Author Topic: Iverson to Denver trade looks to have taken place  (Read 7454 times)

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Iverson to Denver trade looks to have taken place
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 06:16:45 PM »

I think teams with a lotto pick outside 1 2 or 3 would listen to the Sixers.  Oh well....

True, but AI would have refused to report to those teams.  Meanwhile, let's go back over to the Kobe thread and discuss what an a-hole he is  :D

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 06:27:00 PM »
Draft Picks might have been the goal, but it was a faulty goal.  Each draft pick isn't equal, and both of those picks look to be around 25, and have very little to no value.

You hit the nail on the head here, Derek.  The Nuggs will likely make the playoffs and these picks certainly won't be lottery picks.  Unless Jerry West leaves Memphis and takes over for Billy King ... I don't see the 76ers harvesting any diamonds out of the late first round rough.  Sorry to you Philly fans, you don't deserve the abuse your teams inept management has inflicted on you.   

The Nugs may not make the playoffs though.   With Melo missing 15 games then coming back to a team that is going to have chemistry issues and will need time to gel it is a possibility they don't make it.  January is going to be a real test for them as they face winning western conference teams  6 out of the 15 games they play  lucky for them 10 of 15 will be at home.  They play their division rivals Utah twice and Spurs twice that month.

The fans dont deserve the abuse.  It is not like they asked or had input on some of the decisions made.  I think the management should get paddled by the Philly residents in a hazing-type event at a large park.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 06:30:06 PM »

I think teams with a lotto pick outside 1 2 or 3 would listen to the Sixers.  Oh well....

True, but AI would have refused to report to those teams.  Meanwhile, let's go back over to the Kobe thread and discuss what an a-hole he is  :D
New rule by NBA that players who refuse to report are suspended and docked salary.
Enacted (much too late) after Zo Mourning burned Toronto.

Go for it on the Kobe thread.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2006, 06:37:33 PM »

The Nugs may not make the playoffs though.   With Melo missing 15 games then coming back to a team that is going to have chemistry issues and will need time to gel it is a possibility they don't make it.  January is going to be a real test for them as they face winning western conference teams  6 out of the 15 games they play  lucky for them 10 of 15 will be at home.  They play their division rivals Utah twice and Spurs twice that month.

I hear you westkoast, it's possible but not likely.  Where's Denver right now ... in the 7th seed (I think)?  Who can really challenge them for those last two spots, maybe Golden State or New Orleans if they can get healthy?  Other than that, I don't see much of a threat from anyone else in the West. 

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 06:42:25 PM »

New rule by NBA that players who refuse to report are suspended and docked salary.

Nice rule, unfortunately I don't see it as much of a deterrent in this case and most cases, especially with the big endorsement deals the premier players have.  If AI wants to be a baby and block a trade, the team receiving him in the deal is likely to get wind of it and pull out.  It's already happened at least once in this current situation with the Bobcats. 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 07:41:22 PM »

I hear you westkoast, it's possible but not likely.  Where's Denver right now ... in the 7th seed (I think)?  Who can really challenge them for those last two spots, maybe Golden State or New Orleans if they can get healthy?  Other than that, I don't see much of a threat from anyone else in the West. 

Usually Denver gets in because they run away with that division.  With Utah clearly on pace to take that division and Minn could catch Denver while all this is being sorted out.  Plus Denver is only .500 against the Western Conference with most of their key players.  It will be interesting to see how the brawl and the personel change is going to affect them.  Melo is gone for 15 games with Minny 2.5 games back from them.

Minny, GS, NO, Kings could all grab those last two spots.  They are not that far behind Denver and without Melo this team is not quite the same.  I wonder if AI will get into 'its my team' mode fully by the time Melo gets back.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2006, 08:24:22 PM »

Nice rule, unfortunately I don't see it as much of a deterrent in this case and most cases, especially with the big endorsement deals the premier players have.  If AI wants to be a baby and block a trade, the team receiving him in the deal is likely to get wind of it and pull out.  It's already happened at least once in this current situation with the Bobcats. 
It's a he said/he said.
Is Bernie just spinning or is Bernie speaking truth?
Bobcats coach/general manager Bernie Bickerstaff on Tuesday denied the report.

"That is the biggest crap I have ever seen," Bickerstaff said, according to NBA.com. "It didn't even come into play. So there is no response to that."

The Charlotte Observer quoted Bickerstaff as saying the team was never close to a deal to acquire Iverson, and that the Bobcats only offered salary-cap room as an aid to the Sixers. Basically, they'd be working as a third team to make a trade work.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2006, 08:42:52 PM »
This is the first time that A.I. will play most of his games away from Momma. Wonder how long he will enjoy all that Denver has to offer before he starts demanding another trade.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2006, 09:51:24 PM »
Since "melo" is out for 15 games, by the time he comes back, AI will be putting in his 30 or so per night, and dishing almost as many assists as Miller (No Melo to pass to!)

This will give Denver a totally different look, and give AI's new teamates a chance to get adjusted without Carmello on the floor.  Hopefully, they will be at least as good as they are now record-wise, and the readdition will push Denver up in the standings.

The truth is that if Melo is open, AI will pass to him.  If AI is first up the floor, he's going to the bucket.  I thing AI will have a lot of fun playing against the WC guards.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2006, 10:38:08 PM »
Wonder how long he will enjoy all that Denver has to offer before he starts demanding another trade.

Considering it took him 11 years for it to happen the first time, I'd say quite a while.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2006, 10:42:29 PM »
Wonder how long he will enjoy all that Denver has to offer.....

Why do you always have to be such an arse!  Can't you keep Kobe out of any thread you post in!!!!!!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2006, 11:02:23 PM »
Draft Picks might have been the goal, but it was a faulty goal.  Each draft pick isn't equal, and both of those picks look to be around 25, and have very little to no value.

I agree with you Derek that late first round picks don't usually trun into great players, but I think for Philly it does give them a couple of important assets for future trades.  This is supposed to be best draft since 2003.  If Philly ends up with say the 6th pick, adding one of these 2 picks to the sixth may be enough to move up to #4, maybe #3.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2006, 11:10:34 PM »
But if we hadn't gotten Andre Miller, there's no chance we wouldn't have had one of the two worst records.

They need to turn around and trade Andre Miller immediately.  If he helps us win 5 more games, and we get the 4th or 5th worst record, this trade will be a colossal failure.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2006, 09:59:52 AM »
I'm not sure how everyone says both picks end up around 25.  There are only 30 teams and Denver's record will not be in the top 6 of the entire league.  You can basically pencil in picks 28, 29 & 30 to Mavs, Spurs & Suns (not necessarily in that order).  The way things are going Detroit, Utah and possibly Houston will all have better records.  Also Denver's early schedule has been heavy on Eastern teams (15 games vs East; only 8 vs West) which IMO overstates their current record.

The Nuggets are currently tied for the 9th best record or the 21st pick.  I'm not sure what the other pick they had.  But I don't see two picks in the 25 range.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2006, 10:31:17 AM »
I'm not sure what the other pick they had.  But I don't see two picks in the 25 range.

I'll give ya a hint.

It's one of the three teams you said could be penciled in for picks 28, 29 or 30.