Author Topic: Are the Nets tanking?  (Read 22345 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Are the Nets tanking?
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2010, 01:34:07 PM »
Mikhail Prokorov the rich Russian on 60 Minutes' interviewed by Steve Kroft.
Not that this show confirms or denies, but i am more convinced he will buy the team and they are moving to Brooklyn.

The Nets did surpass the 76ers worst record of all time, getting their 10th win by beating the Popovichs.
But they still have a 5 game lead over MN for the most ping pong balls.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2010, 10:33:32 PM »
LeBron to the Nets just took a step closer with the Celtics 30 point blowout at Cleveland to go up 3-2.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2010, 09:57:03 AM »
2. It is not a sure thing the Nets go to New York and the EARLIEST they can is the 2011-2012 season.  Lebron will be a free to leave in a few months.  A deal to move them to Brooklyn has not even been finalized. 
Done.
New Russian owner Prokhorov league approval now official.
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5181478
Final approval of the sale was delayed until the state of New York had taken over all the land seized under eminent domain at the site of the team's Barclays Center in Brooklyn. The Nets expect that transaction to close Wednesday, and the long-delayed 18,000-seat arena is to open in 2012.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2010, 09:40:32 AM »
So there's the possibility that, if, as most players do, LeBron takes a 6 year deal with an opt-out after 3 years, that LeBron might be in his final season with New Jersey before they open the building, if he decides to go with the Nets.  That being the case, why not take the same deal, for more money (and an extra year), with Cleveland?  If New Jersey gets its act together, he can opt out and go there once the building is built.

I'm of the opinion that *MOST* of this year's free agent class are staying right where they are, due to the fact that the Collective Bargaining Agreement talks have not been productive, and the owners are insisting on huge concessions by the players.  If I was a player, I'd want my deal locked up for as long a term as I could make it, before the new CBA kicks in, when, most likely, my earning potential would be far less.

I think Bosh is moving, and Joe Johnson will consider it.  Wade and James will stay put.  Stoudemire will move, but only if it's to Cleveland or New York, otherwise, he'll stay with the Suns.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2010, 09:53:12 AM »
Just thought about my statement as to what I'd do based on the CBA.

Starting to re-think it, although I don't think it changes.

LeBron will have income from other sources in the event of a lockout.  He may choose to maximize that income, meaning he can hold out for longer - potentially even longer that the Players Union.  In such a case, it makes sense for him to sign with New York, not New Jersey.  This would give him the ability to hold out beyond the Players Union, which gives the Players Union an extra bargaining chip - "LeBron will never go for it.  And you'll lose money and fan support - from one of your most important teams."  Imagine the press the NBA would get if New York signed LeBron, and then he held out when the Players Union caved (as it always does), and he did that for NEW YORK.  Let's face it - for this to work, you need current *FAN* *SUPPORT*.  You get that from New York - not New Jersey.  Imagine a crowd of angry Knicks fans, who are supposed to be watching LeBron James, but he's holding out, while games are being played.  What do you think the reaction would be at the NBA Draft the next year when Stern walked out?

I don't think this will change things, but felt it fair to offer it up as a dissenting view that I could see as a reasonable possibility.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2010, 06:31:51 PM »
Just thought about my statement as to what I'd do based on the CBA.

Starting to re-think it, although I don't think it changes.

LeBron will have income from other sources in the event of a lockout.  He may choose to maximize that income, meaning he can hold out for longer - potentially even longer that the Players Union.  In such a case, it makes sense for him to sign with New York, not New Jersey.  This would give him the ability to hold out beyond the Players Union, which gives the Players Union an extra bargaining chip - "LeBron will never go for it.  And you'll lose money and fan support - from one of your most important teams."  Imagine the press the NBA would get if New York signed LeBron, and then he held out when the Players Union caved (as it always does), and he did that for NEW YORK.  Let's face it - for this to work, you need current *FAN* *SUPPORT*.  You get that from New York - not New Jersey.  Imagine a crowd of angry Knicks fans, who are supposed to be watching LeBron James, but he's holding out, while games are being played.  What do you think the reaction would be at the NBA Draft the next year when Stern walked out?

I don't think this will change things, but felt it fair to offer it up as a dissenting view that I could see as a reasonable possibility.

Excellent post sir!
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2010, 05:05:46 PM »
Mikhail Prokorov "I'll make Nets fans out of Knicks fans"

Russian diplomat?s daughter gets top Nets post
He also brought in a chick to help.

The daughter of a Russian diplomat was hired Thursday as president of the company that will oversee the New Jersey Nets.

Mikhail Prokhorov?s Onexim Group announced that Irina Pavlova will be the team owner?s representative in the New York area.

Pavlova has extensive experience in business and finance. She earned an MBA from Stanford, worked as a financial analyst with Prudential Investment Corp. and became Russia?s first employee for Google. She lived in Moscow and Washington as a child.

Prokhorov, a billionaire who is Russia?s richest man, has promised to revive the last-place Nets. His company described Pavlova as the ?perfect bridge between Russia and the United States.?

?She will establish the company?s office (in New York) and cooperate closely with the Nets management to ensure they have everything they need to build a championship team,? Onexim said in a statement.

Pavlova will coordinate the development project in Brooklyn that is to become the Nets? new home. The long-delayed arena is expected to open in 2012. Prokhorov agreed to buy 80 percent of the Nets and 45 percent of the arena project from developer Bruce Ratner last year.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2010, 06:30:18 PM »
Mikhail Prokorov "I'll make Nets fans out of Knicks fans"

Russian diplomat?s daughter gets top Nets post
He also brought in a chick to help.

The daughter of a Russian diplomat was hired Thursday as president of the company that will oversee the New Jersey Nets.

Mikhail Prokhorov?s Onexim Group announced that Irina Pavlova will be the team owner?s representative in the New York area.

Pavlova has extensive experience in business and finance. She earned an MBA from Stanford, worked as a financial analyst with Prudential Investment Corp. and became Russia?s first employee for Google. She lived in Moscow and Washington as a child.

Prokhorov, a billionaire who is Russia?s richest man, has promised to revive the last-place Nets. His company described Pavlova as the ?perfect bridge between Russia and the United States.?

?She will establish the company?s office (in New York) and cooperate closely with the Nets management to ensure they have everything they need to build a championship team,? Onexim said in a statement.

Pavlova will coordinate the development project in Brooklyn that is to become the Nets? new home. The long-delayed arena is expected to open in 2012. Prokhorov agreed to buy 80 percent of the Nets and 45 percent of the arena project from developer Bruce Ratner last year.

This is old news man, here is the latest and greatest ...
http://forums.phillyarena.com/index.php?topic=6171.0
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2010, 06:49:20 PM »
Darn you ziggy,  :D ;)
i anticipated photoshots of the new Net Russian cheerleaders.  :-\

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2010, 11:37:27 AM »
If The Nets can attract LeBron, NY fans will forget about the Knicks and make the treck to Brooklyn. The Knicks have been so bad for so long that NY basketball fans will jump on the Nets bandwagon.

With so much money backing the team and a stadium on track to be built in 2 years and so much room under the cap, NJ can unite LeBron and another star or two along with the # 3 pick in the draft. Even though this is speculation, all the stars are coming into alignment.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2010, 09:43:56 PM »
rt ^^^^
NJ will get 1st crack at pitching to LeBron, if Yahoo Sports "league sources" is to be believed.
If Bosh will go where LeBron goes, it's on in Jersey.
Jersey also trying to get Sam Presti from OKC as GM.  I approve!

6 teams purported to be in the running.
Nets, New York Knicks, Chicago Bulls, Los Angeles Clippers, Miami Heat and Cleveland Cavaliers
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AnBUhWWC2mvHqAZG_LdhOK.8vLYF?slug=aw-lebronjayz062510