Author Topic: Latest from sf1976: Iggy on the block  (Read 21361 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Latest from sf1976: Iggy on the block
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2008, 07:02:43 PM »
Iggy's not going anywhere, and he's not going to get 15 mil. from the Sixers or anyone else.  He hasn't demonstrated that he's worth max money-merely played well enough to suggest he has the potential to be that player.  You don't get paid money like that putting up less than 20 a game, with a couple of assists and rebounds.

But the bottom line here, is that there is no market for Iggy or any of the other free agents with Dollar signs in their eyes.  Everyone is too close to the cap to pursue these players, and the situation next year will be even worse when some higher-level players come onto the market as free agents.

The best thing Iggy can do is sign for as much as the Sixers are willing to pay for 2 years.  That way he can demonstrate what he is really worth, and create a demand in the rest of the league that would cause other teams to make offers.   If he can really be a super player like T-Mac or VC used to be regarded, then the Sixers would have a harder decision to make.

Ed really did some good long-range planning, evaluating the free agent market and the problem of the salaries for his potential stars. No one is offering money for Williams or Iggy because they can't.  The only teams that were a threat are Memphis - whatever is going on there, they aren't trying to win, and the Clippers once they lost Brand.  But loosing Brand made finding a power forward more important than getting a player like Iggy, so getting Brand neutralized that potential threat.

The reality of the marketplace is that Iggy and Williams will have to settle with the Sixers, at least for now.  Shorter contracts will give them the opportunity to make money later, if they perform well enough for the Sixers.  That's really all they can do now.  Good for Sixer fans, bad for greedy players, unless they want to go to Europe.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2008, 08:46:05 PM »
I guess signing Iguodala to the QO is almost entirely good.  It would free up MLE type money to add a much needed shooter, and would be another year of Iguodala at below market value.

If the team and Iguodala do great, then even if they sign him in the summer for the max, they saved themselves 6M over the life of the contract by having him play this year for cheap.  If he leaves, it looks like there might be a good crop of FA's (who signed the QO this summer) to sign as a replacement.  Also, by next summer, Thad, Lou and Speights will be that much more ready to assume prominent roles.  Maybe we can even trade away Sam for a PG to replace Miller, and have Speights step in as starting center with Evans and Smith as versatile back-ups at PF/C.

in 2009-2010

New PG (from Sam trade)
FA (Iguodala or his max salary replacement)
Thad
Brand
Speights

Bench:  Lou, Smith, Evans and 5M shooter(acquired with cap space this year after Iguodala signs the tender.)

That sounds even better than if we sign Iguodala to a fair long term deal, and its not like we lose anything.  Worst case Iguodala sits out a few months and we have to watch Lou and WG share SG duties. I'm sure by the second half Iguodala will be back playing for his future salary and fresh for a playoff push.

Can you see any downsides to Iguodala signing the QO?

jemagee

« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2008, 08:49:04 PM »

The history (to my recollection) of how guys PLAY when they sign the QO?  Losing a great (though under rated by the fans) player for absolutely nothing...

I'm not really sure who you are going to find to take sam and give you a pg who is any good, but hey, more power to you.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2008, 09:02:43 PM »

Well, it's not our decision.

The downside if he does take it is there's the possibility of what Brand did.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2008, 09:27:21 PM »

Well, it's not our decision.

The downside if he does take it is there's the possibility of what Brand did.

That IS the risk, but with so many free agents available over the next season, the Sixers still would have a great shot at keeping him, and if his market value goes up, so be it. Snyder and Lukko and Stefanski aren't Stirling, and they won't play games with Iggy but offer him fair value.  He can disagree all he wants, but he still needs a team to pay him and give him equal or better opportunity at a ring.  All the Sixers would want is the chance to match any offer, and if some team offers him max money, he's probably worth it.

If I'm right about him scoring more like 24pts. this season, he'll get a very nice offer from someone next year.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2008, 09:27:42 PM »
I guess there are a couple of teams that figure to have cap space next summer but the question would be whether or not they would give Iguodala the type of deal he is looking for.

jemagee

« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2008, 09:39:19 PM »
If you're right about him scoring 24 PPG, on a one year tender offer, i'll give you $50

jemagee

« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2008, 09:06:01 AM »
According to an ESPN.com reoprt, the pistons have been offering chauncey billups and tayshaun prince around the league and have been turned down by denver (for carmelo) and houston (for t-mac) and it claims that Houstwon still wants to build around McGrady.  If they aren't interested in tayshaun or chauncey on a team that wants to 'win now' - why would they be interested in Iguodala?

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2008, 09:54:16 AM »
According to an ESPN.com reoprt, the pistons have been offering chauncey billups and tayshaun prince around the league and have been turned down by denver (for carmelo) and houston (for t-mac) and it claims that Houstwon still wants to build around McGrady.  If they aren't interested in tayshaun or chauncey on a team that wants to 'win now' - why would they be interested in Iguodala?

Wait... I would think that turning down a deal for Billups would indicate that Houston doesn't want to win now. Also, could you have Battier and Prince in the same starting 5??

jemagee

« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2008, 10:10:14 AM »
I have no idea, ESPN was unclear on who was offered to denver and who was offered to houston...they just mentioned the four names...why can't you have prince and battier in the same strting line up but you could have iguodala and prince?

Just curios.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2008, 11:40:47 AM »
I don't think you could have Iguodala and Prince or Iguodala and Battier or Prince and Battier or Iguodala and Young as your starting 2/3s. Well, I guess you could but I just don't think it would lead to a title unless Iguodala improves his outside shooting.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2008, 11:44:24 AM »
I actually disagree.  Prince's jump shot has improved enough to where it is good enough to keep defenders honest and open up the lane.  I think Prince/Iguodala would be a very good 2/3, actually.

jemagee

« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2008, 11:47:09 AM »
Prince's jump shot has improved enough to where it is good enough to keep defenders honest and open up the lane.  I think Prince/Iguodala would be a very good 2/3, actually

So here's a question that occurs to me for the title seekers among us :)

Would you give up thad young (and pieces, but not real major ones) to get tayshaun prince to start with andre iguodala?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2008, 11:53:46 AM »
I'd consider it, but probably wouldn't.  I think Prince is one of the best wing (if not the best) defenders in the game, but I'm not sure it brings us to championship level.  If we could swap Miller for Chauncey?  Then I might.  Billups-Iguodala-Prince-Brand-Dalembert is legit title contender IMO.

jemagee

« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2008, 11:59:58 AM »
I think to get Billups AND prince you'd probably have to include Young, Speights and probably Smith not to mention a first round pick or two, don't you think?

Plus to get the contracts to work without including iguodala you'd have to throw in like the entire bench?