Author Topic: ESPN Chat Stuff  (Read 50819 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: ESPN Chat Stuff
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2008, 10:36:16 AM »
If we are stuck with Green its not the worst thing in the world.  He may be a bit redundant with Lou on the roster (but can guard SG's much better than Lou) but he is a decent bench guard to have for 3M.

Since no one else wants him, I'm happy to see him as the teams 8th man- especially if he can can start to provide some emergency minutes at PG (which he did show he can play 2 years ago before being mistcast as a starting SG.)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2008, 10:42:18 AM »
Obtaining shawn marion and forcing louis williams to elevate his game to here to fore plateaus unknown ain't tinkering, tinkering is trading willie green for a guy off the bench who shoots the 3 better than the rest of the team :)

Like I said yesterday, when the sixers get brand, the next step is what's next, and that's how i feel the GM should be thinking as well...enjoy the moment, moments over, do the next thing, cause this team ain't done yet.

I agree... but Ed's hands are tied until we sign Igoudala and Williams... which is what he should be concentrating on (and noting to Iggy how Brand took roughly 10% less to sign with Philly instead of Golden State). 

Do you think we traded Carney away because there was a market for Green?  I guarantee you that if Minnesota was willing to take the UTH 1st + Green (without sending us a 2nd round back) that we would have gladly done that instead.  Ed's a good GM, but he's not a miracle worker.  We're stuck with Green unless he's part of a Miller deal. 

Green or Evans can be traded, but you have to take back an equally long contract in return.  No one wanted to take on these role players whose contracts go three more years when the 2010 FA class is all the rage.  We were trying to trade them for cap space and it didn't happen.  We could probably flip them for other role players with 3 or more years on a contract, e.g. Reggie Evans the rebounder for Matt Carroll the shooter.  so we may be able to move the players, but we are probably stuck with the equivalent contracts or worse. 

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2008, 10:42:20 AM »
I'm alright Green at this point now that Carney is gone. The logjam has been cleared up a little bit although Carney was able to play the 2 and 3 whereas Green is just a 2. I fully expect Willie to see less minutes this year although when he is on... it can be a good thing.

jemagee

« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2008, 10:47:20 AM »
Yes, I'm aware that the sixers are stuck with green, i have been since the day they signed him to that ridiculous contract (Salmons was the better of the two to keep) before his knee injury, moreso AFTER the knee injury (was it his knee)?  I was joking about willie green...though if there's an equally bad contract out there with a guy who can shoot the three a bit (and not do much else) it might be feasible with a little enticement (say a high second round pick from the team run by the worst gm in the league?)

I don't think ed's hands are 'tied' by Iguodala and Williams.  The first immediate priority was Brand or Smith, and now move on to the next step and decide what to do....it's a process, one thing after another and I think now he moves on to iguodala and williams (williams i think gets done faster)

jemagee

« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2008, 10:48:33 AM »
Willie Green is flat out terrible folks, he's a gunner who shoots a crap percentage AND doesn't draw fouls....if there's a MINUTE he's on the floor that louis williams isn't, barring an injury, it's a mistake...period...that's been my theory since the first 20 games of last season and nothing i've seen or read or seen changed in the roster has changed my mind.

Willie Green is what they refer to in baseball as fungible....the fact that he has a long term deal is asinine

Offline shadowTerp

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2008, 10:58:19 AM »
I don't think ed's hands are 'tied' by Iguodala and Williams.  The first immediate priority was Brand or Smith, and now move on to the next step and decide what to do....it's a process, one thing after another and I think now he moves on to iguodala and williams (williams i think gets done faster).

You're right... 'tied' is probably too strong.  And Green could be traded for an equally bad (or worse) contract.  I also think Lou's contract gets done faster (hopefully in the Willie Green range for 3-4 years... I'm hoping no team gets silly and throws an MLE at him).

jemagee

« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
Dave (Orlando): Is Redick done in Orlando?

David Thorpe: (12:18 PM ET ) Yes.

Can't he shoot?

Offline shadowTerp

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2008, 11:23:14 AM »
Dave (Orlando): Is Redick done in Orlando?

David Thorpe: (12:18 PM ET ) Yes.

Can't he shoot?

He could in college... but I have questions as to whether he can get a shot off in the pros.  And he makes Korver's defense look good.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 11:29:15 AM by shadowTerp »

jemagee

« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2008, 11:30:08 AM »
How can you question whether he can get a shot off in the pros?  He's been more buried on the bench than sam dalembert his first year in the league

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2008, 12:08:13 PM »
How can you question whether he can get a shot off in the pros?  He's been more buried on the bench than sam dalembert his first year in the league

It's a question that's been around since the 2006 draft.  It's not something that is a new found question fueled by his lack of PT.

jemagee

« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2008, 12:12:11 PM »
Well, I think he might be worth the risk off the bench, and thorpe said the magic could use a PF who can help on the boards and play some defense...anyone ugly on the sixers fit that bill?

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2008, 12:13:19 PM »
We'd have to work that trade a bit...what else do they have?

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2008, 12:15:04 PM »
I'm not a fan of Redick's but if he could be had for dirt cheap, I would be interested.

jemagee

« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2008, 12:15:10 PM »
I personally would have no problem doing it straight up, evans contract stinks and so does he

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2008, 12:17:52 PM »
Yeah but now that we're not under the cap anymore don't we have to match? What about bogans too?