Author Topic: ESPN Chat Stuff  (Read 50513 times)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: ESPN Chat Stuff
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2008, 12:16:55 PM »
Eh... it might just mean frontloading the deal with a $10MIL signing bonus which is what I suspect will happen.

jemagee

« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2008, 12:18:24 PM »
Eh... it might just mean frontloading the deal with a $10MIL signing bonus which is what I suspect will happen.

it's just silly that that works in my mind...it's a one year expense, charge off, write off, whatever, the contract is still worth what the contract is worth over its life time....to actually screw the hawks over on something they did to the suns would be kind of funny but i still don't get why it works.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2008, 12:25:24 PM »
it's just silly that that works in my mind...it's a one year expense, charge off, write off, whatever, the contract is still worth what the contract is worth over its life time....to actually screw the hawks over on something they did to the suns would be kind of funny but i still don't get why it works.

You're right... it shouldn't work but it has worked twice (Joe Johnson to the Hawks and Andre Miller to the Nuggets). I think it's a bit of a similar situation to your beloved Phillies. I think certain ownership groups set a budget and just aren't prepared to go over that for any reason. That's the only way this signing bonus thing would work and it's why signing bonus' are so rare in the NBA.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2008, 12:26:33 PM »
By the way, Chad Ford could have answered your question. You asked about other options after Smith and he totally blew that off. Aloha my ass!

jemagee

« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2008, 12:49:12 PM »
Yeah, don't get me started on the idiotic phillies organization (why does dallas green have a job still?)

Curios note in the ford chat - nenad krstic anyone?

jemagee

« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2008, 12:50:34 PM »
By the way, Chad Ford could have answered your question. You asked about other options after Smith and he totally blew that off. Aloha my ass!

Technically he did, he doesn't feel the sixers are going to miss on Smith so there is no need for other options :)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2008, 12:53:33 PM »
Yeah, don't get me started on the idiotic phillies organization (why does dallas green have a job still?)

Curios note in the ford chat - nenad krstic anyone?

I've never been a fan but Ed does have a history with him and so I could see him becoming Plan B if Smith slips away.

jemagee

« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2008, 12:59:56 PM »
supposedly only looking for 2-3 years in free agency - ford said 'near all star' before being hurt - but it's ford so i was wondering what others thought

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2008, 01:03:32 PM »
Sorry didn't see it.....how did Krstic come up?

jemagee

« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2008, 01:08:08 PM »
Sorry didn't see it.....how did Krstic come up?

Not for the sixers, for the bucks...someone asked what else the bucks need to do now and he said he could see the bucks doing a S&T for krstic who was near all star levels before being hurt and is only looking for 2-3 years...the nets have a big man log jam and again, another guy stefanski should know well, plus, you know, a euro on the sixers :)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2008, 01:14:50 PM »
Chad Ford did mention that he hears that the Sixers are supposedly interested in Zach Randolph but he did add that's he not buying into that.

jemagee

« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2008, 01:18:40 PM »
Chad Ford did mention that he hears that the Sixers are supposedly interested in Zach Randolph but he did add that's he not buying into that.

Every time i read even an inkling of that idea, i vomit in my mouth a little

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2008, 01:29:51 PM »
What's not to love about Z-Bo and 3 years/$50+MIL???

jemagee

« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2008, 11:21:56 AM »
John Hollinger - the 'bill james' of basketball (but not really) at 3 PM Eastern

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=21378

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2008, 03:22:59 PM »
Q: If the 76ers clear $15 million in cap space and FAIL to sign Elton Brand, will they throw the kitchen sink at PF Josh Smith and do the Hawks have the stones to match an offer starting at $15 million per year?
A: Yes, that's the plan, and kudos to Sixers GM Ed Stefanski -- I had thought he'd need to trade Andre Miller to create enough space, but he found a different path that worked. I suspect the Hawks would still match Smith, but obviously it's a different equation at $15 mil than it is at $12 mil. And one other thing -- if the Hawks match Smith, Stefanski can go after both Maggette AND Childress with his cap war chest if he so chooses.

Q: Is Elton Brand really considering signing up with the sixers? I mean, REALLY? I understand the point about heading out East. But even with the West being stacked, I'm still not seeing anyone getting past Boston/Detroit in the next 2 years except maybe Orlando or an out-of-this-world-Lebron and scrubs. Isn't he better off rolling with Baron and hoping Gordon becomes a stud?
A: No, the Sixers have far more potential than the Clips or Warriors -- loaded with young talent like Thaddeus Young, Louis Williams and Andre Iguodala, plus a couple solid starters with Dalembert and Andre Miller. I actually think adding Brand makes them really, really dangerous.

Q: Your gut feeling, Brand will be a part of the Sixers or Clippers tommrow?
A: Sixers. I don't think they'd be dealing away Carney unless they saw some smoke signals coming from Brand's tepee. But that's just me speculating.

Q: Hypothetically, do you envision Philly making any more changes if they succeed in locking up Brand?
A: Yes, they need to get a shooter somehow, but that may be easier to come by if they're established themselves as a potential contender.

Q: Wouldn't it make sense for philly to try and trade AI2 and a first rounder or two for Ellis. He seems like the more ideal fit at the 2 if they get Brand?
A: Sixers already have a carbon copy in Louis Williams. He's not as good as Ellis, but he does exactly the same things.

Notable parts from the chat.