Author Topic: Sixers get Brand... Now What?  (Read 27798 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: Sixers get Brand... Now What?
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2008, 11:24:05 AM »
I understand that sign and trade opportunities should be explored with Iguodala, but there are really only a hand full of names out there that would entice me.  Iguodala is a MAJOR player in our fast break attack, he's our best perimeter defender, and a great passer.  Listening to 610, people are ready to give him up for anyone who can shoot the 3.  It amazes me how many people disregard Iguodala's versatility and think his contributions can be replaced by someone who can simply shoot better... 

I think a lot of Iggy's popular disfavor, aside from the Philadelphia hobby of chasing off good players, is an Iverson hang-over.  After Iverson left Iggy became a much better player than I hoped for, but for a lot of people he was supposed to be the new franchise guy and put the team on his back like Iverson did scoring wise.  Scoring buckets of points is an easy thing for a casual fan to appreciate, watching a guy play great fundamental defense (watch Iggy close out on a shooter always using his off hand some time), rebound and pass extremely well from a swing position requires a little more in-depth basketball knowledge that most of those callers lack or are too freaking lazy to exercise.  This board has become a real refuge for actual, sensible basketball talk, as the other boards have been hijacked by the 610-like crowds and pissed off Phillies fans.

Offline shadowTerp

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2008, 11:28:28 AM »
I think a lot of Iggy's popular disfavor, aside from the Philadelphia hobby of chasing off good players, is an Iverson hang-over...

Interesting.  I think it's more related to rejecting the 5/$57 deal last off-season.  I never heard anything but compliments about him until then.

jemagee

« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2008, 11:31:13 AM »
I think a lot of Iggy's popular disfavor, aside from the Philadelphia hobby of chasing off good players, is an Iverson hang-over...

Interesting.  I think it's more related to rejecting the 5/$57 deal last off-season.  I never heard anything but compliments about him until then.

I don't think it's that (though philadelphia fans do tend to turn on players quicker based on the salary they make, witness ryan howard this year)...i think it's the playoff performance...plain and simple, the average sports fan has the memory span of a puppy in my opinion...he wasn't good in the playoffs so he's not worth much money...

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2008, 11:38:37 AM »
I understand that sign and trade opportunities should be explored with Iguodala, but there are really only a hand full of names out there that would entice me.  Iguodala is a MAJOR player in our fast break attack, he's our best perimeter defender, and a great passer.  Listening to 610, people are ready to give him up for anyone who can shoot the 3.  It amazes me how many people disregard Iguodala's versatility and think his contributions can be replaced by someone who can simply shoot better... 

I think a lot of Iggy's popular disfavor, aside from the Philadelphia hobby of chasing off good players, is an Iverson hang-over.  After Iverson left Iggy became a much better player than I hoped for, but for a lot of people he was supposed to be the new franchise guy and put the team on his back like Iverson did scoring wise.  Scoring buckets of points is an easy thing for a casual fan to appreciate, watching a guy play great fundamental defense (watch Iggy close out on a shooter always using his off hand some time), rebound and pass extremely well from a swing position requires a little more in-depth basketball knowledge that most of those callers lack or are too freaking lazy to exercise.  This board has become a real refuge for actual, sensible basketball talk, as the other boards have been hijacked by the 610-like crowds and pissed off Phillies fans.

Exactly, its as if being a 24+ppg scorer is a benchmark for fan approval.  If we were to ship Iguodala out of town for a shooter, then who is the guy to defend the opposing team's best wing defender?  We would just create another hole that the casual fan is oblivious to.  

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2008, 11:47:20 AM »
I don't think Iguodala's really fallen out of favor.  I do worry about overpaying him, but that's not a "lets turn on the guy for making too much money" thing, but a "his contract could be 1/5th of the salary cap, we better be damned sure" thing.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 11:54:55 AM by Derek Bodner »

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2008, 11:54:11 AM »
610 just said the press conference will be at 5pm

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2008, 11:55:02 AM »
Nice. Anymore mention of the Evans/Carroll thing on 610 or 950?

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2008, 12:05:39 PM »

Has there been mention of that?  If so, please elaborate. 

Offline shadowTerp

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2008, 12:37:35 PM »

Has there been mention of that?  If so, please elaborate. 

On the other board, there's talk of trading Evans for Carroll.  Carroll is in year 2 of a 6/$27 deal... so it adds two additional years of contract (when compared to Evans).

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 12:44:22 PM by shadowTerp »

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2008, 12:38:50 PM »
I'm pretty sure TGP heard it originally but I can't find that post now..TGP......WHERE YOU IS?

jemagee

« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2008, 12:47:14 PM »
It was a rumor on WIP this morning I believe...i'm willing to bet they made it up

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2008, 01:00:36 PM »
It was a rumor on WIP this morning I believe...i'm willing to bet they made it up

Nope, probably started by a caller named Killy Bing.

I don't think Iguodala's really fallen out of favor.  I do worry about overpaying him, but that's not a "lets turn on the guy for making too much money" thing, but a "his contract could be 1/5th of the salary cap, we better be damned sure" thing.

I appreciate that as well.  I think the Brand and Maggette deals are favorable for a reasonable signing of Iggy.  The only RFA's with a real chance of getting overpaid on the open market are the guys being pursued by the Clips, Smith and Okafor, both bigs.  There is no open market for Iggy any more, nor for his most comparable player in Deng.  Assuming GS and Chicago don't go nuts for Deng, Gordon, Biedrins and/or Ellis,  I think the RFA market will set appropriately.  I also think that Iggy and Biedrins are probably the surest bets among the RFA's.  Okafor really isn't all that good IMO and has already peaked, Ellis and Gordon are undersized SG's and Deng has some injury concerns.  Smith has the most upside, but may never get there.  Iggy and Biedrins have no injury history and do a lot of things well beside scoring.  Both are young enough to still have some upside and adding some shooting skills to each is much easier than teaching someone to be a good passer, defender or rebounder.

Offline shadowTerp

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2008, 01:18:55 PM »

Probably. 

Too bad it's not real though.  In looking at the numbers, it wouldn't be a bad trade: Carroll's contract is setup to get cheaper as it goes, so it'd free up some additional cap room next year for us as well.  We're already not going to be in the 2010 free agent race, so...

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2008, 01:21:43 PM »
24 year old "sure things" get max deals staring at 13M.  Good ones with upside 9Smith, Iguodkla) get contracts starting at 8.5-11M.  Ones with less upsuide or who have yet to play at a high level get contracts starting 5-8M (which makes me worry what Lou will command- fortunately there are seriousquestions as to whether he can ever be a good NBA starter.).

I hope Iguodala signs a deal starting at under 10M (5yr/60M), but if it ends up being a tad higher I'm fine with it.  He may not end up the perfect fit here, but I don't think a contract in that range would preclude moving him.  He would be getting sever M less than a guy like RJ, who I consider a similar talent.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2008, 01:25:09 PM »
I have no idea where that rumor started but that trade was being talked about by both Gargano on 610 and Jody Mac on 950. It was probably a caller who called both stations with the same idea. You know how these fans are with their silly fantasy trades... so stupid!!

Iguodala for Redd, anyone?? What about Willie Green for Jerome James?? :-)