Author Topic: OT: Team USA  (Read 21848 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: OT: Team USA
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2008, 11:27:18 AM »
There's no need to rush into moving any core players right now.  We stand to lose nothing by entering the season as currently constructed... if any glaring weaknesses surface then we can explore mid-season trade opportunities.  Assuming Iguodala re-signs, I'm fine with our lineup. 

I agree 100%.  Just saying Ed will have to make a decision at the deadline.

If the team looks like a contender at the deadline they might have to risk losing Miller.  More likely the team is good ut not elite, and they will have to go forward based on whether or Miller is willing to sign a reasonable extension.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2008, 11:55:15 AM »
Hopefully Miller will throw us a bone during the season in regards to his intentions after this season.  The guy is impossible to get a read on.  If we are in fact elite, Miller might consider staying for an opportunity to win a chip.... on the other hand, another contender could steal him away.... its a risk, so I could see Ed exploring deals at the deadline.

jemagee

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2008, 12:03:17 PM »
Millers already thrown bones regarding his intentions, he's made it pretty clear, a few times, that he prefers the west coast, to me that's a bone regarding his intentions, and his lack of committment long term when asked is also a bone by no answer...he's looking to get back on the west coast, and the sixers can accomadate that now and get something for it or watch him walk next off season and hope louis williams can continue exponential growth in his ability to play nba basektball and run an offense...i'm hoping stefanski is not going to think like that

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2008, 01:08:28 PM »
Before this summer Miller said he is "like Jem, I am a West Coast guy" or something to that effect.  He also said he was waiting to see what the Sixers would do to upgrade the team. 

The little he has said since the Brand signing has been positive.  I'm not sure he has closed the book on the idea of staying with the Sixers.  At very least he seems excited about the prospects for this season.  Whether he wants to remain a Sixer, and if Ed wants him to stay is still in the air.  Also,  its unclear what the market value would be for a 33 year old durable PG.  I would think he will get less than his current 10M. but I don't know how much less.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2008, 03:08:21 PM »
We will have a good team which should appeal to Miller and next summer there may be no place for him to go on the west coast with Davis in LAC, the Lakers' system requiring a good shooting PG and GS trying Marcus Williams and possibly Ellis at the point.  The Blazers don't seem like an option for him and Phoenix already has a highly paid old guy at PG who is a pretty good passer himself as does Dallas.  Houston, Denver and possibly GS would seem like the likeliest landing spots for Miller, and all should be over the cap next summer barring some major trades.

With all of that said, I still don't expect him to be here next year.  He will probably be willing to stay, but only at a premiuim price which I don't want to pay.  An in season trade, or more likely an off-season S&T sending him out west is how I see this coming down.  As far as who replaces him I have no idea.

jemagee

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2008, 09:26:27 PM »
Kidd sat out the entire second half of today's game?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2008, 08:41:39 AM »
Kidd sat out the entire second half of today's game?

The real question is what took so long for Coach K to realize that Kidd is the third best PG on the team.  US is seeing a ton of zone D and Kidd's crappy shooting and lack of quickness make him pretty much useless.  The Mavericks are one of my favorite teams to take a Miami Heat like dump this year, not as severe as Miami last year, but I think they will be a lottery team out west.

jemagee

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2008, 09:00:48 AM »
I'm sure he was kidding but Kobe nailed it

"He's old"

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2008, 07:03:32 PM »
FYI... Team USA takes on Bogut and Australia tomorrow morning at 8am on ESPN2.  I believe Australia beat Germany last week... I remember reading something about Dirk crying after the loss. 

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2008, 09:16:37 PM »
Miller would be a great fit in LA, probably the best point to pair with Kobe.  He's doing pretty good in Phila. as a point guard, and should have an even better year this season.

But Miller is already a bit old himself and not the quickest player by any stretch. His value is in his ability to make his own shot and to distribute the ball, and he's one of the best in the league at it.

The important thing for the Sixers is to be prepared to improve at this position next.  If Lou demonstrates the ability to run the team, he might be an upgrade, being much quicker than Miller.  Andre would be fine as a backup to Williams, but if Lou can't run the team as well, we'll have to try to trade Miller for a younger point with more upside potential.

Assuming we get Iggy signed we have a 3-5 year window to get to the finals and win it all, maybe even longer considering how young the team is.  But Miller is 32, and he's probably not going to be as effective in another 2 years anyway. The only problem is, he's done a great job for the Sixers and it won't be easy to replace his production. Ed is probably figuring on ways to acquire another point guard out of all the disappointed free agents in the NBA.

Hopefully Lou will grow into the position, which will buy us a little more time to deal with Andre, but at 32 it's his age that's the issue.  He held up pretty well last year, playing a lot of minutes.  Since he doesn't rely on quickness, but smarts, it is possible he can continue to be effective for a long time to come.

Offline sixerscan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2008, 11:16:15 PM »
Miller would be a great fit in LA, probably the best point to pair with Kobe.

Disagree. With as much as Kobe handles the ball Miller's effectiveness would be limited. Much like MJ, Kobe's perfect backcourt mate is someone that doesn't try to do too much with the ball and can catch and shoot from 3 off of Kobe's drives. Fisher is a great fit as long as he keeps hitting them from long range.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2008, 07:24:28 AM »
I'm watching the US vs. Australia right now and I have to say.... I think this team can be beat. What I'm seeing out of this team in this game is our players falling into the same trap that they fell into 4 years ago. They seem to be worried a lot more about the "oooooohhhs" and "aaaaahhhhhs" of the crowd rather than playing actual basketball. On any given possession the ball might get passed twice before someone tries to go 1 on 3 which results in WAY too many turnovers.

The team better get it's head on straight.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2008, 07:28:34 AM »
They look like garbage after one.... letting a 19 year old guard drive 94 feet uncontested on more than one occassion is unacceptable. 

Offline wow444

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - sportsrockfun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2008, 09:00:03 AM »
I'm watching the US vs. Australia right now and I have to say.... I think this team can be beat. What I'm seeing out of this team in this game is our players falling into the same trap that they fell into 4 years ago. They seem to be worried a lot more about the "oooooohhhs" and "aaaaahhhhhs" of the crowd rather than playing actual basketball. On any given possession the ball might get passed twice before someone tries to go 1 on 3 which results in WAY too many turnovers.

The team better get it's head on straight.

It has to be tough to get motivated for the last tune up game.  They are looking to start the real thing

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2008, 09:00:18 AM »
Extremely ugly win.