Author Topic: Richard Jefferson to the spurs  (Read 23355 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Richard Jefferson to the spurs
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 03:35:43 PM »

I am curious what you guys might think the starting 5 will look like.  Is Jefferson going to play the 2 or the 3?  I am going to assume hes going to start but I am not sure where.  I am assuming this shoots Finley to the bench unless they have them at the 2 and 3 together with Manu the first person off the bench to relieve either one?

IMO

Parker
Mason
Jefferson
Gooden (but this is biggest ? )
Duncan

Manu backs up the 1-2-3 spots; Udoka/Finley the 3 (some 4 when playing small); still need a vet PF/C

Tim does not like playing center, they will either try to get oberto back or they will try to get someone for the center position.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 04:19:30 PM »
Unbelievable deal for San Antonio.  I'm very high on Jefferson, and think Milwaukee were IDIOTS to get rid of him, and especially not getting back anything more than they did.

It's not quite Gasol-level, but it's close.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 04:32:30 PM »

Tim does not like playing center, they will either try to get oberto back or they will try to get someone for the center position.

NO, Tim does not like being "called" a center.  He plays it regularly when Thomas/Bonner are on the floor or when the Spurs go small.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 05:11:51 PM »

NO, Tim does not like being "called" a center.  He plays it regularly when Thomas/Bonner are on the floor or when the Spurs go small.

can only hope if we do keep Gooden he can keep up, he had sparks of hope last year, but in the end he did not seem to grasp the system at all.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 05:15:25 PM »
Unbelievable deal for San Antonio.  I'm very high on Jefferson, and think Milwaukee were IDIOTS to get rid of him, and especially not getting back anything more than they did.

It's more than close, it's almost identical.  One team ditches a 20 ppg all-star caliber player for expiring contracts.  The only difference being Gasol is a big man and they're harder to come by than 3's in the NBA.  Other than that, basically the same trade.  

Waa Waaa Colusion!!  Colusion!!  Where's my whine with my cheeze ... somebody call the waaaambulance.  Give me a freaking break!   :D :D :D :D

Unlike certain delusional, master-baiters, I'm happy for the Spurs and give a ton of credit to R.C. Buford for putting this deal together.  In this day and age of free agency, salary caps, and luxury tax guys like R.C. and Mitch deserve a ton of props for orchestrating these deals.    

This is getting me excited for next season.  The league is more fun for me when the Spurs and Lakers are having epic battles.    
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 05:35:36 PM by msc »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 07:18:39 PM »

Can I quote you?  Oh wait......
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 09:45:56 PM »

It's more than close, it's almost identical.  One team ditches a 20 ppg all-star caliber player for expiring contracts.  The only difference being Gasol is a big man and they're harder to come by than 3's in the NBA.  Other than that, basically the same trade.  

Waa Waaa Colusion!!  Colusion!!  Where's my whine with my cheeze ... somebody call the waaaambulance.  Give me a freaking break!   :D :D :D :D

Unlike certain delusional, master-baiters, I'm happy for the Spurs and give a ton of credit to R.C. Buford for putting this deal together.  In this day and age of free agency, salary caps, and luxury tax guys like R.C. and Mitch deserve a ton of props for orchestrating these deals.    

This is getting me excited for next season.  The league is more fun for me when the Spurs and Lakers are having epic battles.    

We still need a center IMO.  Too bad Shaq is not in our price range.   ::) 

Although........................Steve Kerr is expected to get the boot soon, any chance he can stick it to the Suns by getting us Shaq for a season?   One chance for number five for Shaq??? 

yeah, I said it.    ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 10:28:13 PM by SPURSX3 »

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 10:01:43 PM »
Correction, Fabs is heading to detroit.  Detroit sent Amir Johnson to the Bucks.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/090623_jefferson.html

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2009, 10:03:41 AM »

Yawn.  Good to see the Brainwashed Bunch is still intact.
 :D :D :D

So now the Spurs can trade Jefferson for Gasol.  That would be equal.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2009, 10:56:51 AM »

Yawn.  Good to see the Brainwashed Bunch is still intact.
 :D :D :D

So now the Spurs can trade Jefferson for Gasol.  That would be equal.

Jefferson for Gasol would NOT be the same as Gasol for Kwame ....

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2009, 11:04:41 AM »
It wouldn't?  That's not what msc n the Laker gals told me.  JoeV is even pretty much on board with them.  What a cruise!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-heisleygasol060308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
For the first time, even Heisley wondered whether his general manager, Chris Wallace, blew it by caving so soon to the Lakers.

"I don't know if I got the most value," Heisley confessed. "Maybe our people should've shopped (Gasol) more and maybe we would've gotten more, done a better deal. Maybe Chris did call every team in the league. I don't think he did, but maybe he should've"

...Most of all, rival executives wonder why they never had a chance to submit a best offer.

Still, it hasn't stopped a rampant anger around the league that this wasn't so much of a trade, as much as it was the word that Bryant himself used: a "donation." (That's the LakerBois idol talkin, SpursXs3!!!!)  Privately, the Lakers were thrilled that they were able to keep negotiations with the Grizzlies quiet because Los Angeles officials were blown away that they could get Gasol for so little.

One source with knowledge of the process said the Bulls had made the most credible offer.  For Gasol and Memphis' Hakim Warrick, the Bulls were willing to part with Andres Nocioni, Tyrus Thomas, Joakim Noah, Thabo Sefolosha, possibly Adrian Griffin and draft picks.

The link has the whole article.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 11:11:01 AM by Reality »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2009, 11:14:08 AM »
It wouldn't?  That's not what msc n the Laker gals told me.  JoeV is even pretty much on board with them.  What a cruise!

For the first time, even Heisley wondered whether his general manager, Chris Wallace, blew it by caving so soon to the Lakers.

"I don't know if I got the most value," Heisley confessed. "Maybe our people should've shopped (Gasol) more and maybe we would've gotten more, done a better deal. Maybe Chris did call every team in the league. I don't think he did, but maybe he should've"

...Most of all, rival executives wonder why they never had a chance to submit a best offer.

Still, it hasn't stopped a rampant anger around the league that this wasn't so much of a trade, as much as it was the word that Bryant himself used: a "donation." (That's the LakerBois idol talkin, SpursXs3!!!!)  Privately, the Lakers were thrilled that they were able to keep negotiations with the Grizzlies quiet because Los Angeles officials were blown away that they could get Gasol for so little.

One source with knowledge of the process said the Bulls had made the most credible offer.  For Gasol and Memphis' Hakim Warrick, the Bulls were willing to part with Andres Nocioni, Tyrus Thomas, Joakim Noah, Thabo Sefolosha, possibly Adrian Griffin and draft picks.

Hey RealSpurs....your response did not answer the point.  But then what's new pussycat!
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2009, 11:21:13 AM »

Hey RealSpurs....your response did not answer the point.  But then what's new pussycat!

He does not get it.  He also does not understand his own statement... :o

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2009, 11:21:23 AM »
The more I think about this trade the more I think how perfect of a fit Richard Jefferson is for this team.  He brings another offensive threat and his defense, while not Bruce Bowen of 03 caliber, is not a huge drop off from where Bowen is now.  The closet Spurs fan in me is anxious for the year to start because I want to see how much better the squad is.  Like msc said, I always enjoy the WC a bit more when the Lakers/Spurs are really battling it out.

Would it be too bold of me to say that Manu doesn't need to come back to the exact same level he was at the last time they won the championship with Jefferson on the squad now?  If Manu is slowed by the injury it might not matter quite as much because Jefferson is more than capable of providing that 3rd scorer on nights Manu can't do it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 11:23:14 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2009, 11:30:50 AM »
The more I think about this trade the more I think how perfect of a fit Richard Jefferson is for this team.  He brings another offensive threat and his defense, while not Bruce Bowen of 03 caliber, is not a huge drop off from where Bowen is now.  The closet Spurs fan in me is anxious for the year to start because I want to see how much better the squad is.  Like msc said, I always enjoy the WC a bit more when the Lakers/Spurs are really battling it out.

Would it be too bold of me to say that Manu doesn't need to come back to the exact same level he was at the last time they won the championship with Jefferson on the squad now?  If Manu is slowed by the injury it might not matter quite as much because Jefferson is more than capable of providing that 3rd scorer on nights Manu can't do it.

In all honesty, I really think Manu is one tough player, I think he will be fine this season.