Author Topic: Richard Jefferson to the spurs  (Read 23357 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Richard Jefferson to the spurs
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2010, 09:03:12 AM »
Last bight the Spurs lost to the Sixers. To the Spurs it probably looked like a trap game, as the Sixers were so pathetic against Miami, that the parse crowd was chanting for the coach to be fired.

The game was very uneven with both sides gaining and then losing the lead. The Spurs are a shorter, weaker inside team this season, however, and while the Sixers play small, they are younger and faster.  The one advantage the Spurs have is that they play smart. They know how to close out quarters and halves and had a lead going into halftime.

I figured the Sixers would suffer their usual third quarter collapse, but last night was different. I'm not sure if it was the Spurs play, or merely the series of bad calls that went against the Sixers, including the ejection of Sam Dalembert, but something got the Sixers angry and suddenly competitive.

Whatever it was, the Sixers need to find a way to repeat the effort, since they played their best basketball of the season. After Sam's ejection. With a short line-up on the floor, they outplayed the Spurs in nearly every aspect of the game. They outscored the Spurs in the third and were only a few points behind.

I figured the Spurs would take over in the fourth and close them out, particularly without Sam available.  Instead the Sixers played like the younger faster team that they are, and outplayed the Spurs for their best win of the season.

My conclusion is that the Spurs aren't who they were, and no longer appear to be elite. Parker looked bad. Jefferson was terrible. Ginobli was great, but he was the only one.  Blair appears to have hit a rookie wall. I like that new kid Hill, who had a couple of good plays. But the Sixers were clearly better last night, something that has been a very rare thing as they haven't been able to beat anybody. 

Parker and Duncan aren't who they once were, and the Spurs haven't brought in enough to replace them.  I don't think it's Pop. I think the roster is getting old and the talent of their top players is declining to quickly.  They are still a decent team, but against a younger faster team they run out of gas. Against a bigger stronger team they can't compete.

Jefferson was a mistake. The need some other help and they didn't get it. I don't think they will be a major factor in this years playoffs. Loosing to the Sixers is consistent with that view.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2010, 10:25:26 PM »
Obvious to all but the extreme PopApologists rt.

Today vs Detroit more patheticness.  Dick Jefferson with 3 rebounds in 30 minutes to go with 1-5 shooting.  Yet DeJuan Blair again chained to the bench.
Spurs outrebounded 49-32. 

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2010, 10:13:20 AM »
Obvious to all but the extreme PopApologists rt.

Today vs Detroit more patheticness.  Dick Jefferson with 3 rebounds in 30 minutes to go with 1-5 shooting.  Yet DeJuan Blair again chained to the bench.
Spurs outrebounded 49-32. 
[/quote

Not sure I would blame Pop for all this. He is a very good coach, and he does pull his players and try others. But if you don't have the players, the team will still loose.  It is very difficult to stay on top, when your elite players are all starting to decline and your draft picks aren't high enough to get quality replacements. It's unreasonable to expect a team to stay on top season after season. Even the Lakers don't make it to the finals every year.  Most NBA fans would love to have their team perform like the Spurs do, try being a Sixers fan!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2010, 11:06:55 AM »
Popovich named President of Basketball Operations for Spurs in 2008.
Thus the responsibility to surround Duncan Parker GNob with good role players was/is squarely Poops responsibility.
2007 summer he made the decision to go with Matt Bonner, Mike Finley and Fabs Oberto at the SF PF C positions and NOT acquire Scola (or any other suitable big).
He trots out a starting lineup of Bonner and Bogans.  Tell me what other contending coach would even sniff such nonsense?

And all those expirings traded for Dick Jefferson.

That on Pop 100%.  The "I don't have any players" is a lameo excuse.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2010, 01:25:12 PM »
Thus the responsibility to surround Duncan Parker GNob with good role players was/is squarely Poops responsibility.
2007 summer he made the decision to go with Matt Bonner, Mike Finley and Fabs Oberto at the SF PF C positions and NOT acquire Scola (or any other suitable big).
He trots out a starting lineup of Bonner and Bogans.  Tell me what other contending coach would even sniff such nonsense?

C'mon, Power Forwards and Centers that can rebound and score are hard to find and are very expensive.  If Pop could have gotten Antwan Jamison instead of RJ, then you could say something, but until Washington lost Gilbert for the season, they weren't going to give Jamison up. Maybe you would have liked Amare in a Spurs uniform? Pop wouldn't tolerate such a poor defensive player and you know it.  The Spurs are a small market team and they have 3 stars already, they had enough room to add RJ, but who else was available that Pop could reasonably get? Pop might have loved getting Odom on his team, but couldn't get into a bidding war for him.  Scola wouldn't do it, who else is out there?  The Spurs need a real player to hep T.D. out, and Pop knows that better than anyone.

"I don't have any players" is why most teams don't win the championship.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2010, 11:14:20 PM »

C'mon, Power Forwards and Centers that can rebound and score are hard to find and are very expensive.  If Pop could have gotten Antwan Jamison instead of RJ, then you could say something, but until Washington lost Gilbert for the season, they weren't going to give Jamison up. Maybe you would have liked Amare in a Spurs uniform? Pop wouldn't tolerate such a poor defensive player and you know it.  The Spurs are a small market team and they have 3 stars already, they had enough room to add RJ, but who else was available that Pop could reasonably get? Pop might have loved getting Odom on his team, but couldn't get into a bidding war for him.  Scola wouldn't do it, who else is out there?  The Spurs need a real player to hep T.D. out, and Pop knows that better than anyone.

"I don't have any players" is why most teams don't win the championship.

Good point(s)...

But any RealFan would know that the Spurs have relied on growing talent rather than paying big bucks for right away talent.  The "I don't have any players" really was "I don't have developed players to fill in the gaps right now" in REALITY.  Tony Parker and Manu Ginobilli were not even home grown stars coming up the ranks here nor where they won in a free agent bidding war in the open market.  They were hand picked, developed, and became great players in this league in a very well ran system.   They've never chased after big name stars on the free market.   That is not how the Spurs operate.  They've never operated like that.  Anyone who has followed the Spurs at all over the past several decades can tell you that is not what they do.  Why would you try to fix a strategy that has won you more titles than 90% of the league.

Nevermind, let's just blame Popavich.  Obviously the owners would spend freely on any and every all star the team needed.  They don't have a business to run responsibly or anything.  I bet Pop-a-wheelie spends all that money they save on not getting Chris Bosh to line up with Blair and Duncan on fancy wine to drink.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 11:16:37 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2010, 11:15:04 PM »
Maybe you would have liked Amare in a Spurs uniform? Pop wouldn't tolerate such a poor defensive player and you know it. 
Compared to the frontline defense of Mike Finley, Dick Jefferson and Bonner?
You've got to be kidding me!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2010, 12:34:01 AM »
Good point(s)...

But any RealFan would know that the Spurs have relied on growing talent rather than paying big bucks for right away talent.  The "I don't have any players" really was "I don't have developed players to fill in the gaps right now" in REALITY.  Tony Parker and Manu Ginobilli were not even home grown stars coming up the ranks here nor where they won in a free agent bidding war in the open market.  They were hand picked, developed, and became great players in this league in a very well ran system.   They've never chased after big name stars on the free market.   That is not how the Spurs operate.  They've never operated like that.  Anyone who has followed the Spurs at all over the past several decades can tell you that is not what they do.  Why would you try to fix a strategy that has won you more titles than 90% of the league.

Nevermind, let's just blame Popavich.  Obviously the owners would spend freely on any and every all star the team needed.  They don't have a business to run responsibly or anything.  I bet Pop-a-wheelie spends all that money they save on not getting Chris Bosh to line up with Blair and Duncan on fancy wine to drink.
Dick Jefferson 14 mil a year.  So much for your schpeel.
The Spurs won one playoff game last year.  This year they might not even make the playoffs.
Those who fail to adapt fade.  Pao Gasol for Matt Bonner ain't walking thru that door.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2011, 01:06:46 PM »
Unbelievable deal for San Antonio.  I'm very high on Jefferson, and think Milwaukee were IDIOTS to get rid of him, and especially not getting back anything more than they did.

It's not quite Gasol-level, but it's close.
Joe, 'sause, Lurker you gonna recap Jeffersons two playoff years with the Spurs?
All ears.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2011, 01:13:46 PM »
The more I think about this trade the more I think how perfect of a fit Richard Jefferson is for this team.  He brings another offensive threat and his defense, while not Bruce Bowen of 03 caliber, is not a huge drop off from where Bowen is now.  The closet Spurs fan in me is anxious for the year to start because I want to see how much better the squad is.  Like msc said, I always enjoy the WC a bit more when the Lakers/Spurs are really battling it out.

Would it be too bold of me to say that Manu doesn't need to come back to the exact same level he was at the last time they won the championship with Jefferson on the squad now?  If Manu is slowed by the injury it might not matter quite as much because Jefferson is more than capable of providing that 3rd scorer on nights Manu can't do it.
;D ;D

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2012, 04:26:40 PM »
Unbelievable deal for San Antonio.  I'm very high on Jefferson, and think Milwaukee were IDIOTS to get rid of him, and especially not getting back anything more than they did.

It's not quite Gasol-level, but it's close.
Let the recapping of Jeffersons playoff years in San Antonio begin.....
Lurker where are you?