Author Topic: Iverson to Denver trade looks to have taken place  (Read 7452 times)

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: Iverson to Denver trade looks to have taken place
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2006, 10:43:44 AM »

It will be interesting to see AI, Melo & JR sharing the ball.  Which of these guys are going to give up shot attempts and be happy about it?  Has the #1 & #2 scoring leaders ever co-existed on the same team?

Yes, they have - and in Denver, no less.  Alex English and Kiki Vandeweghe in 1983.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2006, 10:46:14 AM »
  Denver gets rid of Miller and his contract (which I'm sure will make Karl very happy)

Don't bet on it.  I'm quite certain that Karl is going to be pining the loss of Miller for quite some time.  Karl over-values Miller - and for a reason - team chemistry.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2006, 10:51:10 AM »
I'm not sure what the other pick they had.  But I don't see two picks in the 25 range.

I'll give ya a hint.

It's one of the three teams you said could be penciled in for picks 28, 29 or 30.

Yeah...I just found it elsewhere.  The Mavs pick....so the Sixers are hoping Dirk gets a bad case of the jitters?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2006, 11:04:01 AM »
Another little side note....

Iverson just goes from being leading the Eastern guards in all-star votes to being #3 in the west.  All-star starter to relying on the coaches to vote you in.

Good thing his ego isn't as big as Kobe's <------(mandatory Kobe bashing)
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2006, 11:43:42 AM »

Iverson just goes from being leading the Eastern guards in all-star votes to being #3 in the west.  All-star starter to relying on the coaches to vote you in.

Good thing his ego isn't as big as Kobe's <------(mandatory Kobe bashing)

I was just thinking about the whole all-star situation last night.  Funny you mention it today.  That pushes someone off the list that would (and should of) made it.  Then again, it is still kind of early.  If they finish January off strong with Melo gone for a bit then I think it would warrant an apperance as a WC all star.  If he isn't player all-star ball it sucks that he is going to be voted in.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2006, 11:47:03 AM »

I was just thinking about the whole all-star situation last night.  Funny you mention it today.  That pushes someone off the list that would (and should of) made it.  Then again, it is still kind of early.  If they finish January off strong with Melo gone for a bit then I think it would warrant an apperance as a WC all star.  If he isn't player all-star ball it sucks that he is going to be voted in.

But on the other hand it moves a guard in the east up to all-star starter...
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2006, 11:50:56 AM »

But on the other hand it moves a guard in the east up to all-star starter...

Hopefully its a guard from the 4 good teams out there...
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2006, 12:02:48 PM »
But if we hadn't gotten Andre Miller, there's no chance we wouldn't have had one of the two worst records.

They need to turn around and trade Andre Miller immediately.  If he helps us win 5 more games, and we get the 4th or 5th worst record, this trade will be a colossal failure.
While I shudder to give Billy King any credit whatsoever, could there be a Method to His Maddness in benching A.I.?  Losing streak and falling further *down*?
Yeah trade Miller and just completely crap can this season for the Greg Oden sweepstakes or Noah Florida guy.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2006, 12:10:20 PM »
Wonder how long he will enjoy all that Denver has to offer.....

Why do you always have to be such an arse!  Can't you keep Kobe out of any thread you post in!!!!!!

Please, tell me. How? How can I do that? I've tried. Honestly, I've tried, but the lure.....the lure...... 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2006, 12:13:20 PM »
Wonder how long he will enjoy all that Denver has to offer before he starts demanding another trade.

Considering it took him 11 years for it to happen the first time, I'd say quite a while.

Ah, but my point is that he is born and bred an eastcoast guy and Denver is far from hearth and home for him.

And while he has always been a terrific player, he always struck me as being something of a momma's boy who prefers to have a backdrop of familiar faces around him - I mean, more then most of these guys. I suppose he could take all that west with him, but he can't take the town with him.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2006, 12:14:55 PM »
Draft Picks might have been the goal, but it was a faulty goal.  Each draft pick isn't equal, and both of those picks look to be around 25, and have very little to no value.

I agree with you Derek that late first round picks don't usually trun into great players, but I think for Philly it does give them a couple of important assets for future trades.  This is supposed to be best draft since 2003.  If Philly ends up with say the 6th pick, adding one of these 2 picks to the sixth may be enough to move up to #4, maybe #3.

Ziggy, in most drafts, one good player drafted at number one through six is worth ten guys drafted at 25th on.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2006, 12:42:00 PM »
Yeah trade Miller and just completely crap can this season for the Greg Oden sweepstakes or Noah Florida guy.

No, not Noah.  If the Sixers don't get Oden or Durant, it's a failure.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2006, 01:28:41 PM »

No, not Noah.  If the Sixers don't get Oden or Durant, it's a failure.

That's silly Dabods.  You don't really know how good these players will be as pro's.  The NBA is filled with coaches and scouts all very professional and experienced, and still players drop into the second and third round and turn out to be much better than the players taken above them.  You can even argue that Andre Igoudala was a steal going where he did in the draft.  How did Kobe drop so far when he was drafted?  The only ones that don't get missed are the big Centers, but many turn out not to be worthy of the first pick in the draft.

If one of the players the Sixers pick turns out to be as good as Josh Howard or Manu, it would be a good trade.

The choice was simple- continue to try to build around AI or go in a different direction.  We're going in the new direction, how fast we get there depends on the continued development of the players we have and new talent we bring in. 

IMO, the trade gives Denver the top scoring tandem in the NBA, and a well-rested Carmello will be primed and excited to get onto the floor with AI.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2006, 02:27:48 PM »
Draft Picks might have been the goal, but it was a faulty goal.  Each draft pick isn't equal, and both of those picks look to be around 25, and have very little to no value.
Writer was making the point today that Sixers should have waited two or more weeks to make the trade, let both Philly and Denver rack up the losses.

What exactly are the terms of the draft picks?  Do both the picks depend upon where Denver finishes this year?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2006, 02:37:45 PM »
What exactly are the terms of the draft picks?  Do both the picks depend upon where Denver finishes this year?

The 2 picks are Denver & Dallas.  So where they pick depends on the record of Denver & Dallas. 

Denver's pick will probably be in the mid-to-late teens. 

Dallas - top 3 unless Dirk's ankle sprain last niught turns out to be a nagging injury.  Then they could drop as low as top 6.
-Moody Blues