Author Topic: Sixers get Brand... Now What?  (Read 28082 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Sixers get Brand... Now What?
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2008, 11:05:12 PM »
DBods: I'm sorry, but telling me to look at all of Redd's career than not at all of RIP's career is just a classic case of stat twisting

stat twisting is only done when stats are pulled that are no longer relevant.  Michael Redd's last 3 years (39.5%, 38.2%, 36.2% are better than his first 2 years as a full time starter (35.0% and 35.5%).  His 3 pt shooting has not declined, so the stats can't be twisted.

I explained why career stats on a player who has improved recently aren't a valid interpretation.  That doesn't mean all career stats are irrelevant.

Stats are all about interpreting them correctly and projecting them ahead.

Offline Mozy-76er Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2008, 11:06:52 PM »
I have not given up the fact that some of our own guys could develop good 3 pt shots.  Lou, Thad, and Jason Smith are all real young and good develop sweet outside strokes - they have decent shots.  We need to be patient.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2008, 11:06:56 PM »
TGP: You've been saying we need 3 point shooters, then naming those guys.  I don't think it's unfair to make the leap that you want those guys because they are 3 point shooters.  But if they're not great 3 point shooters, why do you want them?  That's a serious question.

Maybe I misled you along the way... I wasn't naming those guys for just the longball. A 3 point shooter is nice to have but all I said is that those are 3 names of shooters I would consider if we did look to trade Iguodala. I did NOT say... "we need 3 pointers give me Hamilton, Gordon, and Redd". If that were the case, I would want any number of the scrubs that do nothing but shoot 3 pointers (see: Kopono). I named those guys because those are SGs that are scorers who can also hit the longball better than Iguodala right now (a key factor).

It's probably my fault but seriously... I lost you along the way because you started going off about the 3 ball which is something that would be nice but what I would like is someone who can take advantage of the open looks that will come from Brand being double-teamed. Those looks won't always be 23 feet but sometimes 18 feet and right now (a key factor), I don't have faith in Iguodala hitting those looks.

That said, it's EXTREMELY possible Iguodala has been working on his shot this summer and if that's the case, the other aspects of his game dominate all of those other players and I want Iguodala.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 11:09:25 PM by TheGuiltyParty »

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2008, 11:09:09 PM »
So is it a valid interpretation that because Redd's last 3 years have shown a steady decline back to where he was originally as a starter that they can be interpreted to say he's just a 36% shooter?  I think that's a very valid interpretation, and you may disagree.

Really, many stats can be made to say anything and argued for.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2008, 11:14:45 PM »
Not to be rude, but maybe its reached agree to not agree stage. 

I really don't see the need to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of Redd on a night that may represent the turning point of the post AI era- but thats just me.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2008, 11:17:37 PM »
So is it a valid interpretation that because Redd's last 3 years have shown a steady decline back to where he was originally as a starter that they can be interpreted to say he's just a 36% shooter?

His last 3 year's he's shot 38% (410/1078).  2 of those 3 years have been over 38%.

We're just going to have to disagree on whether Redd's a great 3 pt shooter. 

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2008, 11:19:31 PM »
Not to be rude, but maybe its reached agree to not agree stage. 

I really don't see the need to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of Redd on a night that may represent the turning point of the post AI era- but thats just me.

Hey man... don't worry... we're all going to hold hands around the campfire later on and sing Kumbaya. I know what you like...

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2008, 11:43:29 PM »

Hey man... don't worry... we're all going to hold hands around the campfire later on and sing Kumbaya. I know what you like...

...and its certainly not that- or at least not with you guys.  I have higher standards of whom I let in my Kumbaya circle... 8)

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2008, 08:18:42 AM »
Can I be in? I'll bring donuts for the group

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2008, 10:47:08 AM »

jemagee

« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2008, 10:52:46 AM »
They would still have Hughes and Sefolosha.  The only way it makes sense is if somebody manages to steal Deng.  But I really don't see that happening.  So please, while I enjoy telling you that the stats show you're wrong, cool it with the "get RIP or Redd because they're great 3 point shooters" please.  It's factually inaccurate.

Wait... did I say they are great 3 point shooters? You're a fun guy to chat with... 19 right??

I thought lawyer who thinks all doctors who should be sued?

jemagee

« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2008, 10:54:02 AM »
I have not given up the fact that some of our own guys could develop good 3 pt shots.  Lou, Thad, and Jason Smith are all real young and good develop sweet outside strokes - they have decent shots.  We need to be patient.

Problem is that two of those guys are bench guys, 15-20 MPG max, you need to have more offensive spacing in your starting line up - the fact that the starting PG has as much 3 point range as i do is not good

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2008, 11:02:34 AM »
I understand that sign and trade opportunities should be explored with Iguodala, but there are really only a hand full of names out there that would entice me.  Iguodala is a MAJOR player in our fast break attack, he's our best perimeter defender, and a great passer.  Listening to 610, people are ready to give him up for anyone who can shoot the 3.  It amazes me how many people disregard Iguodala's versatility and think his contributions can be replaced by someone who can simply shoot better... 

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2008, 11:08:24 AM »
The day after my now what list looks like this:

1.  Get Elton's signature on a contract.
2.  Re-sign Iggy and Lou.
3.  Fill out team with a fringe vet as the third PG, pick up one cheap veteran off the bench shooter, sprinkle in some low end minimum FA's and rookie FA's, maybe flip a bad contract role player for a more appropriate bad contract role player.

Hopefully, pretty routine and/or already in the works.  Now comes the hard part:

4.  Determine the long-term answer at PG.  We can easily add some better shooters next year and expect at least some mid-range shooting improvement from our current players, but deciding what will happen with Miller and how to replace him if needed becomes the biggest issue on  my "now what" list going forward.

jemagee

« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2008, 11:08:45 AM »
Seriously, you were listening to 610, why does anything they say surprise you?