Author Topic: Looks like Blazers are finally moving Rasheed  (Read 13299 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Looks like Blazers are finally moving Rasheed
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2004, 02:22:16 PM »
p.s it was a very good answer though...LOL
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2004, 02:33:46 PM »
Not sure who that was, my response would have been: "are the Sp*rs even worth discussing?"
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

SJackson

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2004, 02:38:36 PM »
No doubt Popavitch went from GM of the year (GNOB, Parker) to zero GM of the year (Rashastiff and very lucky to have landed Turkey while losing Speedy, Kerr (maybe would have retired no matter what) potentially O'Neal in a collosal waste of time pursuing Kidd.  But Jackson is one he could have held onto.  However, the reason Jackson and his agent are FOs is they ended up signing for way less in last place ATL.
Its not like other teams were fighting over Jackson.  Good, yes.  All that?  Nooo.
Jackson blew it even tho Zit was GM loser of the year.  Jackson ultimately could have and should have stayed.  If they repeat or lose close to a strong WC foe while Jackson having another strong playoffs then he would have positioned himself for a much bigger paycheck in 2005 and beyond.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2004, 02:44:26 PM »
please register on this board or we are all doomed....DOOMED...doomed.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2004, 03:56:23 PM »
I have to say, I couldn't be happier to see Wallace out of the WC. I do not see any way this is a bad deal for Portland, although I agree with some of the comments I have read on the sports wires that it rings a little hollow of Blazers management to say "see, we're improving our image" when the only reason this went down is because Wallace turned down a contract extention.

I think X3 made a good point that this puke may find out that his act is played and he won't be worth what he thinks he is come April. The problem is, too many will be willing to overlook this idiots EXTREME stupidity and disreguard for decorum and decency in order to have his talent on their squad, just look at this quote:

"What you do in this situation is very clear, you start with a clean slate," Hawks general manager Billy Knight said. "You judge people on the way they are with you. I'm not going to go on what someone else said."

What in the world does that mean? "I'm not going to go on what someone else said."? Doesn't this worthles piece of trashes police blotter in Oregon and his very public things HE HIMSELF SAID and his video documented misbehaviour count, Mr. Knight? Or are you really that stupid as well?!?!

Rahim and Ratliff are VERY good pickup for Portland, they add rebounding and their frontcourt just got much, much, better especially on the weakside. But even beyond that, they added decent citizens and a stabilizing influence to a troubled franchise. Perhaps Patterson should disappear next.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 03:57:32 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Guest_Randy

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2004, 04:21:54 PM »
SpursX3 . . .

The previous post about Jackson was mine -- I simply have gotten used to writing a title in the post instead of my name, sorry.

It was pretty obvious that Jackson and agent went for less because of how Stephon was treated or felt treated by the Spurs.  He was a huge part of why the Spurs beat the Lakers (although that was his best series in the playoffs) with his deadly shooting (he is also an underrated defender) and moves well without the ball.  The Spurs show their need for him this year -- Parkers long range shooting has been inconsistent and the same is true with the Turk (Manu is NOT a good long range shooter).  

There are many players who have helped the Lakers in the past -- Horry is one person that I will always be a fan of.  This guy was asked to do an impossible task for years in LA -- guard the best PF's in the league while being incredible undersized and understrengthed -- yet, he held his own for the most part and managed to frustrate players and carry off his role in an incredible way.  Not to mention some of those memories of last minute shots.  I'm SOOO glad that he is closer to his family but wish he would have signed with the Rockets rather than the Spurs so that I could really root for him at times!  :lol:  

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2004, 04:52:57 PM »
Actually Jackson was offered a 3 yr $10 mill deal from the Spurs.  He declined the offer because his agent felt he was worth more than that.  At that point Pop did the Hedo/Mercer deal.

Speedy wanted a starting job...and he wasn't going to get it in SA.  Again it was his choice to move on not the Spurs.

Spurs wanted both Claxton & Jackson to return but they chose to move on.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2004, 05:21:36 PM »
I really doubt that take on Speedy. Fact is the Spurs thought that they had a genuine shot at Kidd, and they no longer needed Speedy at backup (they had Parker for that). Speedy didn't get the starter's job at GS until Van Exel was injured so I doubt that was his reasoning for leaving. I'm happy to see he (Speedy) is finally getting the minutes he has earned. He may not be one of the league's leading PGs, but he is too good to be playing garbage minutes from the bench.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2004, 05:43:12 PM »
JW - Speedy was offered the starting spot in GS well before the Jamison - van exel trade.  fact is Speedy thought he had a starting shot, but when the chance to trade with dallas came up GS took fast, and landed Van Exel.  Nick the quick is a better point guard and of course got the starting spot.  everything bbf...oops i mean lurker (wink wink) said is a correct take on what happenned this summer.  there was enough news print on it at the time to prove as much, you would just need an account to review the archives at mysanantonio.com...

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2004, 07:34:39 PM »
Still, your post puts Speedy in a bad light. Why on earth would he have stayed in San Antonio where he was likely to be the third in line at the PG spot if the Spurs landed Kidd? He played very well for the Spurs in the playoffs last season and deserved better than garbage minutes and pay that matched it. If, in fact, he was promised the starter's role when he signed with GS, it must have been doubly disappointing to find himself thrust into a backup role. It seems, though, that he has made the best of the opportunity, unlike Van Exel who is still sulking over getting the boot by the Mavs.  

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2004, 07:54:52 PM »
dont get me wrong, if speedy wanted to be i would be like "HURRY N SIGN HIM!"  i thought he was the best beck up we could have had and think he is a missing cog in our machine this year.  speey is not unliked in SA JW, not by far.

Lurker . . .

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2004, 11:57:16 PM »
Actually Jackson was offered a 3 yr $10 mill deal from the Spurs. He declined the offer because his agent felt he was worth more than that. At that point Pop did the Hedo/Mercer deal.

duh, I wonder why he didn't jump at that deal -- $3 mill a year?  That's VERY little money and he WAS worth more than that -- you would have thought the Spurs would have thought so to judging by what he gave them in the playoffs (esp. against the Lakers).  IMO, Jackson was worth more along the $4-5 mill a year but I think if you go back and look at how it played out -- the Spurs were out drooling over JKidd and Jackson was an afterthought.  That's probably why he signed for less elsewhere, huh?

As for Speedy, I'm SURE that the Spurs would have liked to have him back (of course, as cheaply as possible) but Speedy wanted to play more minutes.  Speedy was GREAT in the playoffs last year -- it's a shame to see him sitting the bench in GS.  Wonder if they want to trade him for Fisher!  :D  

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2004, 10:33:21 AM »
Even though afraid to use your own name the style is soooooo identifiable.  And the refusal to let facts influence your opinion fits.  Gee, I wonder who posted under my user name?  :blink:  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2004, 11:12:39 AM »
Pop is a wonderful coach and GM. Actually, come playoff time, I think the Spurs will be even strong this year than they were last year.  Hedo, Rasho and Horry were fantastic pickups.  

SA is in the drivers seat to go all the way this year. They are much improved from early in the season. (Where the bulk of their losses took place against the top teams.)
Paul

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2004, 01:40:08 PM »
Even though afraid to use your own name the style is soooooo identifiable. And the refusal to let facts influence your opinion fits. Gee, I wonder who posted under my user name?

lol, actually, I keep forgetting to log in and therefore keep resorting back to trying to use the log-in name to identify who I am posting too.  Sorry, my bad.

What facts am I not realizing?  The fact that the Spurs thought that Jackson was a mere afterthought?  The fact that they wanted him to take peon money when he was worth more?  Which of those facts aren't true?

And, just in case you don't know the meaning of hypocrisy?  Here is a perfect example:  
afraid to use your own name the style is soooooo identifiable.
 Yeah, you're a real mystery!   :lol: