Author Topic: Richard Jefferson to the spurs  (Read 23356 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Richard Jefferson to the spurs
« on: June 23, 2009, 12:26:58 PM »
for Bruce Bowen, Kurt Thomas and Fabricio Oberto

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Richard Jefferson to the spurs
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 12:31:05 PM »
Excellent move for the Spurs. 
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 12:50:13 PM »
sweet trade, sorry to see bruce leave though...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 01:09:08 PM »
Excellent move for the Spurs. 

I agree, get rid of three aging guys for a solid SF.

Sad to see Bowen go but he just can't defend like he use to at his age.  Not his fault.  He's like the NBA version of Mathew Mac in Dazed And Confused "I keep getting older and they stay the same age"
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 01:09:29 PM »
Now all we need is a starting center.   ;)

Losing both Thomas and Oberto leaves the Spurs thin up front unless...
  1) they plan to re-sign Gooden
  2) Mahinmi is fully recovered from his foot problems
  3) Splitter has decided to leave Europe

I also read where the Bucks will release Oberto & Bowen since each have just partially guaranteed contracts.  So cheer up, X3, Bruce may still be on the opening day roster...
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 01:15:07 PM »

I also read where the Bucks will release Oberto & Bowen since each have just partially guaranteed contracts.  So cheer up, X3, Bruce may still be on the opening day roster...

pass on gooden IMO.

it would be nice if splitter comes to the U.S.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 01:45:12 PM »
The average age on the Spurs just dropped 3-4 years with that trade, the Spurs are YOUNGER!

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 02:18:24 PM »
Great move by the Spurs.  Especially if they can re-sign Bowen and Fabs. 

I've always like Richard Jefferson as a person and player ... got to see him quite a bit in college.  I'm not sure he's fully lived up to his NBA potential yet, but I think a lot of it has to do with the teams he's been on so far.  I'm interested to see how he can flourish with the seasoned Spurs where he doesn't have to be "the man".  I think this could potentially be a fantastic fit for him and the Spurs. 

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 02:43:52 PM »

pass on gooden IMO.

Gooden isn't my first choice either.  But the only PF/C on the roster besides Duncan is now Bonner.  Duncan/Bonner starting with ??? (rookies/castoffs) off the bench doesn't sound like the recipe for a deep playoff run.  At least Gooden is a capable NBA PF.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 02:46:12 PM »

pass on gooden IMO.

Gooden isn't my first choice either.  But the only PF/C on the roster besides Duncan is now Bonner.  Duncan/Bonner starting with ??? (rookies/castoffs) off the bench doesn't sound like the recipe for a deep playoff run.  At least Gooden is a capable NBA PF.

I have got my fingers crossed the Spurs are looking for  new center and PF to help tim.  otherwise, yeah, i gues we would have to deal with Gooden.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 02:54:33 PM »
A couple items from ESPN...

Hollinger (on Buck's side):
Oberto is guaranteed only $1.9 million for the 2009-10 season and Bowen only $2 million. Both will likely be waived in the coming days in order to avoid paying their full salaries (Bowen becomes fully guaranteed on Aug. 1, Oberto on July 1). The trade will save Milwaukee $6.35 million in payroll, and possibly more if the Bucks can reach a buyout agreement with Thomas.

That money will be put to good use. With roughly $9.4 million in wiggle room now available under the luxury tax line, the Bucks are in a much better position to defend against offers to Villanueva and Sessions. Even if re-signing both puts the Bucks slightly over the tax line, they'll have until the trade deadline to strip the extra dollars from the payroll and could easily shed Charlie Bell or Malik Allen at that point to get back under. The Bucks can also get further under the tax line by trading the 10th overall pick in Thursday's draft.

So it's not such a head-scratcher after all from the Bucks' side: They basically just traded Jefferson for Villanueva and Sessions. They never should have put themselves in this position in the first place, but it was a pretty crafty escape maneuver.

Hollinger (on Spurs):
As for the Spurs, it's another example of how their superior cap management allows them to make deals that aren't available to a lot of other teams. Because the Spurs had three players on short-term deals and two of them weren't fully guaranteed, they were able to send out three role players and get back a starting small forward. Jefferson should provide a dramatic upgrade from the Michael Finley-Bowen combo that manned the position a season ago, and he adds a desperately needed shot creator to take some of the heat off Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and the increasingly brittle Manu Ginobili.

However, one thing that may have caught San Antonio's attention was his 39.7 percent mark on 3-pointers in 2008-09, a career high that he set by taking far more attempts than he'd taken in the past. The Spurs ask their small forwards to spot up in the corners as much as any team in the league, and Jefferson made 54-of-118 (45.9 percent) from those spots a season ago. If that wasn't a fluke and he nails it consistently, he can really make opponents pay for doubling Duncan, Parker or Ginobili.

And for RealSpurs there is this quote from Hollinger:
And the other teams in the West have to be shaking their heads, because at first it seems unfathomable that the Spurs could get a 20-point scorer for three spare parts. But follow the money, and it all makes sense.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 03:04:03 PM »
That's great Lurker but let us RealLakers know when you can trade Oberto for Dwight Howard.  That's when we will be impressed!

I am curious what you guys might think the starting 5 will look like.  Is Jefferson going to play the 2 or the 3?  I am going to assume hes going to start but I am not sure where.  I am assuming this shoots Finley to the bench unless they have them at the 2 and 3 together with Manu the first person off the bench to relieve either one?

All the talk about Jefferon's points per game is great but people forget he's not a bad defender.  I am interested to see if he gets even better under Pop-a-snitch.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 03:13:19 PM »

And the other teams in the West have to be shaking their heads, because at first it seems unfathomable that the Spurs could get a 20-point scorer for three spare parts. But follow the money, and it all makes sense.

westkoast I am stunned you didn't jump all over this, it sets itself up perfectly.  The Bucks trade a 20ppg scorer and all-star in his prime for 2 players they will release almost immediately, and a player who was over the hill 4 years ago, who they intend on buying out.  Smell like the dreaded "C" word, what is Sternfish up to here.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 03:16:16 PM by ziggy »
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 03:24:37 PM »

I am curious what you guys might think the starting 5 will look like.  Is Jefferson going to play the 2 or the 3?  I am going to assume hes going to start but I am not sure where.  I am assuming this shoots Finley to the bench unless they have them at the 2 and 3 together with Manu the first person off the bench to relieve either one?

IMO

Parker
Mason
Jefferson
Gooden (but this is biggest ? )
Duncan

Manu backs up the 1-2-3 spots; Udoka/Finley the 3 (some 4 when playing small); still need a vet PF/C
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 03:33:24 PM »

westkoast I am stunned you didn't jump all over this, it sets itself up perfectly.  The Bucks trade a 20ppg scorer and all-star in his prime for 2 players they will release almost immediately, and a player who was over the hill 4 years ago, who they intend on buying out.  Smell like the dreaded "C" word, what is Sternfish up to here.

I was going to but I told Lurker/db/Joe Vancil I would try my best to not try to bait RealSpurs since I have em on ignore.  Figured I'd go with a jab at the Gasol/Kwame trade with a Spurs twist above.  The only dreaded word that starts with C I know is 'Colorado' and is usually followed by  'Hotel Room'

Lurker if Mason plays the 2 that gives you guys a smaller back court.  Isn't Mason like 6'4?  Parker I know is 6'1.  Unless of course Jefferson ends up being more Bowen-like I see that as a problem against teams with a bigger back court (or at least 2 guard) like say the Lakers and Rockets.

What about...

Parker
Finley
Jefferson
Gooden
Duncan

Even though Finley is getting older having him start is not a huge deal as you can relieve him pretty quickly if Pop choose so.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 03:38:46 PM by westkoast »