Author Topic: Aaron McKie signs with the Lakers . . .  (Read 19939 times)

Guest_Randy

Aaron McKie signs with the Lakers . . .
« on: August 22, 2005, 08:09:32 AM »
for half ($2.5 mill) of the midlevel exemption.  

Okay, the Lakers really didn't need another 2 guard -- so are they REALLY going to start McKie at the PG position?   :unsure:

They need to have somebody who can help guard the quick PG's in the league -- Kobe is a very good defender but he isn't fast enough to chase PG's like AI, Parker, etc.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 10:05:29 AM »
Mckie could have played pg in a pinch 4 years ago.  Not now.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 10:28:15 AM »
He'll play 2 and Kobe will play 3 if anything.  No way they put him at the point.  Laker fans gave GP a hell of a problem for not staying in front of faster PGs.  At this point even John Stockon could come out of retirement and run circles around him.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 11:11:31 AM »
I disagree.  I think McKie *CAN* play point for the Lakers.

Jackson's defensive scheme does not require a point guard to be fast...but rather, to force the action to specific points on the court - like Ron Harper used to do.  That doesn't require a lot of speed - but does require good position.  McKie can do that.

The place where McKie will hurt LA is on the offensive end.  He's not nearly as offensively talented as the big point guards Jackson is used to working with.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

rickortreat

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 12:56:25 PM »
McKie can run the point on offense.  He'll be a little slow againt the quicker PG's on defense, but on offense, he's bigger and stronger than most of them, and will be able to back them down in the paint or shoot over them.

He's a very solid player, and makes few errors.  He's also committed to defense and should help the Lakers on that end, even though he'll be over matched againt the other PG's speedwise.  Most of the PG's in the West aren't great scorers anyway.

He's good at distributing the ball and at getting open for a shot.  My only question is how healthy is he?  He was getting fewer and fewer minutes in Philly, part of that was O'brien wanting to develop the other guards and Iverson taking up lots of minutes, but I thought he was simply getting old.  

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 01:55:34 PM »
McKie's not going to be as big of a defensive liability as you guys are making it out to be.  He never relied on his speed.  You'll find his hands are one of the best in the business (he can pick his own mans pocket, not gamble for stills like ai, right off the dribble, without losing position as good as anyone i've seen).  And he has great anticipation.

He won't be lockdown, like he could have been 4 years ago, but he'll be adequate.

Honestly, if this were 4 years ago, he'd be tailor made for the point in the triangle.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 02:14:03 PM »
I disagree.  I think McKie *CAN* play point for the Lakers.

Jackson's defensive scheme does not require a point guard to be fast...but rather, to force the action to specific points on the court - like Ron Harper used to do.  That doesn't require a lot of speed - but does require good position.  McKie can do that.

The place where McKie will hurt LA is on the offensive end.  He's not nearly as offensively talented as the big point guards Jackson is used to working with.
Mckie isnt exactly Ron Harper at this point in his career and who is he going to run them into???  Rodman? Ho Grant?  Luc Longley?  Shaq?  No.  He has Chris Mihm, Vlade Divac, and Kwame Brown to run players into.  Not exactly the best solution to handle a troublesome quicker PG.

Mihm is a shot blocker but cannot keep himself on the court for very long.  Vlade hasnt swatted a ball in 5 years at least.  Brown  :unsure:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 02:15:55 PM by westkoast »

Guest_Randy

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 02:22:06 PM »
Actually, I think Kwame is a better shotblocker than Chris Mihm -- although that isn't saying much.  However, Mihm is as good as Luc Longley ever was (again, that leaves a LOT to be desired) but even with MJ and the Lakers with Shaq -- PJ has always had a VERY good defender and rebounder -- that is missing on the present Lakers.  

PJ definately has his work cut out for him!!!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 04:56:26 PM »
Actually, I think Kwame is a better shotblocker than Chris Mihm -- although that isn't saying much.  However, Mihm is as good as Luc Longley ever was (again, that leaves a LOT to be desired) but even with MJ and the Lakers with Shaq -- PJ has always had a VERY good defender and rebounder -- that is missing on the present Lakers.  

PJ definately has his work cut out for him!!!
He can get up higher and faster but hes not very intimidating, not that Chris Mihm is Shaq but he weighs more than 60 pounds when hes wet and wearing boots.  Just my opinion.

Both the Bulls and Lakers championship squads were very good defensive teams.  This Laker squad isnt solid on the defensive end from the 1 to the 5.  Sure hes use to large PGs running players to key spots on the floor but those key spots are now going to contain Odom, Mihm, Brown, Divac, Med-a-stanko, Luke Walton, etc etc

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 05:03:10 PM »
McKie doesn't have to play point guard in the traditional sense...ball handling will fall to Kobe & Odom.  Compare his role to Paxson/Kerr from the Bulls days.  He is there to play adequate team defense and hit the open shot.  The adequate defense I don't see as a problem...hitting the open shot is another matter.  Also stamina to put in 82 games and starter's minutes.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 06:11:09 PM »
Hitting an open shot I don't see as a problem.  As long as he has time to set the catapult up.  Defending quicker pg's will be a bit of a problem.

And yeah, with his heart condition, there's no way he lasts a season playing even close to starters minutes.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 06:11:33 PM by dbodner »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 10:11:07 AM »
Hitting an open shot I don't see as a problem.  As long as he has time to set the catapult up.  Defending quicker pg's will be a bit of a problem.

And yeah, with his heart condition, there's no way he lasts a season playing even close to starters minutes.
Can you imagine how slow the game will go with Vlade and Mckie on the floor at once?

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 01:45:53 PM »
I understand that Vlade is going to retire -- I even hear that Buss is offering him a position on the Lakers staff (probably just to try and get Peja in purple and gold).

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2005, 03:13:20 PM »
I tend to agree with Joe and Derrick, where McKie makes up for his lack of speed is he is a a very smart, intuitive denfensive player, he will give up some points on fast breaks but than the Lakers aren't a speed team anyway, and Jackson has never prefered that kind of play anyway, ball control on the offensive side and tempo control on the defensive end, both styles play well to McKie's strengths. Besides I really would rather see Kobe move to the 3 spot anyway, I have always felt it was his more natural position, McKie would do well at the SG spot taking some pressure off the front court allowing Kobe to slash and burn. I know this won't happen though and I still feel comfortable with McKie at the point, a ball control offense with someone with his passing skills and intelligent play will not hurt LA at all.

Personally, I like this aqquisition quite a bit, I know we won't get starter minutes from him but he will be a great spark off the bench.
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2005, 04:04:16 PM »
I understand that Vlade is going to retire -- I even hear that Buss is offering him a position on the Lakers staff (probably just to try and get Peja in purple and gold).
He made that bum Mitch Kupchek a GM so I expect Vlade to be President of Operations or something.  At least Vlade gave us solid play when he got here.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 04:04:31 PM by westkoast »