Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 253452 times)

jemagee

Re: Tracking Free Agency
« Reply #825 on: July 30, 2008, 01:32:53 PM »
I'm curious to see if Ellis is really going to be tried at PG, or if that is just a lot of talk.

Isn't marcus williams the only other option on their roster right now?

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #826 on: July 30, 2008, 01:40:24 PM »
I'm curious to see if Ellis is really going to be tried at PG, or if that is just a lot of talk.

-Q: So Monta is definitely your point guard?

-NELSON: "Monta's at the point. I'd like to carry three point guards, so we're looking around for a back-up point."

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2008/07/09/don-nelson-on-maggette-turiaf-monta-at-the-point-a-good-bye-cigar-with-baron/
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 03:43:14 PM by Sub »

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: July 30, 2008, 01:41:42 PM »

-NELSON: "Monta?s at the point? I?d like to carry three point guards, so we?re looking around for a back-up point."

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2008/07/09/don-nelson-on-maggette-turiaf-monta-at-the-point-a-good-bye-cigar-with-baron/

Answer the Question!

Apparently we can't handle the truth.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #828 on: July 30, 2008, 01:43:27 PM »

-NELSON: "Monta?s at the point? I?d like to carry three point guards, so we?re looking around for a back-up point."

Answer the Question!

Apparently we can't handle the truth.

Waiting for Marbury to get cut loose?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: July 30, 2008, 08:03:42 PM »
I guess per CSN Iguodala is asking for 6yr/75M.

DBodner broke it down to a starting salary of 10.1M.  Even though 75M sounds a bit high, its mostly because that 6th season is a big jump after all the yearsly raises. 

Iguodala getting 10.1M this season would not be way out of line for what good (but not superstar) SG and SF make in this league.  It would make him the 3rd highest salary on the team (0.4M less than Sam and 0.1M more than Miller.)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 08:19:05 PM by tk76- »

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #830 on: July 30, 2008, 08:15:10 PM »
6 years 75 million huh.... I know he won't get anything less than what Deng got.  I guess that's fair. 

jemagee

« Reply #831 on: July 30, 2008, 08:23:41 PM »
6 years 75 million huh.... I know he won't get anything less than what Deng got.  I guess that's fair. 

he'll make less than sam next year...hence in relation - he's under paid :)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: July 30, 2008, 08:26:06 PM »

he'll make less than sam next year...hence in relation - he's under paid :)

But he's no Hattian Sensation,  Slam-dunker, Shot Blocker, Aquamayne, Sammy DEEEEE.

Fortunately he is not.

jemagee

« Reply #833 on: July 30, 2008, 08:31:33 PM »
don't forget his skills with computer repair

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #834 on: July 30, 2008, 08:39:37 PM »
If Iguodala is ASKING for 6 years/$75MIL then we're in good shape. If that's the worse case scenario for his contract, our cap/tax situation will be fine going forward. As said before, I hope that this deal is frontloaded.

jemagee

« Reply #835 on: July 30, 2008, 08:41:17 PM »
Can it be frontloaded and leave the sixers under the luxury tax though?  How close are they?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #836 on: July 30, 2008, 09:09:46 PM »
Can it be frontloaded and leave the sixers under the luxury tax though?  How close are they?

By my calculations before signing Iggy and Lou they are at approximately $50 million in actual salaries (i.e. not counting cap holds) for the upcoming season.  The tax will kick in around $71.5 million year.  Most of the rest of the guys on the team have increasing salaries for the next several years, so they have planety of room to front load the contracts of their two FA's to balance out future increases to high salary guys like Sammy and Brand.  Without even front-loading the contracts they could simply pay them evenly each year and it would give them some future tax and cap breathing room.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #837 on: July 30, 2008, 09:59:13 PM »
If Williams does sign for what dabods has posted... 3 years for around $15MIL, I'm not that worried about front loading him since the increases in such a deal would be relatively small. Let's say Williams gets $5MIL this upcoming season with normal increases, that should leave us with around $16MIL in space for Iguodala which should be plenty to frontload his contract.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: July 30, 2008, 10:18:08 PM »
I could be wrong, but I don't think they can frontload past the max (13M) for a four year vet.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #839 on: July 30, 2008, 10:25:09 PM »
For a pure signing bonus they could, but that would simply get pro-rated for cap and tax purposes.  The only reason to do that would be to ease cash-floe in future years (or when signing a RFA to an offer sheet, to screw the other team's cash flow the first year).  For sal cap and tax purposes I believe you are right that they can't exceed the max for his years of service.  Anything above that would either be considered a signing bonus or not allowed.