Author Topic: Brand?  (Read 80650 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: Brand?
« Reply #270 on: July 08, 2008, 09:22:52 PM »
Baron Davis has to be wondering, WTF happened to me????

I would LOVE to see davis change his mind and go looking for money back from the warriors :)

Maybe he will want GS to sign and trade him to the Sixers for Miller, Jason Smith and WG.

And yes, that was sarcasm.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 08, 2008, 09:25:28 PM »
Man, the sixer colored glasses are even more intense than when people flipped out over chris webber

I wasn't posting back then, but I hated that trade as soon as I heard it as anyone who had seen Webber play recently should have.  Brand's injury tempers my enthusiasm some, but Webber was also a dog in general so he had more than the injury going against him.

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #272 on: July 08, 2008, 09:28:35 PM »
Man, the sixer colored glasses are even more intense than when people flipped out over chris webber

I wasn't posting back then, but I hated that trade as soon as I heard it as anyone who had seen Webber play recently should have. 

Actually, Brand's numbers for the months leading up to the trade were great. I thought it was a great trade initially, but his knee was worse than I imagined.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #273 on: July 08, 2008, 09:42:10 PM »
I assume by "Brand" you mean "Webber" right? His numbers were good going into that trade and he won Western Conference Player of the Month in January. Either way, it's water under the bridge and Brand is a far superior player at this point in his career than Webber was although C-Webb knew how to throw a pass.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #274 on: July 08, 2008, 10:11:10 PM »
From a personnel standpoint, I do believe that they are only one piece away - that classic scoring SG...and like many on this forum, I'm not sure that Iggy is the guy.  I could potentially see LouW developing into an important piece here...but I'm not sure if he is going to top out at Daniel Gibson or early Sam Cassell (HOU).  And even if we had the cap room to sign a pure shooter to add to the roster, as long as Iggy and Lou are here, any Kapono/Korver-type shooter that we add wont get the minutes to put us over the top.

It's either Iguodala...or somebody else.

Nice job getting Brand, Eddie...now figure out what to do with Iggy.  Have fun...and don't fuck it up.

It really is pretty amazing how this acquisition transforms this team...and I hate to put a damper on things...but one question (I am going to front-run some posts once the season starts):

Is Mo Cheeks a CHIP-quality HC?

???

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #275 on: July 08, 2008, 10:17:09 PM »
Is Mo Cheeks a CHIP-quality HC?

???

I'm going to say yes. He got a lot out of this team this year and the year before that which is encouraging but what really makes me say yes is that Doc Rivers won a title. It's amazing how coaches can suddenly go from dunces to "great" when they have 3 potential hall of famers on their roster, isn't it?

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #276 on: July 08, 2008, 10:22:55 PM »
Also... how great is this for Speights??? The man will now be able to practice against and with the player he has often been compared to. We could potentially be set at PF for the next 15 years.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 08, 2008, 10:23:14 PM »
I just put on my "Brand" new Sixer happy shoes... *burp*

Next year will be great, but the Sixers won't be ready to contend.  We need to let the Celtics get older and the Pistons torn apart.  I want to resign our RFA's and see what happens next year.  We need to give Lou, Thad and Speights lots of PT next year to get us ready for a run in 2 years.

After next year or at the deadline) we can decide what final moves are needed to put the team over the top for a possible title run in '09-'10.  Maybe it will only take another year of experience, or maybe it will require a move of Miller or Iguodala for a shooter in Summer '09.  Either way, in two years we will be ready to say those two magic words....

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 08, 2008, 10:24:56 PM »
A somewhat overlooked part of Stein's story:

A move to the East would also come with on- and off-court benefits for Brand, sending him to a conference with far fewer title contenders and moving him closer to his East Coast-based family with Brand and his wife expecting their first child this fall.

Thank god for Mrs. Brand's timely ovulation.

And yeah, that was the weirdest thing I have ever written.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 10:52:03 PM by Skates »

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #279 on: July 08, 2008, 10:25:46 PM »
When do you think this becomes official? 12:01 or tomorrow morning at some point? Press Conference tomorrow?

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #280 on: July 08, 2008, 10:27:18 PM »

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 08, 2008, 11:57:42 PM »
One final thought before going to bed, anyone wonder whether the league was more than a little interested in the overly co-incidental Elton Brand opt-out/Baron Davis quick verbal agreement with the Clips?  Not to play conspiracy theorist, but could the hand of god (aka David Stern), or at least fear of it, have played a part in the Clips' seemingly pathetic attempts to keep Brand and Brand's sudden interest in coming east?  Hmmmm.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 09, 2008, 12:05:19 AM »
could the hand of god (aka David Stern), or at least fear of it, have played a part in the Clips' seemingly pathetic attempts to keep Brand and Brand's sudden interest in coming east?  Hmmmm.

I'm not asking any questions as long at the end result is a breakthrough move by the Sixers.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #283 on: July 09, 2008, 12:35:42 AM »
One final thought before going to bed, anyone wonder whether the league was more than a little interested in the overly co-incidental Elton Brand opt-out/Baron Davis quick verbal agreement with the Clips?  Not to play conspiracy theorist, but could the hand of god (aka David Stern), or at least fear of it, have played a part in the Clips' seemingly pathetic attempts to keep Brand and Brand's sudden interest in coming east?  Hmmmm.

Possible but unlikely unless someone was an idiot and put it in writing like they did in Minnesota with Joe Smith.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #284 on: July 09, 2008, 06:33:28 AM »
alright.  Woke up, and still nothing official.  I would like something on the dotted line just to feel secure.