MO.  Six hours away from the Bulls, five and half hours away from the Grizzlies, eleven hours from the Nuggets, Seven hours away from the Pacers, etc.  Needless to say if we want to see an NBA game, we have got a long drive ahead of us.  Because of my location I haven't had the opportunity to grow up with a team and live and die with it and bleed its colors.  

The season I remember the most is the 93-94 season, because TNT had two games a week (Tues. and Fri.) and TBS showed a Hawks game every Wed.  I was pretty much glued to the set the entire season.  That year Seattle started out 11-0 and gained my attention, I remembered them pushing the Suns (who I hated because they beat the Lakers in round 1) the year before to seven games in the 92-93 playoffs.  And I remember really liking the way Shawn Kemp electrified the game.  The Sonics became my favorite team and Kemp my favorite player.  Kemp, Payton, Hawkins, Schrempf, Perkins, McMillan, Wingate, and Brick:  I loved everybody on that team.  But when Mac and Brick retired, Perkins left (for Indy), Schrempf left (for Portland), Wingate left, and Kemp was traded (to Cleveland: I hate you Pete Vescey), and Coach Karl left; I looked around and could only find Payton from my beloved team and it wasn't as if he was one of my top favorites.  It was hard for me to claim the Seattle Supersonics as my favorite team.  I haven't had a favorite team since, sure I've claimed the Bucks and the Jazz (the team I like best, now) at times, but never like the Sonics.  Rick, does it make me any less a fan because I'm more loyal to the people than I am to the colors?          
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

rickortreat

« Reply #141 on: August 31, 2005, 09:51:44 AM »
Not from the NBA marketers point of view.  They've done everything possible to promote players to superstar status, in the hope of mainatining viewer interest in teams that don't actually compete for a title.

Considering where you live, it's tough to find a team to adopt. The St. Louis Hawks moved to Atlanta a long time ago, and the KC Kings are now in Sactown.  

It really comes down to you and what motivates you to watch.  A player can develop over time as a team does, and if it gives you pleasure and reward to watch a player become better and better than it does make you a fan, just not a fan of a team.

To me Basketball is a team game, and no player is bigger than the game, although some are much bigger than others.  I'm more of a fan of a franshise, because that's the way I think about the game.

The thing is, it must be tough for you to have a favorite team, since your probably not given the opportunity to watch the same team over and over again.  I think most of the markets have cable and some way or another all the games are available to be seen for the local team.   If you can't see them all the time, it's hard to be a fan of that team, because you can't see all the changes they go through.

I guess you could get the NBA ticket package and then have the opportunity, but what about the other fans in your area?  Do they have a favorite team and is it consistent for the population?  It helps to be fans of a team that the people you're likely to meet are interested in.  In Philly there are a few Cowboy fans, but generally no one likes them.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: August 31, 2005, 09:53:36 AM »

IMO every fan hates every team in the NBA except their own, particularly those who have always stayed in one place.  Since I've moved around a bit, I've adopted other teams and I give credit where it's due.

Thats not true Rick.  While I live and will die rooting for purple and gold there are  a number of  teams I enjoy to watch.  The Spurs being one of them because of their defense and consistancy.   I enjoy the Heat quite a bit also.  

Then there are other teams I am intrested in but dont follow as closely as those above like the Rockets and Cavs.

See the problem is that its hard to really get into other teams, especially back east, when I get off work at 5 and sit in traffic till 6 or 6:30.   That teamed up with the fact that they dont play alot of games for the first half of the season....I dont get to follow many teams.  Its not that I dont want to, its that I really cant.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: August 31, 2005, 10:11:03 AM »
And I'm much in the same situation as Skander.

I cheered for the Phoenix Suns, who I just happened to watch in a Sunday game on NBC in 1978-79.  The '79 Suns were my first team:  Alvan Adams (#33) at the center, Truck Robinson (#21) and Walter Davis (#6) at the forwards, Don Buse (#10) and Paul Westphal (#44) at the guards, backed up by Mike Bratz, Ted McClain, Joel Kramer, Bayard Forrest, Gar Heard, and Alvin Scott.

And then those bastards traded Paul Westphal for DENNIS JOHNSON!  I HATED DENNIS JOHNSON!  THAT'S ONE OF THOSE SOB'S THAT BEAT MY TEAM IN '79!  Alvan Adams isn't going to start?  Walter Davis is going to play the 2?  Don Buse isn't going to play?

The heck with it.  I'm leaving to cheer for Philadelphia.  Bobby Jones and Maurice Cheeks and Dr. J and Caldwell Jones...I like the way they play.  Caldwell Jones is gone, Malone comes on board, and Philadelphia wins it all.  But you know something...I really liked the look of that Milwaukee team.  

So I'm a Bucks fan.  Paul Pressey and Sidney Moncrief and Bob Lanier and Alton Lister and Craig Hodges and Rickey Pierce and Paul Mokeski and Mike Dunleavy.  Lanier retires.  JACK SIKMA?  FROM THE '79 SEATTLE SONICS!  FOR ALTON LISTER?  You m************!

Fine.  I'm a Mavericks fan.  Brad Davis and Rolando Blackman and Derek Harper and James Donaldson and OOH...SAM PERKINS from my Carolina team...and Mark Aguirre, even if he is a little whiny, and DICK MOTTA as a coach...OOH...John McLeod from my Suns as a coach...and Brad Davis retires, and Roy Tarpley is busted for drugs, and MARK AGUIRRE FOR ADRIAN DANTLEY...and OOH...Detlef Schrempf...and 14 feet of bum to replace Donaldson (Uwe Blab and Bill Wennington), with me cheering the draft pick of Wennington and him turning out to be a complete bust...

The Cavaliers.  The Hornets.   OOH...THE JAZZ.  It's 1994, and I'm watching Stockton put on the greatest domination of the game I've ever seen by a passer - 11 assists and 1 steal in the 4th quarter of a tied game.  Jay Humphries!  He was picked by Phoenix, and played in Milwaukee!  Hornacek - the guy from Iowa State that the Antlers sent the pizza to (and got to miss a free throw!).  And Tom Chambers.

I stuck with the Jazz because the Jazz stuck with Stockton and Malone and Hornacek and Sloan.  Two years back, I DIDN'T like the opening season line-up of the Jazz.  DeShawn Stevenson?  This is INTOLERABLE.  OOH!  But Utah just dumped him...got Gordan Giricek!  

YES, I like a lot of marginal players.  But that's what draws me to various teams, I guess.  Stockton is probably the only Hall-Of-Fame worthy player I've ever had as my favorite:  Alvan Adams, Bobby Jones, Maurice Cheeks, Craig Ehlo, John Stockton....and now, I'd have to go with Tayshaun Prince.

There are soft spots in my heart for certain teams - Phoenix, Milwaukee, Philly, Dallas, and Utah.  But it's the PLAYERS that drew me...it sure as heck wasn't the success, since only Philly would have been considered an elite-level team.  All the others were a level below that.  But they were FUN teams to watch.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!