Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 250572 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: Tracking Free Agency
« Reply #795 on: July 27, 2008, 01:02:14 PM »
The Hawks are also supposed to be close to signing Maurice Evans to a three year deal, of course, he was supposed to be close to signing a deal with GS last week, but the deal was never finalized.

jemagee

« Reply #796 on: July 28, 2008, 08:52:43 AM »
God the knicks are reporedtly getting REAL Cheap

Reported they will trade balkman for taurean green and bobby jones, and then waive them.

Saving a total of 1.32 million in salaries next season

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #797 on: July 28, 2008, 09:02:02 AM »
God the knicks are reporedtly getting REAL Cheap

Reported they will trade balkman for taurean green and bobby jones, and then waive them.

Saving a total of 1.32 million in salaries next season

It's a recession for everyone I guess.  Plus they save $2.64 million since they are in luxury tax territory. 

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #798 on: July 28, 2008, 10:34:35 AM »
That's interesting. Obviously Walsh and D'Antoni weren't fans of Balkman's and so they aren't even looking to keep the kid around for training camp. If they are pulling moves like this for financial reasons than it shouldn't be long before we hear that Marbury has been bought out.

It seems like their plan is to ditch any and all salary and hit the lottery the next 2 years. Hmmm, in a way... they are almost worse than an expansion franchise. I do find it funny that the Sixers and Celtics both went from being at the bottom of league to rebuilding quickly while the Knicks are just stuck at the bottom.

jemagee

« Reply #799 on: July 28, 2008, 10:40:49 AM »
It seems like their plan is to ditch any and all salary and hit the lottery the next 2 years.

This isn't news...it's been widely reported since the walsh hiring that the plan was to try and get lebron (or wade)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #800 on: July 28, 2008, 01:08:35 PM »
It isn't news but it is a bit shocking to see them dump a young player with such a small salary purely for financial purposes. If this move were the move that got them under the tax, then it would make sense although it is a bit early for that sort of thing. The Knicks are still about $20MIL over the tax so this just seems odd.

Chad Ford has written a column updating the status of the free agents. Of interest, Ford writes that Iguodala might get less than the 5 year/$57MIL he was offered last summer, that Gordon might be better off seeking a deal similar to Childress' in Europe, and that Lou Williams might take the QO and become a UFA next year.

Dabods has reported that Williams is close to signing so I'm not worried about that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=FreeAgents-080629

jemagee

« Reply #801 on: July 28, 2008, 01:23:39 PM »
If Iguodala can't get the 57 million they offered last year, I wouldn't blame him for taking the euro route other...he had the best season of his career (it's a long season it's just not six games) and if the sixers don't increase their offer one iota, i'd be insulted as a player...they said go out and prove you are worth more, and to me, he did.

I understand that having no competition is to the sixers benefit and iguodala is in a crap negotating position, but still, if the sixers don't budge a bit over last years offer after his past season, i wouldn't be surprised to see him somewhere else or playing for the one eyar tender

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #802 on: July 28, 2008, 01:33:22 PM »
and that Lou Williams might take the QO and become a UFA next year.

Key distinction:
He said that Williams might be better off accepting the QO, not that he had any information that he was considering it.

7. Louis Williams, Sixers: Williams is trapped in the same scenario as Iguodala. He draws a lot of interest around the league, but he can't find a team with cap room to make him an offer. He, too, may be better off taking the one-year tender.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: July 28, 2008, 01:33:56 PM »
The problem with that logic is that the team is under new management- so Ed is not bound by BK's valuations.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: July 28, 2008, 01:34:50 PM »
Any news about when Lou's new contract will become official?

jemagee

« Reply #805 on: July 28, 2008, 01:38:00 PM »
The problem with that logic is that the team is under new management- so Ed is not bound by BK's valuations.

And that was before Monta Ellis got an (on average) 11 mil per year deal.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #806 on: July 28, 2008, 01:40:03 PM »
Any news about when Lou's new contract will become official?

Haven't heard anything new.  It's not necessarily a done deal, but they're close

jemagee

« Reply #807 on: July 28, 2008, 08:33:27 PM »
Funny read from hardwood paroxysm :)

July 24th, 2007: A report surfaces in the New York Post about an FBI investigation into gambling by NBA officials.

July 27th, 2007: Tim Donaghy turn himself into authorities on several felony counts.

July 31st, 2007: Kevin Garnett is finally traded to the Boston Celtics in exchange for Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes, and a box of cupcake mix. The colossal trade to a major market and the winningest franchise in the NBA overshadows the Tim Donaghy scandal to a large degree and gives the league something positive to focus on. Within a month, new advertising for the league featuring the Garnett trade is released.

Skip to:

Tomorrow, July 28th, 2008: Tim Donaghy is scheduled for sentencing, providing a final black eye for the league.

Today, July 27th, 2008: The NBA releases their usual Daily Email, promoting news, events, and hyping different events. Typically the email contains information on verifiable events, such as game results, verified trades, or other publically known news. The headline almost never refers to a trade rumor. Today's headline:

Intrigue Surrounds Smith As Teams Line Up For The Exciting Swingman

What's the best way to gloss over an event that brings negative publicity and skepticism to your product? An exciting release everyone can talk about that distracts from the problem. What's the biggest free agent in question right now? Josh Smith.

It'll probably turn out to be nothing. We expect the Hawks management to come together for the thirty seconds they can stand to be in the same room together and get Smith a deal.

But...

I'm just sayin'. Two years in a row, the league's biggest scandal is overshadowed by a major trade that the league actually heightens anticipation for?

Keep your ears to the ground, kiddos.

By the way, if another report comes out about Foster or Bavetta?

Rockets fans better get ready to trade in those McGrady jerseys.

And this on elton brand talking about moving east for his first kid

Look, I'm just saying. As a married man, I can recognize a guy getting his junk yanked by his wife when I see it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 08:36:43 PM by jemagee »

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #808 on: July 28, 2008, 08:46:44 PM »
Kwame to the Pistons. I think 2 years, 8 million, may be wrong.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3508699&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

Ricky Davis to the Clips.

Nened Krstic likely to Russia.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #809 on: July 28, 2008, 08:52:20 PM »
Ricky Davis and the Clippers are perfect together. Now the intelligence on the court can match the intelligence off of the court.