Author Topic: Are the Nets tanking?  (Read 22381 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Are the Nets tanking?
« on: November 28, 2009, 09:50:48 AM »
I mean I've seen teams have injuries/play poorly in stretches but this is a joke.  Last nights game vs Sacto Kings seemed a tank job all the way.
Coach Lawrence Frank, team president Rod Thorn and general manager Kiki Vandeweghe are all in the final year of their contracts.

All part of a long thought out plan IMO to bag Lebron James, move to Brooklyn and move up in the lotto as new rich Russian owner takes over.

Brooklyn Nets (or new name) with Lebron, Bosh and/or Wade, high draft pick.  Yep, that would create mega buzz.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Are the Nets tanking?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 12:55:37 PM »
You didn't think this one all the way through before hitting post huh?

Tying the worst start in the history of the league is somehow suppose to entice a guy who has made it clear he wants to win a championship?

While the GM and President made the moves to put these guys on the floor its mainly the coach and the players themselves who are to blame for what is going on right now.  They might as well move the entire team into the NBDL.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 02:45:15 PM »
You didn't think this one all the way through before hitting post huh?

Tying the worst start in the history of the league is somehow suppose to entice a guy who has made it clear he wants to win a championship?
I thought it thru, i don't think you did.  Repeat:
1.  New rich Russian owner who probably will go way over the cap ala Cuban (assuming he gets approval which should be a slam dunk)
2.  Moving to Brooklyn new arena.  The NYC stage for Lebron.
3.  Already buddys with part owner Jazzy Z.
4.  Way under cap, money to offer
5.  Make Bosh and/or Wade or other top free agent part of the deal
6.  Tank season to improve odds of higher draft pic.

I think Lebron likes all of those positives. 

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 07:40:23 PM »
Why would LeBron want to join a team with nobody on it? The Nets are really bad, and they only have one or maybe two NBA quality players on that team in LKopez and Chris Douglas Roberts. Devin Harris and Raffer Alston are role players.  LeBron would be better off staying in Cleveland.

BTW, I really have contempt for NY's legal system, ruling that the homeowners in the way of the project can be forced to sell. There is no private property anymore when a sale can be forced. The government should not be taking sides or using eminent domain in these circumstances. This is a serious misuse of authority.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 08:39:16 PM »
Why would LeBron want to join a team with nobody on it?
Yes if Lebron goes to the Nets their roster must remain exactly as it is today.  ::)

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 09:59:05 AM »
Got to have something with which to acquire those additions, Reality.  Cap space will be eaten up by signing LeBron and another free agent.  Not enough to fill out the role players needed to be competitive.

The roster doesn't have to stay the same.  Meaningless swaps can be made.  That's not the same thing as improving it.  And the team will then need time to gell.

No, New Jersey isn't tanking.  They're just that bad.  They've got no outside game.  They've got no inside game.  They're bad defenders.  They're weak rebounders.  You tell me - with all of that, how are they SUPPOSED to win games?  Voodoo?
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 10:50:04 AM »
Brook Lopez a great role player.  7'0" 18/9 and seems to only be getting better.
Devin Harris?  I thought you were high on him.
Chris Douglas Roberts looking good for a 2nd year guy and he's a team option if you don't want him as Lebrons backup.

The following drop off the Nets 2010/11 salary:
Bobby Simmons 10 million
Tony Battie 6
Rafer Alston 5
Trenton Hassel 4
The Nets are only commited to about 19 million!

Lots of potential FAs that are not top dollar.
Lewie Scola
Manu GNob

Also you assume rich Russian dude must stay under the cap.  I don't.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 11:27:55 AM »
You have to be on crack to think you can assemble a championship team out of 9 or 10 free agents. Yeah, guys are going to run to the Nets so they can play in Brooklyn!  They can't even keep their coach, this team is so bad.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 12:15:14 PM »
You mean the Nets won't get Gasol for Josh Boone?

Bosh/Brook Lopez/Lewie Scola frontline
Devin Harris pg/Lebron sg

I'll put those starters against any other NBA team.
Keep Rafer Alston as the backup pg or shoot, even start him I'm fine with that.

Nets will most likely get a #5 overall pick or better.

Lopez, Harris, Alston, CDR stay along with #5 pick. 
Yeah, i can see the Nets adding 3 4 5 FAs and rolling.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 12:30:02 PM »
If the Nets do start next year with LeBron and a top 3 pick, you're all kidding yourselves if you don't think they can be competing within 2-3 years.  LeBron turned around the cleveland with less.  Instant contender?  Maybe not.  But Brook Lopez and Devin Harris look a lot more competent as #2 and 3 options than they do trying to carry the load.  Lopez in particular would work well with LeBron (Harris I have my questions about).

Marketing potential is IMO more valuable than the extra % and years Cleveland can offer.  People want to be like Mike off the court as well.

The key, as always, is not getting the top 3 pick, but making the right selection with the top 3 pick.

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 12:46:10 PM »
Marketing potential is IMO more valuable than the extra % and years Cleveland can offer.

I don't think being in New York or LA adds any sort of marketing potential to Lebron James, or anyone else, it's a global world, a 24/7 news world, a flat earth, Lebron James doesn't become 'more' marektable in New York in my estimation, that's old world old tech thinking that no longer applies in my estimation.

If money isn't the primary motivation (Cleveland can offer the most money) I think Lebron ends up going to the best situation towards winning a title, because he needs titles to cement the legacy everyone wants him to have.  Now if Devin Harris and Courtney Lee can evolve this year (record irrelevant) and the Nets get a high draft pick AND a very rich new owner who is willing to spend to win (damn you comcast, why don't you sell to the russian), whether or not the Nets move to brooklyn or not won't be as relevant.

I doubt Lebron likes the fact that Wade has more titles than he does.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 12:49:08 PM »
I think you're greatly wrong.  It might be a global world, but TV markets are still very much segmented.  His marketing potential at NY is much more than it is in Cleveland.

jemagee

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 12:51:43 PM »
I think you're greatly wrong.  It might be a global world, but TV markets are still very much segmented.  His marketing potential at NY is much more than it is in Cleveland.
I think national and international marketing deals are going to pay multiples more than the local new york deal he's gong to get...maybe the knicks get more money for their commercials, but the money he gets from crazy eddies or whatever for new york commercials is going to pale in comparison to the continued money from nike and whatever other national campaigns he has (not to mention this 'tribute' to jordan changing jersey numbers so he can be back to #1)

Oh yeah, and being on a team with Yi Jianlian - no matter how good or bad he is - is huge for Lebron cause it opens a market to him...

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 03:43:59 PM »
I think national and international marketing deals are going to pay multiples more than the local new york deal he's gong to get

Probably true.  But the amount in NY would be substantially more.

I have no doubt he could make up $20 million in local marketing in NY.  No doubt.  It's not a comparison local vs national, it's a comparison (local ny - local cleveland) - (Cleveland Contract - Nets Contract).

jemagee

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 04:32:57 PM »
ESPN reporting that Frank has already been fired before the Lakers game tonight.