Author Topic: Latest from sf1976: Iggy on the block  (Read 21330 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Latest from sf1976: Iggy on the block
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2008, 01:26:21 PM »
One of the questions that needs to be asked is this:

If teams with good management are willing to pay Iggy or Deng or whomever, a salary that the RFA finds agreeable, is the selling team undervaluing their own RFA?  In other words, except for the Milicic incident, Dumars seems to be pretty sharp.  If he were willing, hypothetically, to pay Iggy $12 million per year maybe that should be telling us something about his real market value. 

It depends on the situation.  many GM's might be willing to overpay if it means unloading an older, similarly paid player or unloading a bad contract.  If someone is willing to give back an equally valuable young player and overpay Iguodala, them maybe its telling you something.

I'm sure Melo has drawn better offers than Iguodala, even with his character issues.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2008, 01:44:09 PM »
One of the questions that needs to be asked is this:

If teams with good management are willing to pay Iggy or Deng or whomever, a salary that the RFA finds agreeable, is the selling team undervaluing their own RFA?  In other words, except for the Milicic incident, Dumars seems to be pretty sharp.  If he were willing, hypothetically, to pay Iggy $12 million per year maybe that should be telling us something about his real market value. 

It depends on the situation.  many GM's might be willing to overpay if it means unloading an older, similarly paid player or unloading a bad contract.  If someone is willing to give back an equally valuable young player and overpay Iguodala, them maybe its telling you something.

I'm sure Melo has drawn better offers than Iguodala, even with his character issues.

Actually it tells you something if they are trying to unload an overpaid older player or bad contract, it is telling you to look somehwere else so you don't get stuck with their discards.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 01:53:20 PM by Skates »

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2008, 01:50:48 PM »
I'm hesitant about T-Mac and really hesitant about Carter BUT I would rather have either of those on THIS team than Iguodala at a deal close to the max. Carter has no heart but still shows up from time to time and has a much better shot than Iguodala. That said, he has a massive contract and it's unlikely he suddenly cares if he wins or not.

T-Mac is a helluva player when healthy but the key there is "when healthy". IF he could play a full healthy season on this team... we could potentially win an NBA championship. What I like about McGrady is that he doesn't have a long contract. He has two years left on his deal and so he could not only help the Sixers contend in 08-09 and 09-10 but his $23MIL expiring contract could enable the Sixers to become a player for the services of Wade, LeBron, Amare, Bosh, Nowitzki, Josh Howard, Jefferson, Redd, Joe Johnson, Chandler, or Ginobli in the summer of 2010.

jemagee

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2008, 01:56:15 PM »

And the one note game issues?  Melo shoots, melo scores, that's all melo does...to me he's just grossly over rated because of the draft class he was part of, where he was picked, and winning an NCAA tournament his freshman year...talk about over paid...and no i wouldn't trade iguodala for melo either

jemagee

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2008, 01:57:16 PM »
So TGP wouldn't over pay Iguodala

but he would take on an over paid aging Vince Carter or an over paid aging Tracy McGrady with a declining back?

Carter and Mcgrady are signed to frightfully big contracts that they aren't really worth either, i'll talk the healthier younger guy who still has some upside left over the 'downslope guys' any day

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2008, 01:58:41 PM »
I'm hesitant about T-Mac and really hesitant about Carter BUT I would rather have either of those on THIS team than Iguodala at a deal close to the max. Carter has no heart but still shows up from time to time and has a much better shot than Iguodala. That said, he has a massive contract and it's unlikely he suddenly cares if he wins or not.

T-Mac is a helluva player when healthy but the key there is "when healthy". IF he could play a full healthy season on this team... we could potentially win an NBA championship. What I like about McGrady is that he doesn't have a long contract. He has two years left on his deal and so he could not only help the Sixers contend in 08-09 and 09-10 but his $23MIL expiring contract could enable the Sixers to become a player for the services of Wade, LeBron, Amare, Bosh, Nowitzki, Josh Howard, Jefferson, Redd, Joe Johnson, Chandler, or Ginobli in the summer of 2010.

One of the problems with T-Mac is our lack of depth at the swing positions.  We will end up with WG starting all of the games he can't play, but at least he is only on the books for two years and maybe they throw Landry in the deal.  That said, he is eminently preferable to VC.  I would much rather overpay Iggy than VC who has an enormous contract, no interest in winning or playing hard and is still on the books for 4 more years.  Iggy would be overpaid by a few mil per year, every penny paid for VC might as well be thrown in the toilet.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2008, 02:01:32 PM »
Carter's too old, and tmac's too injured.  If I thought either one were the slam dunk to make us true contenders, I'd do it.  but I have too many questions about Carter's, er..., intangibles, to trade 8 years of youth, and too many questions about tmac's injuries.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2008, 02:20:10 PM »
So TGP wouldn't over pay Iguodala

but he would take on an over paid aging Vince Carter or an over paid aging Tracy McGrady with a declining back?

Carter and Mcgrady are signed to frightfully big contracts that they aren't really worth either, i'll talk the healthier younger guy who still has some upside left over the 'downslope guys' any day

I'll take the younger, healthier guys as well but Iguodala isn't that great of a player. He's a nice ROLE player and that's it. He's not an All-Star, he's not a primary scoring option on a contender, and he's not worth max level money.

Also, I really don't have any desire to obtain Vince Carter so don't put me down on that bandwagon. I do have some interest in McGrady because he has only 2 years left on his deal but I would certainly explore a number of other, more financially responsible deals first.

jemagee

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2008, 02:24:49 PM »
All things being equal (in terms of salary) you stated/intimated that you'd rather have mcgrady or carter.

Assuming that the sixers have to max pay SOMEONE you listed your order of preference with Iguodala 3rd behind mcgrady carter (which ever order)

Personally, I'd rather the sixers max out the guy with some upside than two downslope guys, but what you said, and what you wrote is that you'd rather over pay carter or mcgrady than over pay iguodala, which i find baffling, if the sixers HAVE to over pay someone

Offline The Poster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2008, 02:51:47 PM »
If Iggy is truly being shopped, it will tell us two things...

1. How much he is thought of around the NBA, because of what they will give up in a sign and trade

2. What kind of a long term contract he is worth.

So far the rumors would suggest a pair of hurt aging superstars...

and the returns suggest a salary in the 12+ million dollar range...
Evans 4+mil
Iggy ? mil
for
Carter 14 mil
Boone and Williams 2.5-3 mil

I dont think Iggy is going to get 12+ million in a sign and trade...so in the end I think he will sign here for 10+ million. w/ 8% increases for 4-5 years.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2008, 03:02:32 PM »
All things being equal (in terms of salary) you stated/intimated that you'd rather have mcgrady or carter.

Assuming that the sixers have to max pay SOMEONE you listed your order of preference with Iguodala 3rd behind mcgrady carter (which ever order)

Personally, I'd rather the sixers max out the guy with some upside than two downslope guys, but what you said, and what you wrote is that you'd rather over pay carter or mcgrady than over pay iguodala, which i find baffling, if the sixers HAVE to over pay someone

I would definitely rather have McGrady at 2 years/$43MIL than Iguodala for 5 years/$75MIL. That's not even a question to me for so many reasons. Vince Carter does have a hideous contract and so I would rather have Iguodala over him but that isn't a slam dunk. I think Iguodala isn't even CLOSE to being worth that kind of money... NOT. EVEN. CLOSE.

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2008, 03:04:44 PM »

I dont think Iggy is going to get 12+ million in a sign and trade...so in the end I think he will sign here for 10+ million. w/ 8% increases for 4-5 years.

Also, Larry Coon, who is a CBA expert, said that Iguodala would be base-year if he signed for more than his 8.4 million caphold.

That would make these trades difficult to impossible.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2008, 03:20:30 PM »
I think there's a real good chance we could see Iguodala and some of the other RFAs take the one year tender.

Offline pointguard86

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2008, 03:44:59 PM »
i guess Ed is just looking at his options.  however why would he be looking at VC with a killer contract for 4 more and yet he's not willing to pony up for Andre.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2008, 03:59:25 PM »
i guess Ed is just looking at his options.  however why would he be looking at VC with a killer contract for 4 more and yet he's not willing to pony up for Andre.

Because you're going by what one person who hasn't said anything that turned out to have any real substance said.  According to Larry Coon, Ed couldn't use Iguodala to get VC even if he wanted to.