Author Topic: Bulls @ Sixers Nov 30 - 2 PM - NBA TV  (Read 9168 times)

jemagee

Re: Bulls @ Sixers Nov 30 - 2 PM - NBA TV
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 07:06:28 PM »
I know there was some stat site that said the Sixers were supposed to be good last year... but they started Green and Evans.  That was having the NBA's worst starters at 2/5 positions, and then you throw in Sam, who you can't let touch the ball.  There was every reason for THAT team to start out horribly.  They turned it around when the put Thad out as a starter.

THey're still starting Sam, and Andre Miller seems to be done

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 07:11:24 PM »
How come Royal Ivey gets more touches in the "offense" than Thad?

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 07:22:52 PM »
Hopefully we begin to actively explore trade opportunities involving Miller and Sam... and Iguodala if necessary. 

Who else here wouldn't mind seeing Avery Johnson take the reigns? 

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 07:37:25 PM »
  Heck, at very least they should have a mismatch in the post on offense with either Miller, Thad, iguodala or Brand- but apparently they feel posting up smaller guards is dishonorable, or just not part of the offense. 

Sorry to quote myself, but Mo just answered this in his postgame by saying that "Our game is not based on taking advantage of favorable match-ups..."  Mo, what exactly do you mean, becasue it sure makes you sound like an idiot.

Isn't that what the offense should be in the first place?

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 08:23:27 PM »
Sam - 15 minutes, 4 points (2-6 from the field), 4 rebounds, zero blocks...

If he is still in the starting lineup when they play in Chicago, Mo should be hung.

Actually...that has to already be in the cards...that comment after the game that tk cited...having Evans on the floor with 2.5 seconds left in the 3rd...it is clear that Mo has simply lost it.

Do something, Eddie...

NOW

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 09:30:54 PM »
I missed the game today, but it sounds like I didn't miss much new.  At least we now know that the team apparently looks for unfavorable matchups?  Using that as a premise for our offense makes the way they play much more understandable to me.   :o

Finding a first-rate PG has to be job #1 for Eddie at this point, with a new coach being the next thing on his to do list.  I would put new coach first on the list, but PG's are harder to find so let's start there.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2008, 09:38:55 PM »
Like, isn't the ENTIRE POINT OF A BASKETBALL OFFENSE TO GENERATE A FAVORABLE MATCHUP AND THEN TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT!?  WHAT.  THE.  FUCK.  MY ANGER LEVEL IS OVER 9000!  I WANT TO KNIFE MO CHEEKS RIGHT NOW.  SERIOUSLY.  MY GOD.

[/rant]

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 12:26:47 PM »
Like, isn't the ENTIRE POINT OF A BASKETBALL OFFENSE TO GENERATE A FAVORABLE MATCHUP AND THEN TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT!?  WHAT.  THE.  FUCK.  MY ANGER LEVEL IS OVER 9000!  I WANT TO KNIFE MO CHEEKS RIGHT NOW.  SERIOUSLY.  MY GOD.

No, no, no, exploiting naother team's weaknesses would be impolite.  The Sixers way is more chivalrous and gentlemanly, albeit less successful.  The recent articles in the Philly papers keep talking about how Mo is stressing certain issues to the team, but the team does not seem to respond.  Either he is communicating poorly, he does not have a great solution to fix these "issues" or they have tuned him out.  None of these possibilities bode well.

BTW, did anyone see the befuddled looks on the faces of Mo and Lynam after a timeout was called near the end of the Celtics game?  The C's had almost stolen the ball from Brand with a nifty defensive rotation and you could tell that the two of them were at a loss as to how to deal with it. 

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 12:37:14 PM »
Does anyone have the direct quote Mo said?  In its full context?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 01:01:43 PM »
Does anyone have the direct quote Mo said?  In its full context?

If you put it in context it would not be nearly as funny.   :D

I think the point was more along the lines of our team "playing its game" and not dictating how we play on matchups.  Actually not a bad philosphy if you have an offense and talent that can routinely dictate the matchups and style of play to the other team, unfortuantely we don't have that luxury.  While his quote may be taken out of context, it is an amusing insight into the bigger set of problems this team has on the coaching side.  Simply put, Mo is an effort coach, this team needs a coach that can far more effectively emphasize execution on both ends of the court and install a system fitted to the available talent while getting the players to buy into it.

One point of emphasis for the team according to Mo is the need to covert more fastbreak opportunities into points.  Supposedly we only convert about 60% of out fast breaks into points.  Watch this team on the break, they don't execute with any precision or apparent plan.  The ball handler usually over handles, the players don't stay in their lanes, no one goes to a spot for a kickout pass consistently.  Don't even get me started on our transition defense (or lack thereof) when one of our guys takes the ball to the rack.

The lack of execution we routinely see in the half-court is essentially the same problem they have on fastbreaks.  The helter-skelter style of last year on offense and defense is no longer enough, teams are ready for us to do that.  The team needs to grow into a team with a disciplined style and precision play like you see in real contenders, be it in the ahlf-court offense, in transition both ways and in all facets of defense.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 01:40:24 PM »
I went back and listened to the quote again- it was not taken out of context.

Mo was questioned about a favorable matchup with Gordon trying to cover a much bigger Iguodala.  Mo responded word for word what I wrote, and then tried to change gears saying it is all about playing better defense.

Sorry, I erased my recording of the game- and the quote was taken straight out of Mo's brief press conference that was part of the CSN postgame show.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 01:43:45 PM by tk76- »

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 02:44:16 PM »
I went back and listened to the quote again- it was not taken out of context.

Mo was questioned about a favorable matchup with Gordon trying to cover a much bigger Iguodala.  Mo responded word for word what I wrote, and then tried to change gears saying it is all about playing better defense.

Sorry, I erased my recording of the game- and the quote was taken straight out of Mo's brief press conference that was part of the CSN postgame show.

Well, now that makes it more sad than funny.

jemagee

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 02:46:05 PM »
So in another thread on another board someone claims to have been at the game and saw stefanski and said he doesn't look like he's sleeping much...i don't know if ed always looks like that or what, but you gotta think this isn't the start he expected.

I would think in terms of 'disappointments' to start the season, team wise, the sixers would be a top 5?

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2008, 03:12:18 PM »
For a guy who was quoted and interviewed in every media outlet imaginable this summer, Stefanski has been noticeably unquotable lately.

Hey, Eddie...how about having some cojones and let us know what you're thinking - OK?

jemagee

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 03:19:57 PM »
Hey, Eddie...how about having some cojones and let us know what you're thinking - OK?

he's doing what most GMs do in this situation usually - i think his silence speaks volumes - and that somethings going to happen and they are finalizing exactly what it's going to be