Author Topic: Latest from sf1976: Iggy on the block  (Read 21331 times)

Offline pointguard86

• View Profile
Re: Latest from sf1976: Iggy on the block
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2008, 04:14:42 PM »
Ducky,

thanks for the clarification on the VC thing.  i guess at this point they are still ways apart on the negotiations.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2008, 04:35:24 PM »
I forced myself to go look at the CBA and I agree with Mr. Koon that Iggy will be a BYC player for purposes of a S&T.  That makes a sign and trade for McGrady or Carter nearly impossible.  If Iggy sign for $12 million per to start, his trade number going out would only be $6 million, so the most we could take back in salary for him would be $7.6 million ($6 million X1.25 + $100K).  Add in Reggie and we can only take back $13.2 million total.

Trading a BYC for a BYC doesn't work either, becuase although the BYC calculation applies to the outgoing player's salary, the full amount of the incoming player's salary counts as incoming.  Hence two BYC players signed to exactly the same contract do not match up in a trade.

Offline southjersey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2008, 05:03:09 PM »
Hey if we signed AI to the 1 year contract, what would that leave us in cap space?

I really cant believe Iggy thinks he is worth the max. I'm disapointed as a fan too because this is a good team now and he should be concerned about the team as well. Billy King isnt here anymore to give out a Kenny Thomas contract, Iguodala needs to wak up.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2008, 05:09:40 PM »
Hey if we signed AI to the 1 year contract, what would that leave us in cap space?

If he would accept the qualifying offer, not only would we have max cap room next year (I believe), but we'd have ca 5 million to spend this year as well (until we sign lou, at least).

Offline southjersey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2008, 05:13:54 PM »
Thats interesting. Funny that we could have max cap room 2 years in a row with the tendered FA from this year.

With that 5 million, we might be able to get Childress. Is Greece offering more than that?

jemagee

« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2008, 05:19:31 PM »
The MLE doesn't get josh childres...the greece deal is better cause it's ALL cash...Childress doesn't net 5 million if the sixers offer it to him, he probably only gets about 60-65% in cash, and then has to pay everyone off, taxes and such.

The Greece deal is all taxes covered, and probabyl all his expenses covered, pluss less games, plus you get to live in greece

The MLE for 5 years isn't equivalent to his greece deal cause of all the perks as i understand it

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2008, 05:21:23 PM »
The MLE for 5 years isn't equivalent to his greece deal cause of all the perks as i understand it

that would probably be a little short-sighted of a way for Childress to look at it, IMO.  Not to really get too off topic on this, but I think childress could lose money on his next contract if he plays overseas.

jemagee

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2008, 05:27:43 PM »
that would probably be a little short-sighted of a way for Childress to look at it, IMO.  Not to really get too off topic on this, but I think childress could lose money on his next contract if he plays overseas.

The trip overseas is all about the money and getting away from the hawks...so i doubt the hawks wouldn't match an MLE deal as well...the NBA players signing euro deals (Childress would actually be the fourth 'recognizable' name) this summer all supposedly have easy outs after each season if they want to return to the NBA.

It may be short sighted, but it's a 3 year deal, for 20 million, in a much stronger currency, with no taxes, and so many perks his head will probably spin, for less work than he does now...and assuming he's successful he probably gets another offer.

I don't see it as short sighted personally....and he probably isn't the last guy as the us recession continues to frack the dollar and both presidential candidates have not clue one how to deal with the issues (or what the real issues are)

Offline southjersey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2008, 05:30:41 PM »
If Childress wants to become Greek and be all about money, then he should take that deal. Or maybe he just doesnt like the NBA.

jemagee

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2008, 05:38:38 PM »
If Childress wants to become Greek and be all about money, then he should take that deal. Or maybe he just doesnt like the NBA.

um, most professional athletes are all about money...if someone in the NBA offers him more money than the greek deal is offering him, he'd take it.

Please don't pretend that the guys not going to euro are doing it for the 'good' of the team or whatever, it's all about money

or did you forget that the sixers on restricted free agent is asking for about 80 million dollars?

I wish people would accept that professional atheletes, like most of us, like to get paid more for what they do...and that for most of us, more money is better

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2008, 05:39:22 PM »
The cap this year is at $58.6 million.  Next year should be about $60 million.  Currently we are scheduled to have about $38 million in salary for next year not counting Lou and Iggy.  Add in Lou at about $6 million and we have $44 million committed for 2009-2010 plus a couple million for our draft picks next year and we should have roughly about $14 million in cap space, assuming Iggy plays for the qualifying offer and Miller is not extended.  This year, under the same assumptions we would have about $5 million in cap space.  We may have a little more or less depending on Lou's contract.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 09:04:24 PM by Skates »

Offline southjersey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2008, 05:50:30 PM »

um, most professional athletes are all about money...if someone in the NBA offers him more money than the greek deal is offering him, he'd take it.

Please don't pretend that the guys not going to euro are doing it for the 'good' of the team or whatever, it's all about money

or did you forget that the sixers on restricted free agent is asking for about 80 million dollars?

I wish people would accept that professional atheletes, like most of us, like to get paid more for what they do...and that for most of us, more money is better

Yes most players are about money, but I'd bet they'd want to live in a country where they know the language and they are comfortable living in.

The NBA in terms of Star status blows any other pro league out of the water. This is a great country to be a pro athlete in.

jemagee

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2008, 05:57:47 PM »
Yes most players are about money, but I'd bet they'd want to live in a country where they know the language and they are comfortable living in.

The NBA in terms of Star status blows any other pro league out of the water. This is a great country to be a pro athlete in.

I somehow doubt the guys living in spain or france or greece are uncomfortable, and they are as catered to, if not more, in other countires without an as intrusive media...I think you have a rather provincial snobbish view of the rest of the world, and with the weak dollar, there are other countries (with stronger currencies) that are just as good to live in, this isn't south korea, this is living in the meidterranean where sports matters a lot more to a larger percentage of people than it does here...if you aren't in engalnd, the media isn't anywhere as NEAR as intrusive, and your 'indiscretions' are a lot more forgiven in europe....no one would give a god damn in france if a-rod was sleeping with madonna, miley cyrus and lindsay lohan, all at the same time.

Offline southjersey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2008, 06:02:49 PM »

I somehow doubt the guys living in spain or france or greece are uncomfortable, and they are as catered to, if not more, in other countires without an as intrusive media...I think you have a rather provincial snobbish view of the rest of the world, and with the weak dollar, there are other countries (with stronger currencies) that are just as good to live in, this isn't south korea, this is living in the meidterranean where sports matters a lot more to a larger percentage of people than it does here...if you aren't in engalnd, the media isn't anywhere as NEAR as intrusive, and your 'indiscretions' are a lot more forgiven in europe....no one would give a god damn in france if a-rod was sleeping with madonna, miley cyrus and lindsay lohan, all at the same time.

I'm not being snobbish, I am aware of the American dollar's value. I've been to many countries in Europe and saw the difference in culture. I'm also aware that pro ahlete crave the spotlight, and the NBA is the spotlight.

jemagee

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2008, 06:12:34 PM »
I'm not being snobbish, I am aware of the American dollar's value. I've been to many countries in Europe and saw the difference in culture. I'm also aware that pro ahlete crave the spotlight, and the NBA is the spotlight.

You're generalizing...not all pro athletes seek the spotlight, not all of them are terrell owens, in fact there's one right here on the sixers who seems to actively avoid the spotlight...

I bet you josh childress factors in the quality of life he would have in greece when he moves, besides which, he could end up with endorsement money he has no chance to get in america.

Hell, there are guys who get endorsement deals in china for the mere fact they are on the same team as yao ming