Author Topic: Bulls @ Sixers Nov 30 - 2 PM - NBA TV  (Read 9155 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Bulls @ Sixers Nov 30 - 2 PM - NBA TV
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2008, 03:27:31 PM »

I would think in terms of 'disappointments' to start the season, team wise, the sixers would be a top 5?

No, I think most people expected this team to struggle to start the season, and going 7-10 does not jump out at you as horribly bad.

It is more the way they have played, and the weakness of their schedule that makes them such a disappointment.

jemagee

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2008, 03:31:41 PM »
I thought most of the mainstream media thought the sixers would be a serious conteder from day one - challenging  the top 4 of the east and yet they are in the basement of their division ?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2008, 04:14:16 PM »
As much as I like to bash cheeks, I do think his point was "we need to concentrate on defense, because that's something that can be consistent", not saying "we ignore any favorable matchups on offense".

The clip is here:
http://csnphilly.com/pages/video

jemagee

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2008, 04:16:44 PM »
Except that depending on how you want to look at it an argument could be made that the defense is 'ok' while the offense is putrid

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2008, 04:20:54 PM »
Except that depending on how you want to look at it an argument could be made that the defense is 'ok' while the offense is putrid

Right.

The offensive sets and productivity are certainly a problem.

My point was I don't think he was literally saying they don't look at favorable matchups.  Not that the offensive sets are performing as they should.

jemagee

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2008, 04:22:36 PM »
Oh I got your point, I guess my point was that if Mo thinks that 'defense is the problem' more so than the offense it just should be another nail in the coffin of his sixer coaching career.

You know the sixers are second in OREB% but 27 in eFG%?  Every other team in the top five of OREB% are in the top 10 of eFG%

Portland, Lakers, Utah, Cleveland

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2008, 04:28:36 PM »
Logic, as done by Mo Cheeks in that PC:

Premises:
We don't take advantage of matchups on offense
We didn't score the ball on offense

Conclusion:
We need to improve our defense.

WHAT!?  Anybody know any assassins or ninjas for hire?  My god.  That's like the equivalent of a baseball team saying "we were last in runs last year, we  should probably improve our pitching".  I am seriously seething right now.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2008, 04:39:27 PM »

My point was I don't think he was literally saying they don't look at favorable matchups.  Not that the offensive sets are performing as they should.

Thanks for finding the clip.

What is not included was the reporter's question.  Mo was specifically asked about the favorable match-up early in the game with Gordon covering Iguodala.  Mo switching his answer to discuss defense is more evasive and dismissive than anything- even if he is right that defense is critical.

That said, having a small gaffe like that is not a big deal.  It is just frustrating after watching this team's struggles and their unwillingness to keep going to Thad after he again was off to a hot start.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2008, 05:13:39 PM »
Mo is still one of the best defensive players in the league, he seems to be the only guy capable of holding Thad under 20 points after the guy scores 15 or more in the first 15 minutes of the game.  :o

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2008, 06:00:18 PM »
I wonder if some of it has to do with inconsistency from Young's inexperience and youth.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2008, 06:10:18 PM »
I could see that, but when I see Young score a bunch of points in the first quarter then mysteriously disappear, it seems his touches vanish, not that he misses shots.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2008, 06:13:33 PM »
I do think he has some bad games due to inconsistency, inexperience, and youth.  But when he scores 15 points, then is out of the game for the next 10 minutes, there's really no excuse.

Also, have we figured out why Thad gets almost no touches in the post despite the fact that he's almost never been stopped one on one?

jemagee

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2008, 06:20:53 PM »
Also, have we figured out why Thad gets almost no touches in the post despite the fact that he's almost never been stopped one on one?

Questions like this should remember who the head coach is :)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2008, 06:26:44 PM »

Because Thad has to stop focusing on advantageous match-ups and start playing more defense!

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2008, 09:51:02 PM »
I could see that, but when I see Young score a bunch of points in the first quarter then mysteriously disappear, it seems his touches vanish, not that he misses shots.

He doesn't even have to come out of the game, but his shots do dry up.  He is definitely a year away from carrying a full time leading scorer load, but when he is hot it almost seems like the other guys on the team freeze him out.  I doubt it is really that, more likely it has something to do with the mystifying design of the offense.