Author Topic: Iverson to Denver trade looks to have taken place  (Read 7450 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Iverson to Denver trade looks to have taken place
« on: December 19, 2006, 04:36:26 PM »
Iverson traded by 76ers to Nuggets

By DAN GELSTON, AP Sports Writer
December 19, 2006

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Allen Iverson was traded by the 76ers to the Denver Nuggets, a person in the NBA with knowledge of the deal told the Associated Press.

The official, speaking on condition of anonymity because the deal was not announced, did not know the terms of the deal.

ESPN.com said the trade would send Andre Miller, Joe Smith and two 2007 first-round picks to the 76ers for Iverson and perhaps another minimum-salaried player or two.

Iverson, inactive for six straight games, was sent home with pay after he asked to be traded nearly two weeks ago. He has nearly $60 million left on his contract.

Only Memphis (5-19) has a worse record than the 76ers (5-18), who are winless since Nov. 24.

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Iverson to Denver trade looks to have taken place
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 04:40:41 PM »
Wow.  Can't believe no other team was willing to give more.
But depending how the draft picks turn out.......

I think Clippers insisting on keeping Livingston was a mistake, and I like him and his game.
As soon as MeGetty went public with his pouty trade demand, Clippers should have worked something quick with Philly.
Oh well, at least Livingston gets to grow in Clipperland now.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 04:52:58 PM »

I think Clippers insisting on keeping Livingston was a mistake, and I like him and his game.
As soon as MeGetty went public with his pouty trade demand, Clippers should have worked something quick with Philly.

The key all along was the TWO draft picks.  Clips couldn't offer that.  Sixers wanted in order:  draft picks, expirings, young talent.  No one except Nuggets had 2 draft picks in the next draft.  Also no one was willing to give up young talent.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 04:57:57 PM »

The key all along was the TWO draft picks.  Clips couldn't offer that.  Sixers wanted in order:  draft picks, expirings, young talent.  No one except Nuggets had 2 draft picks in the next draft.  Also no one was willing to give up young talent.

Exactly.  If you are going to give a player like that up you better get a couple draft picks because you are going into the rebuilding process instantly after the trade goes through.  You cannot remove a franchise player and not be forced into rebuilding the team.

Joe Smith and Andre Miller are good players but I don't see how this is going to benefit the 76ers all that much in this next year.  Andre Miller is still a bit out of shape but at least we get to see some sweet alley oops to Igs now!

Boo @ the trade though I wanted to see AI/KG on the court together.  Funny how AI and Melo are the two ball players  all about 'street cred' .  Let's hope they can exist together.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 05:06:08 PM »
Joe Smith and Andre Miller are good players but I don't see how this is going to benefit the 76ers all that much in this next year.  Andre Miller is still a bit out of shape but at least we get to see some sweet alley oops to Igs now!

Boo @ the trade though I wanted to see AI/KG on the court together.  Funny how AI and Melo are the two ball players  all about 'street cred' .  Let's hope they can exist together.

Smith & Webber can create the slowest rotating front line in the NBA.  Hopefully Miller will step up his numbers (currently #3 in assts) since he resides on my fantasy team.

It will be interesting to see AI, Melo & JR sharing the ball.  Which of these guys are going to give up shot attempts and be happy about it?  Has the #1 & #2 scoring leaders ever co-existed on the same team?

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 05:09:40 PM »

Smith & Webber can create the slowest rotating front line in the NBA.  Hopefully Miller will step up his numbers (currently #3 in assts) since he resides on my fantasy team.

It will be interesting to see AI, Melo & JR sharing the ball.  Which of these guys are going to give up shot attempts and be happy about it?  Has the #1 & #2 scoring leaders ever co-existed on the same team?

I expect we will see a brawl under the Nugget basket the likes of which will make the MSG fiasco look like a Girl Scout Cookie slapfest, only 'Melo and A.I. will be the ones taking it into the stands.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 05:23:38 PM »
This is a HORRIBLE trade for Philly.  Denver gets rid of Miller and his contract (which I'm sure will make Karl very happy) and Philly gets Miller, Smith and 2 future draft picks? 

At least with Foye, you would have a young talented player who might help put fans in the seats -- with Miller, you aren't going to get that.  I'm glad that the Philly owners can stand a huge hit in the pocketbook -- because they have made a huge mess out of this whole situation!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 05:26:13 PM »

The thing is who exactly is going to help Miller step his numbers up?  I mean maybe he will score more but I don't see his assists going up at all.  Not the same amount of weapons on the 76ers as on the Nuggets.

Good question about the #1 and #2.  No one on this team is going to get a shot outside of those two.  Between them both it will be anywhere from 35-70 shots a game.  That is quite a chunk of the offense.  Will the other players be happy just playing defense and rebounding?!  Who defers to who?  Does AI defer to Melo cuz its his team and he's the fresher player?  Or does Melo defer to AI because he is the vet and one of the greatest scorers of all time?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 05:29:35 PM »
This is a HORRIBLE trade for Philly.  Denver gets rid of Miller and his contract (which I'm sure will make Karl very happy) and Philly gets Miller, Smith and 2 future draft picks? 

At least with Foye, you would have a young talented player who might help put fans in the seats -- with Miller, you aren't going to get that.  I'm glad that the Philly owners can stand a huge hit in the pocketbook -- because they have made a huge mess out of this whole situation!

I agree that Foye might have been a better choice but the team that currently employs Foye has to be willing to give him up.  Wade would also put more fans in the seats than Miller.  That doesn't mean that Wade was available any more than Foye was available.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 05:33:11 PM »
The thing is who exactly is going to help Miller step his numbers up?  I mean maybe he will score more but I don't see his assists going up at all.  Not the same amount of weapons on the 76ers as on the Nuggets.

He got his assists mostly from Melo & JR Smith in Denver.  Unless you believe he was feeding Camby & Nene.  In Philly the main obstacle will be the Sixers adjusting to receiving a pass before 20 seconds of the shot clock have expired.  I would also say that he will benefit from the "best player on a bad team" syndrome.
-Moody Blues

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 05:47:10 PM »
Draft Picks might have been the goal, but it was a faulty goal.  Each draft pick isn't equal, and both of those picks look to be around 25, and have very little to no value.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 06:04:32 PM »

He got his assists mostly from Melo & JR Smith in Denver.  Unless you believe he was feeding Camby & Nene.  In Philly the main obstacle will be the Sixers adjusting to receiving a pass before 20 seconds of the shot clock have expired.  I would also say that he will benefit from the "best player on a bad team" syndrome.

Melo is a scoring machine.  Who exactly on the 76ers is going to make all the shots off of his passes?  I expect some nice alley oops between Andre and Andre but I just don't see who else he is going to dish to.  If he's not getting assists from Camby and NeNe what makes you think he will get anymore with Webber and Dalembert?

I wonder how exactly they are going to manage to move the ball.  Heck who knows, maybe they will feed off each other.  I just think the timming is bad.  The Nuggets are going to have to be AI's team until Melo gets back.  By that time it will be close to the all-star break and at a time when they need to start playing their best ball.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 06:07:33 PM »
I knew Philly was going to get fleeced but .... good lord ...

Hey, at least the Shaq trade is no longer the worst trade in recent NBA history   ;D

The Clippers should have made the deal and included Livingston.  But the Clippers are the Clippers.  They were, are and always will be mediocre.  With or without Livingston.  All the more reason they should have made the trade because AI fills seats ... Livingston doesn't.  If you're going to be mired in mediocrity ... you might as well sell tickets.  Plus with AI and Brand together ... who knows, they might have finished the reg season more than two whole games ahead of the Lakers like they did last season when the media declared them the new owner of LA hoops  :D

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 06:09:08 PM »
Draft Picks might have been the goal, but it was a faulty goal.  Each draft pick isn't equal, and both of those picks look to be around 25, and have very little to no value.
yeah some of the pundits were saying no lotto pick teams would trade for Iverson.
I disagree.  Yes of course Oden is to be the next Tim Duncan type #1, but have the teams with the fewest chances ever landed #1?

I think teams with a lotto pick outside 1 2 or 3 would listen to the Sixers.  Oh well....

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 06:15:18 PM »

You hit the nail on the head here, Derek.  The Nuggs will likely make the playoffs and these picks certainly won't be lottery picks.  Unless Jerry West leaves Memphis and takes over for Billy King ... I don't see the 76ers harvesting any diamonds out of the late first round rough.  Sorry to you Philly fans, you don't deserve the abuse your teams inept management has inflicted on you.