Author Topic: Brand?  (Read 80560 times)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Brand?
« Reply #285 on: July 09, 2008, 07:39:27 AM »
Has the Carney trade gone through officially yet? Perhaps that is the holdup? SF did say that the press conference will be held today. Hopefully it'll be sometime after 12.... I have a meeting from 9-until around then and I'd hate to miss is.

Offline Howardmgm3

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 09, 2008, 08:10:48 AM »
You hate to miss the press conference???
Boy, and I thought that I was bad.... ;)

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #287 on: July 09, 2008, 08:11:19 AM »
I may leave work early to catch it....hahaha

jemagee

« Reply #288 on: July 09, 2008, 08:57:39 AM »
One final thought before going to bed, anyone wonder whether the league was more than a little interested in the overly co-incidental Elton Brand opt-out/Baron Davis quick verbal agreement with the Clips?  Not to play conspiracy theorist, but could the hand of god (aka David Stern), or at least fear of it, have played a part in the Clips' seemingly pathetic attempts to keep Brand and Brand's sudden interest in coming east?  Hmmmm.

No, i don't cause proving it would be almost imporssible according to almost all reports (unless like the t'wolves they are stupid enough to write it down) and the NBA has bigger problems, you know like dress codes and embarassing themselves in seattle and appointing the general

jemagee

« Reply #289 on: July 09, 2008, 09:03:45 AM »
According to todays reports the hold up in the signing is that the moratorium on player movement means that the NBA offices must approve the t'wolves trades first before the deal can be officially signed.  Even though the 'quiet period' ended at 12:01 am this morning (East coast time) the trade can't be completed until the nba offices open this morning

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 09, 2008, 09:37:50 AM »
It is hysterical that yesterday everyone was saying David Falk was playing the Sixers.  Today just about every article I have seen from Clipper-land accuses Falk of playing and screwing the Clips (which actually makes more sense).  They are also now claiming that Brand didn't opt-out because of Baron Davis, but because of soem conversations with Philly before FA began, even though the Brand-Davis connection was far more obvious and GS actually had a bigger deal to offer.  I think Brand essentially looked at all of the offers as being plenty of money, although the Clips may have moved to slowly for his liking, and basically said where do I have the best chance to be a winner for the next 5 years.  Moving to the Eastern Conference with a loaded young team that had a huge hole at PF just made sense.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #291 on: July 09, 2008, 10:25:29 AM »
I read a report yesterday that one of the reasons Falk screwed the Clips (if you want to call it that) was due to the Clippers not drafting Mike Bibby back in the day. How ridiculous is this? I swear columnists write some things just to make sure they have enough words to meet their editor's demands.

I think Brand choose Philly and not Falk and not Stern.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 09, 2008, 10:28:50 AM »
...and basically said where do I have the best chance to be a winner for the next 5 years.  Moving to the Eastern Conference with a loaded young team that had a huge hole at PF just made sense.

Amazing how this one move has not only changed the Sixers foreseeable outlook, but even changes perception of the talent that was already on the team.

A week ago the Sixers had promising young talent and sever holes, including a potential huge one as soon as Miller departs.  The Sixers made a nice run in the second half of each of the last 2 years and had cleaned up there cap issues, but I'm surprised they were really seen as a team just one great player away- especially since there are many teams full of young promising talent (Port, Atl, New Or, even Char.)

I thought that people here were so high on our young players like Lou and Thad because of our obvious bias (despite strangely being somewhat down on our best young player, Iguodala.)

I guess the Brand signing shows that the admiration for the Sixers promising young core extends well beyond its loyal fanbase.

jemagee

« Reply #293 on: July 09, 2008, 10:43:12 AM »
I read a report yesterday that one of the reasons Falk screwed the Clips (if you want to call it that) was due to the Clippers not drafting Mike Bibby back in the day. How ridiculous is this? I swear columnists write some things just to make sure they have enough words to meet their editor's demands.

I think Brand choose Philly and not Falk and not Stern.

It's not out of the realm of possibility, number 1 pick makes a lot of money and has some great cachet, and if you get the #1 pick for your client...well that's good too.

BTW - the draft in question, falk wanted the clippers to select bibby, the clippers wanted to select Olowakandi.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #294 on: July 09, 2008, 01:59:43 PM »
By the way, with the addition of Brand... the East has gone from being No Man's Land for PFs just 12 months ago to being a place with a LOT of big names.

PHI- Elton Brand
BOS- Kevin Garnett
TOR- Chris Bosh/Jermaine O'Neal
NYK- Zach Randolph (not someone we like but still puts up big numbers)
NJN- Yi Jianlian

jemagee

« Reply #295 on: July 09, 2008, 02:08:37 PM »
Well if we are talking east, there are some 'big names' who should come before randolph and jianlian :)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #296 on: July 09, 2008, 02:19:01 PM »
Ahhh... I should have said Atlantic... my bad.

Not that the Nets are competing for anything this year, but I think Yi is going to be very sore this season from having to guard Brand, Garnett, Bosh, and Randolph for 16 of the 82 games this season.

jemagee

« Reply #297 on: July 09, 2008, 02:26:08 PM »
I think Yi is going to be very sore, and injury prone, cause much like yao he doesn't get any time t orest cause the chinese government owns him

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #298 on: July 09, 2008, 02:28:28 PM »
Imagine if the Chinese basketyball team doesn't play well...he'll disappear from the face of the Earth

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #299 on: July 09, 2008, 02:41:27 PM »
I'm fairly certain the Sixers hate me. I had a meeting this morning from 9-12 and have been home the rest of the day. Now I have to head off to another meeting at 4 and won't be back until 7. What the hell man? Press Conferences should be held in the afternoon so that the press can get home to wives and children for dinner.

Oh well, this is why the wife made us get a DVR... well that and for "My Boys".