Author Topic: Looks like Blazers are finally moving Rasheed  (Read 13300 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Looks like Blazers are finally moving Rasheed
« on: February 10, 2004, 12:18:22 AM »
TNT/ESPN?Yahoo have reported that the Blazers and Hawks have agreed to a deal.  Blazers give Rasheed and Wesley Person for Shareef Abdur Rahim, Theo Ratliff, and Dan Dickau.
My first thoughts are that this is a pretty good deal for Portland, talent wise and PR wise.  The fans of Portland wanted Rasheed out, but I think the Blazer front office was trying to re-sign him.  When it became clear that Rasheed wasn't going to sign an extention and was going to become a FA, then Nash and Patterson decided to make the move.
Rahim is a high quality player, in many ways on par with Rasheed.  He is not the defender Rasheed is, nor does he has Rasheeds range, but he is highly talented.  One of the big questions will be how does he mesh with Zach Randolph?  They have similar low post games.  They can get in each others way, or they can compliment each other, and take away low post double teams.
He is a quality guy who doesn't have any black marks on his record which is a big plus.  He is also 2 years and 3 months younger than Rasheed.  At 29 Rasheed is now on the down side of his career, and his production will gradually dimish over the next 4 to 5 years.  Rahim is just reaching his peak.
The biggest negative though is that he has never been a winner in the NBA.  A lot of that is because he has been on teams lacking talent, but some of the blame must rest with him.
Theo Ratliff is a good addition for Portland.  He is 4 years younger than Dale Davis, and is a better defender and rebounder, which Portland can clearly use.  Davis is clearly over the hill.  Ratliff is no Jermaine O'Neal, but he is much better than Davis.
Dickau and Person are cap filler.  I liked a lot of the things Person added, but clearly he was gone after this year, so using him to get younger and I think better is worth it.  Portland is weak at PG depth with the loss of McInnis, so adding Dickau is a reasonable risk.  He was first round pick, but late enough that his salary is managable for the next couple of years.
It is always tough to lose your marquee player, and from an on the court sense you always have concerns when those players are moved.  In this case though I think we came out just fine talent wise, and in the end we will be a better team.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Guest_Reality

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 12:38:20 AM »
What are the goods on Abdul Rahims defense?

Sound like the Blazers will keep him for sure, zero chance of turnaround trade?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 12:52:17 AM »
Here's the story:

Blazers Acquire Two All-Stars From Atlanta

February 9, 2004

The Portland Trail Blazers have acquired former NBA All-Stars Forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Center Theo Ratliff as well as Guard Dan Dickau from the Atlanta Hawks in return for Forward/Center Rasheed Wallace and Guard/Forward Wesley Person.

“Since John Nash and I came here last summer, we pursued a plan that would take character into account with talent, create cap flexibility while continuing to put a competitive team on the court,” said Trail Blazers President Steve Patterson.

“The community has been very clear in their message and we are listening. As we pledged to our fans and customers back in August, we want to build a competitive team on the court and one in which the fans can also be proud of off the court. Today’s trade is a reflection of that commitment,” said Patterson.

Abdur-Rahim, a 6-foot-9, 245-pound forward, is averaging 19.9 ppg (16th in the NBA) and 9.4 rpg (12th) while shooting 48.4% (18th) from the floor and 88.6% (7th) from the free throw line. The 6-foot-10, 235-pound Ratliff is the NBA’s leading shot blocker, 3.1 bpg, and averages 8.3 ppg and 7.2 rpg. Dickau, a Vancouver, WA native, has appeared in 20 games this season, averaging 2.1 ppg.

A seven-year NBA veteran, Abdur-Rahim owns career averages of 20.7 ppg, 8.4 rpg and 1.1 spg in 583 games. The 27-year-old was the third selection of the 1996 NBA Draft by the then-Vancouver Grizzlies after a record-setting freshman year at California. He averaged 21.1 ppg, leading all freshmen in the country in scoring, and led the team in scoring, rebounding and steals.

Abdur-Rahim was named Third-Team All-America by the Associated Press and was the first freshman to be selected as Pacific-10 Conference Player of the Year. He was also named All Pac-10 and Pac-10 Freshman of the Year.

Abdur-Rahim was named to the 1996-97 NBA All-Rookie Team after leading the Grizzlies in scoring, 18.7 ppg, and grabbing 6.9 rpg. In five seasons and 375 games with the Grizzlies, he averaged 20.8 ppg and 8.2 rpg. He was traded to the Atlanta Hawks for Lorenzen Wright, Brevin Knight and the draft rights to Pau Gasol on July 19, 2001. Since coming to the Hawks, Abdur-Rahim has averaged 20.4 ppg and 8.9 rpg in two-plus seasons.

Active in the community, he was named one of the Sporting News Good Guys in sports and helped raise funds for September 11 victims by creating "Rebound America" which raised a total of $212,275, including $69,600 from Abdur-Rahim. In November 2001, he received the NBA’s Community Assist Award.

Ratliff left the University of Wyoming with 425 blocked shots, the second-best total in NCAA history behind Alonzo Mourning's 453. He was only the fifth player in NCAA history to block 400 or more shots during his career and holds the third-best blocked shots average per game (3.83) in NCAA history behind David Robinson (5.24) and Shaquille O'Neal (4.58).

After a stellar college career, Ratliff was selected by the Detroit Pistons in the first round (18th pick overall) of the 1995 NBA Draft. He spent two-plus seasons in Detroit before being traded to Philadelphia.

Ratliff was selected by the fans to be the Eastern Conference’s starting center in the 2001 NBA All-Star Game, but was unable to play due to a stress fracture in his right wrist. The 76ers then dealt him to the Hawks for Dikembe Mutombo in a six-player deal. Ratliff missed all but three games of the 2001-02 NBA campaign after having surgery to repair a cartilage tear in his right hip.

The 30-year-old returned to form last season and, for the second time in three seasons, led the NBA in blocked shots, 3.2 bpg. In 81 games, he also averaged 8.3, ppg and 7.5 rpg. Ratliff has averaged 8.8 ppg, 6.4 rpg and 2.7 bpg in 524 games spanning eight-plus seasons. He has blocked nine shots in a game five times in his career.

Ratliff is a member of the NBA’s All-Star Reading Team and a frequent participant in the Read To Achieve Program. For the past two years he has sponsored a reading contest for metro-Atlanta students.

Dickau, 6-foot and 190 pounds, attended Prairie H.S. in Vancouver, WA. He finished his college career at Gonzaga after playing two seasons at Washington. After only two seasons with the Bulldogs, he ranks seventh all-time in Gonzaga history in assists, 299, and 16th in scoring, 1,125 points.

The 25-year-old was a two-time Verizon/College Sports Information Directors of America District 8 All-Academic pick and a two-time West Coast Conference All-Academic selection.

He was acquired by the Hawks in a draft day trade after being selected by the Sacramento Kings in the first round (28th pick overall) of the 2002 NBA Draft. In August of 2002, he married Heather Nevenner, a former member of the BlazerDancers.

“This trades helps the franchise in many ways,” said Patterson. “We get a younger core of players and can remain competitive in both the Western Conference and the league. Another factor in the deal is that we are also acquiring three players of good character. This trade also gives the franchise salary cap flexibility.”

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Guest_Randy

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 02:23:53 AM »
Ziggy, you seem to neglect the fact that Ratliff gives you the one thing the Blazers are missing -- a inside post defender and shotblocker.  Ratliff is a decent post defender but an excellent team defender and shotblocker.  If Cheeks can find a way to run a zone defense, Ratliff is your man in the middle.  

Also, SAR is a better rebounder than Sheed is although not as good as Sheed as a shooter.  I would like to see SAR move more without the ball -- a lot like SA used to use Sean Elliott slashing to the basket.  SAR can also run the fastbreak but so could Sheed.  I think that SAR was worth trading for Sheed all by himself for two reasons:  1) PR -- Portland NEEDED to move Sheed, fans were tired of his act; and 2) Sheed can't play SF -- sure, he has range but he needs to attack the basket more, not less.  SAR is a better SF than Sheed is, IMO.  SAR has been playing out of position since he left the Grizzlies, now he can move back.  Add Ratliff to that equation and I think this is a HUGE trade for the Blazers.  

Last comment, the Blazers have managed to get rid of Wells and Sheed -- if they could dump Patterson, I think perhaps their chemistry problems could improve a great deal.  I think these trades will already restore a little faith in Portland -- great PR moves, IMO.

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 09:53:15 AM »
Excellent move by the Blazers IMHO.   Abdur-Rahim has not been able to elevate his teams but he has talent and isn't a distraction.  Ratliff is a great addition in that so much of Portland's trouble has been too many guys who want to be the man whereas Ratliff's whole game is built around team defense.  

jn

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 10:20:45 AM »
Doh! The previous one was me.  

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 11:04:35 AM »
Randy,
I agree with you on Ratliff.  He is a good addition, but lets not mistake him for being something he isn't.  He is a great defender in the post, and defense has been our biggest weakness all season.  He is a great shot blocker, and a solid rebounder, and a significant improvement over DD.  He has no more of an offensive game than DD, but with Zach, Shareef, Damon, DA, and Miles we don't need another scorer, but another rebounder.
I am overall very happy.  We could have done much worse in a trade of Rasheed, but I doubt we could have done any better.  Shareef is a very good player, but he won't be any better than Rasheed at guarding SF.  He will though be a load for them to defend and we still have Ratliff and DD to protect the middle against slashers.
Now all we have to do is trade DD to Lithuania for Arvydas Sabonis, and all will once again be right in my world.

A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 11:50:34 AM »
hmmmmmm  rasheeed and stephen jackson in atlanta, to play hard attitude people on the same court finally for them, wonder if this will make a difference for the rest of the year for the big ATL.  i cant imagine much, but i think having some fire in their game may work out for atlant the remainder of the season...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2004, 12:02:56 PM »
let's not get carried away.  Theo's NOT a great post defender.  he IS a great weakside help defender, and that should help portland's transition game, but he's not a great post defender.  never has been, never will be.

And SAR's a brutal defender.  MUCH worse than sheed.

overall, I'm not sure portland got better.  but they got as close to fair value for sheed as they could.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2004, 12:40:39 PM »
IMO, with Theo on board, this means the DD is on his way out.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Guest_Randy

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2004, 02:00:07 PM »
let's not get carried away.  Theo's NOT a great post defender.  he IS a great weakside help defender, and that should help portland's transition game, but he's not a great post defender.  never has been, never will be.

And SAR's a brutal defender.  MUCH worse than sheed.

overall, I'm not sure portland got better.  but they got as close to fair value for sheed as they could.
Dbods . . .

I think if you actually reread my post, I never stated that Ratliff was a great post defender -- I said he was a decent one -- and he is.  What he gives the Blazers is a great zone defender -- a great weakside presence and a great shotblocker.  Two HUGE upgrades from anything they have in the middle.

SAR isn't as good a defender as Sheed is in the post -- but Sheed wasn't all that great a defender against SF's so Portland isn't going to lose much defensively and it will be Ratliffs job to protect the middle -- something he can do very well.  Ratliff doesn't have any offensive game but Portland has enough scorers and shooters -- they need rebounding, shotblocking and a defensive presence in the middle.

I don't think this trade puts Portland up with the Wolves, Kings, Lakers and Spurs but I do think it puts them in the next tier.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2004, 02:07:20 PM »
enough about portland, thats one less western power to worry about now.   how do you think atlanta will do?  S jackson had a 30 point game last night.  do you think atl will keep him and rebuild with wallace or dump him and go after others?
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Guest_Reality

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2004, 02:13:36 PM »
Wallace has said he fully intends to test the free agent market at seasons end.
Can't imagine ATL would want to build around him for big $$ and end up like Portland.  S. Jackson needs to repent and try to get back on SAS.

SpursX3 . . .

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2004, 02:16:40 PM »
I'm a little surprised by your comments about Stephon Jackson.  I do think that this guy overvalued himself but it's not like the Spurs treated him to the red carpet treatment.  The Spurs were drooling all over themselves to sign JKidd that they ended up making many players feel unappreciated (see Jackson, Parker and J. O'Neal) in SA's plans.  

Have you forgotten that it was Stephon Jackson who basically ensured the Spurs win over the Lakers?  It was his outside shooting and solid D that helped the Spurs overcome the Lakers (how many 3's did he have in that series?).  

It was obvious that he isn't worth what he thought he was but it's not like SA made him feel like he was part of their plans -- more of an afterthought -- that doesn't do much to stroke the ego's of NBA players.  SA NEEDS a big 3 point shooter -- and it seems that he has been forgotten rather quickly.

As for Atlanta, I think they will offer Sheed a contract but he won't be their first option, IMO.  I think Sheed is going to be VERY surprised at his "worth" at the end of this season.  He is presently making $13 mill a year -- I will be surprised if anyone offers him more than $8 a year (mill that is).  I think Atlanta is setting themselves up for the Kobe sweepstakes -- I don't think Kobe is going anywhere but the Hawks have set themselves up to give him the reins and the max possible.  I think Atlanta would be better off building this team slowly rather than throwing money at players.  They need a quality build rather than a quick fix (see Boston).

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2004, 02:21:19 PM »
LMAO!!  okay was using "Spursx3" on purpose, or by accident??

isnt there user name protection or are people (err i mean way out west) going to be pulling this kind of this all the time?