Author Topic: Are the Nets tanking?  (Read 22383 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Are the Nets tanking?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 10:04:26 PM »
I don't think being in New York or LA adds any sort of marketing potential to Lebron James, or anyone else, it's a global world, a 24/7 news world, a flat earth, Lebron James doesn't become 'more' marektable in New York in my estimation, that's old world old tech thinking that no longer applies in my estimation.

That would make your "estimation" completely WRONG!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 12:16:33 PM »
I think national and international marketing deals are going to pay multiples more than the local new york deal he's gong to get

Probably true.  But the amount in NY would be substantially more.

I have no doubt he could make up $20 million in local marketing in NY.  No doubt.  It's not a comparison local vs national, it's a comparison (local ny - local cleveland) - (Cleveland Contract - Nets Contract).

That is very true.  No one is talking about it from that angle though.  The sports writers are saying 'marketing deals' but he would get them anyways.  Just like Michael Jordan got national campaigns in Chicago.

This team just flat out stinks and there is little a coaching change is going to do.  Not saying Lawrence Frank didn't deserve to be fired, he def did.  One of the few times I actually agree.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 01:31:42 PM »
No, New Jersey isn't tanking.  They're just that bad.  They've got no outside game.  They've got no inside game.  They're bad defenders.  They're weak rebounders.  You tell me - with all of that, how are they SUPPOSED to win games?  Voodoo?
And yet previous NBA teams have been bad, no inside game, bad defenders, weak rebounders and yet the Nets are the 1st in NBA history to start 0-18.
And counting.....

The Lebron plan is working.  ;)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 01:37:53 PM »
No, New Jersey isn't tanking.  They're just that bad.  They've got no outside game.  They've got no inside game.  They're bad defenders.  They're weak rebounders.  You tell me - with all of that, how are they SUPPOSED to win games?  Voodoo?
And yet previous NBA teams have been bad, no inside game, bad defenders, weak rebounders and yet the Nets are the 1st in NBA history to start 0-18.
And counting.....

The Lebron plan is working.  ;)

Wow, you really think this is a way to entice Lebron James don't you?  Just when I think you can't get any more ridiculous with your comments on anything basketball related......

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 01:41:36 PM »
westkoast
Wow, you really think this is a way to entice Lebron James don't you?  Just when I think you can't get any more ridiculous with your comments on anything basketball related......
Lot of credibility coming from you.
If the Nets do start next year with LeBron and a top 3 pick, you're all kidding yourselves if you don't think they can be competing within 2-3 years.  LeBron turned around the cleveland with less.  Instant contender?  Maybe not.  But Brook Lopez and Devin Harris look a lot more competent as #2 and 3 options than they do trying to carry the load.  Lopez in particular would work well with LeBron (Harris I have my questions about).

Marketing potential is IMO more valuable than the extra % and years Cleveland can offer.  People want to be like Mike off the court as well.

The key, as always, is not getting the top 3 pick, but making the right selection with the top 3 pick.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 01:51:51 PM »
I don't make ridiculous off the wall statements around here like you do.  So I have plenty of credibility in that area.  I don't post BS trades for Manu or make delusional comments about plugging in players in any system because 5 years ago they had a few good playoff games.  You are the guy who thinks Stephen Jackson is a player you want on your squad and Fabs was one of the greatest Euro players of all time.

Lebron wants to win a championship.  Going to a team that is 0-18 is not enticing.  Why would he leave Cleveland, who is a contender in the East already, to a team that *MIGHT* be later. What you quoted from DB is filled with so many 'what if's I don't see why you think quoting him actually proves it's what New Jersey is doing.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 01:53:23 PM by westkoast »

jemagee

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 03:07:11 PM »
Lebron wants to win a championship.  Going to a team that is 0-18 is not enticing.  Why would he leave Cleveland, who is a contender in the East already, to a team that *MIGHT* be later. What you quoted from DB is filled with so many 'what if's I don't see why you think quoting him actually proves it's what New Jersey is doing.

I think in terms of 'contenders' the cavs are at best 3rd this year (maybe even fourth if you buy into the hawks) Big Z and Fat Shaq are old and pretty much done...The nets may be 0-18 but they're also very injured and about to get a huge influx of cash and an owner of the cuban mold...spend and win, the fans will come, and a possible beautiful new arena in Brooklyn.  They have one of the better young point guards in the game, courtney lee looks like something, they have some solid young big men though no stand out guys...of course they fired a coach I don't think deserved to be fired, but I think the Nets have a better shot at getting lebron than the knicks if you look at their rosters.

I don't think he should stay in cleveland if he wants to win

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 04:11:10 PM »

I think in terms of 'contenders' the cavs are at best 3rd this year (maybe even fourth if you buy into the hawks) Big Z and Fat Shaq are old and pretty much done...The nets may be 0-18 but they're also very injured and about to get a huge influx of cash and an owner of the cuban mold...spend and win, the fans will come, and a possible beautiful new arena in Brooklyn.  They have one of the better young point guards in the game, courtney lee looks like something, they have some solid young big men though no stand out guys...of course they fired a coach I don't think deserved to be fired, but I think the Nets have a better shot at getting lebron than the knicks if you look at their rosters.

I don't think he should stay in cleveland if he wants to win

Yes it is possible that Lebron could go there and they would contend if all the following happen:

- Devin Harris stays, I believe his contract will be up in the next 2 years.

- The Nets do indeed get one of the first 3 picks

- The Nets use that top pick to actually draft a good player who has the potential to make a big impact within the first few years

- The Nets stay healthy as a whole so they can develop together

- They actually find a coach who will be able to coach this squad

To me that seems like the entire solar system would need to align for them to go from horrible bottom feeder to top contender in 2-3 years.  I don't think he should go to the Nets if he wants to win.

jemagee

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2009, 04:13:57 PM »
And he shouldn't go to the knicks if he wants to win, they have less talent and future than the nets in my opinion (this years first round pick belongs to the jazz, unfettered for instance), and I don't think the cavs have the assets to max out lebron and get any better...

So the question becomes - who can AFFORD lebron that would make it better for him to win a title thain in cleveland?

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2009, 05:09:09 PM »
The one thing the Knicks have going for them is a coach who's preferred style of play might appeal to Lebron. 
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2009, 05:10:15 PM »
And he shouldn't go to the knicks if he wants to win, they have less talent and future than the nets in my opinion (this years first round pick belongs to the jazz, unfettered for instance), and I don't think the cavs have the assets to max out lebron and get any better...

So the question becomes - who can AFFORD lebron that would make it better for him to win a title thain in cleveland?

If Lebron is ONLY interested in winning a title then IMO he should go to the Spurs.  The Spurs have been non-factors over the last few years after being a perenial contedor.  The future looks bleak now that TD is on the decline.  Lebron could turn it all around in one year and get just as much, if not more, credit for their title as any player on the Spurs roster.  The Celtics and Lakers are too loaded for people to think that Lebron is the difference maker.  The other options, like the Magic and Nuggets, already have a marquee star and Lebron would be looked at as a "partner" vs a "leader".  IMO the Spurs are a team full of humble players who would defer to Lebron as the "leader" and give him all the glory.  The only other intriguing paring would be Utah.  The other team I was thinking about was Portland but Roys ego might be too big now.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 05:11:15 PM »
I think Lebron wants to win but I think lebron wants to be the REASON a team wins as well, Spurs have the track record and history of winning that while lebron obviously helps he's not going to get all the credit.

The one thing the Knicks have going for them is a coach who's preferred style of play might appeal to Lebron.

Assuming he never wants to make the finals - sure

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2009, 05:51:31 PM »

I'll go with Miami as I know they are in the running or were at least.

Lebron in SA?  Now that would be very interesting.

jemagee

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2009, 05:52:19 PM »
Would Miami be better off getting a bosh or a stat over a lebron?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2009, 07:43:08 AM »
Would Miami be better off getting a bosh or a stat over a lebron?

Not if Jermaine is truly healthy.  And Beasley continues to develop.  By most performance measures the Heat's 3 best players after Wade are O'Neal, Beasley and Haslem.

Miami really needs a sharpsooter like Ray Allen.  They have the inside game and the star who can break down defenses off the dribble.  They don't have any reliable perimeter shooters.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues