Author Topic: OT: Team USA  (Read 21872 times)

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
OT: Team USA
« on: July 27, 2008, 01:13:52 PM »
With the Beijing games approaching and basketball trials in effect, I wanted to get a feel for where everyone stands on this years U.S. roster.

Without going into the growth of Lebron, Wade, Melo, and Boozer since the Athens games along with the addition of Kobe, I have to turn the focal point to our PG depth with Paul, Williams, and Kidd (although I would have preferred Billups over Kidd).  During our last Olympic run, international teams succeeded at controlling the tempo as most teams are stacked up with solid outside shooters who know how to roam, space, and play off of each other.  Personally, I see this pass first element that we have added to this year's roster to be the x-factor and catalyst for the necessary change that we needed to make to succeed in international play.  I have confidence in our guards to recognize and find the most opportune mismatches on each possession, and as a result, I do believe our shooting woes will remain in the past and we can see the tempo being played at our pace for the better part of the 40 minutes.  There's a new found level of comfort when we have the ball that wasn't there 4 years ago. 

Does anyone see any glaring weaknesses?  Any obvious advantages?  Biggest threats to team USA? 

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: OT: Team USA
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 01:36:01 PM »
I find myself pretty much disinterested in the Olympics these days as a whole.  Our B-ball team should do well, but once they get into medal contention it is one game and done, at least as far as the gold medal goes, so anything can happen.  I am a little concerned that the plan to add more role playing guys to the roster after the last Olympics never seemed to materialize.  Guys like Battier were added to the overall USA BAsketball program roster, but seem to be absent from the Olympic team itself.

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 01:43:24 PM »
NIKE should sell a lot of shoes.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 01:49:40 PM »
Not enough size.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 04:14:49 PM »
I agree that we could use another big man... maybe even two. 

I'm not sure why KG isn't on the team.  Was he not invited?  or did he turn down an invite?  On that note, why isn't Duncan on the team?  I don't believe he ever got an invite.... correct me if I'm wrong. 

I know Amare was supposed on the roster prior, but I guess didn't make the final roster.  Does anyone know what exactly happened with that? 

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 04:56:09 PM »
I agree that we could use another big man... maybe even two. 

I'm not sure why KG isn't on the team.  Was he not invited?  or did he turn down an invite?  On that note, why isn't Duncan on the team?  I don't believe he ever got an invite.... correct me if I'm wrong. 

I know Amare was supposed on the roster prior, but I guess didn't make the final roster.  Does anyone know what exactly happened with that? 

He did not want to put additional strain on his knees.  I think he knows the microfracture repair is a potential ticking time bomb that he needs to keep together at least through FA in 2010.  I would have liked Ty Chandler to make the final cut.  IIRC he is one of the alternates in case of injury, but I can't recall if he is going to Beijing with the team or not.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 08:26:33 PM »
Michael Redd looked pretty damn good Friday night.  6/8 from 3.

Just sayin...

;)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 08:32:39 PM »
Michael Redd looked pretty damn good Friday night.  6/8 from 3.

Just sayin...

;)

Yeah... you know where else he looks great??? On the Sixers' roster! I've been performing many scientific experiments lately that have involved me spending my late night's playing NBA 2K8 with the new Sixers' squad minus Iguodala and Evans but with the addition of Michael Redd. The inside-out combo of Brand/Redd is DYN-O-MITE!

Maybe we don't deal for Redd this off-season but Ed will eventually recognize that this team needs someone who can consistently make outside jumpers and Redd will be that target at a later date.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 08:39:09 PM »
TGP:

Hard to believe that Iggy would approve of a S&T to the Bucks, but that deal sure sounds interesting...just not sure if I could do that deal unless/until our PG position is nailed down beyond this season.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 09:17:12 PM »
Well, Iguodala is from Chicago so Milwaukee would be a helluva lot closer to his home and money talks so if the Bucks are willing to give him the loot, I'm sure he'll go.

As for the PG position, I wouldn't allow that to impact this sort of deal. Miller is on the books through this season and if he chooses to NOT re-sign, the Sixers will have some cap space to acquire a PG via free agency or trade. Plus, you always have Lou Will and a deep PG Draft to fall back on.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 09:40:39 PM »
TGP:

It's more a question of fit - Iggy or Redd at the 2.

For Redd, I want a defense first PG....somebody who is unselfish and who gets after it defensively (think ESnow or even Rondo)...for Iggy, I want a guy at the point who can hit the 3 (like Hinrich).  Not to say that I would be unhappy with, say, a Hinrich/Redd backcourt, though...

Or...if Iggy is here...next summer...

AI for the MLE.

Sorry...I just can't help myself.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 10:05:34 PM »
Miller for AI in a S&T next summer is the most likely of several unlikely scenarios involving AI's potential return.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 10:26:17 PM »
I don't have any problems at all with a Miller/Redd backcourt. Miller does a good enough job defensively and does a great job of running the team. If the fear is that Miller leaves for the West Coast and that you want an Eric Snow-esque PG to pair with him, well I think that's a small fear. I think it's significantly harder to obtain one of the best outside shooters in the league than it is to acquire a role playing PG.

Next summer really will be the summer of the veteran PG. Besides Miller... Jason Kidd, Mike Bibby, Allen Iverson, Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis, and "the" Eric Snow will all hit the FA market. At one point, these guys were the cream of the crop, now... well they all have their flaws and lots of them.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 10:35:31 PM »
Next summer really will be the summer of the veteran PG. Besides Miller... Jason Kidd, Mike Bibby, Allen Iverson, Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis, and "the" Eric Snow will all hit the FA market. At one point, these guys were the cream of the crop, now... well they all have their flaws and lots of them.

Plus it is supposed to be a PG heavy draft.  It will be interesting to see what, if any, interest some of these guys generate.  It is also the summer before LeBron/Wade et al so a lot of teams will avoid spending bog on multi-year deals.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 10:49:41 PM »
If Iguodala wants to be "the man" then the Bucks are an opportunity for him to try and be a franchise player next to RJ.  Of course he would quickly learn that RJ is a better scorer and would have to take a lesser role anyway...