Author Topic: Tim Dunkins foot injury  (Read 7708 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Tim Dunkins foot injury
« on: January 09, 2006, 10:40:20 AM »
PHOENIX — Tim Duncan's right foot continues to trouble him, but the Spurs have all but ruled out giving him another cortisone injection.

Duncan has been bothered by plantar fasciitis in the foot since the preseason. He received a pain-killing shot Dec. 11, but the Spurs don't want to risk giving him another injection, coach Gregg Popovich said.

"We don't want to dry up those tendons," Popovich said. "If you dry up those tendons, then you have big problems. We'll just have to live with it."

Popovich said he continues to contemplate sitting Duncan to give him additional rest, but Duncan wants to keep playing.   Who wears the pants? :nonono:

The injury has most affected Duncan when the Spurs play on consecutive nights and he doesn't have enough time to recover. But it also shows itself on a daily basis.   Duhrrrr so have him play the most minutes back to back vs MN and PHX.  Thats what all that bench depth is all about. :crazy:

"In some games, depending on the pain, it will limit the kind of movement he can make," Popovich said.

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketb...ok.36e4136.html

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Tim Dunkins foot injury
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 10:53:22 AM »
PHOENIX — Tim Duncan's right foot continues to trouble him, but the Spurs have all but ruled out giving him another cortisone injection.

Duncan has been bothered by plantar fasciitis in the foot since the preseason. He received a pain-killing shot Dec. 11, but the Spurs don't want to risk giving him another injection, coach Gregg Popovich said.

"We don't want to dry up those tendons," Popovich said. "If you dry up those tendons, then you have big problems. We'll just have to live with it."

Popovich said he continues to contemplate sitting Duncan to give him additional rest, but Duncan wants to keep playing.   Who wears the pants? :nonono:

The injury has most affected Duncan when the Spurs play on consecutive nights and he doesn't have enough time to recover. But it also shows itself on a daily basis.   Duhrrrr so have him play the most minutes back to back vs MN and PHX.  Thats what all that bench depth is all about. :crazy:

"In some games, depending on the pain, it will limit the kind of movement he can make," Popovich said.

Johnny Ludden
This has been an ongoing problem for TD and the Spurs, it really quantifies Obertos value to the Spurs organizaiton.

Thank goodness they have Oberto!  
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Tim Dunkins foot injury
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 11:01:52 AM »
This has been an ongoing problem for TD and the Spurs, it really quantifies Obertos value to the Spurs organizaiton.

This past month has brought more joy then imaginable.  No i don't celebrate the Saturnalia, but rather some of the most momentous, incredible breakthrus since i have been perfoming Lakerism Deprograming Therapy.

1st Laker Fan Dan sees a Kobe game ending foul vs Utah to be the bogus call it was.  
Next, westkoast and Randy see Kobes elbow thru the eyes and light of truth.

Now you are seeing the value of the Spurs obtaining Fabs.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Tim Dunkins foot injury
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 11:15:11 AM »

Popovich said he continues to contemplate sitting Duncan to give him additional rest, but Duncan wants to keep playing.   Who wears the pants? :nonono:

The injury has most affected Duncan when the Spurs play on consecutive nights and he doesn't have enough time to recover. But it also shows itself on a daily basis.   Duhrrrr so have him play the most minutes back to back vs MN and PHX.  Thats what all that bench depth is all about. :crazy:

Johnny Ludden

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Tim Dunkins foot injury
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 11:23:53 AM »
"All but ruled out giving him another cortizon shot"

:huh:

Are you only suppose to get a one or two a year?  I thought it does alot of damage to your body if you get hit with more than one.  Aside from the tendon dry up that Pop is talking about.

Scoring shouldn't be a problem if they move Manu to the 2 and start Finley at the 3.  The defense is going to suffer as long as Duncan is not 100% though.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Tim Dunkins foot injury
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 02:08:44 PM »
Manu/Finley at the 2 & 3 takes Bowen out of the starting lineup....then you can start talking about a drop off in defense.

Pop has long allowed Duncan to determine if he will play or not.  And Duncan has played with plantar flacitis all year so the decision on whether to get another shot also probably was his.  Most likely he felt that the first shot didn't relieve the pain that much so he is just playing through it.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Tim Dunkins foot injury
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 02:11:32 PM »
Pop has long allowed Duncan to determine if he will play or not.  And Duncan has played with plantar flacitis all year so the decision on whether to get another shot also probably was his.  Most likely he felt that the first shot didn't relieve the pain that much so he is just playing through it.
Playoffs playoffs.  How will this affect Dunkar in the playoffs?

Let the Laker posters worry about the stats in the regular season.

Guest_Randy

Tim Dunkins foot injury
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 02:16:46 PM »
Pop has long allowed Duncan to determine if he will play or not.  And Duncan has played with plantar flacitis all year so the decision on whether to get another shot also probably was his.  Most likely he felt that the first shot didn't relieve the pain that much so he is just playing through it.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Yet another homer bandwagon comment!  You NEED to build some team continuity BEFORE the playoffs -- the guys need a chance to play together to gain their confidence together, etc.  If you think the Spurs can take the regular season off and then cakewalk through the playoffs to another title -- you are underestimating Detroit and Miami!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Tim Dunkins foot injury
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 02:39:08 PM »
Pop has long allowed Duncan to determine if he will play or not.  And Duncan has played with plantar flacitis all year so the decision on whether to get another shot also probably was his.  Most likely he felt that the first shot didn't relieve the pain that much so he is just playing through it.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Yet another homer bandwagon comment!  You NEED to build some team continuity BEFORE the playoffs -- the guys need a chance to play together to gain their confidence together, etc.  If you think the Spurs can take the regular season off and then cakewalk through the playoffs to another title -- you are underestimating Detroit and Miami!
Judging by Miami so far this year I do not think they are on the same level as the Spurs so you can take them out of the equation until they can show they can at least be competitive against PHX without Amare Stoudamire.  Their defense is just not as good as it should be with Riley as coach and Shaq as the anchor.

Reality, why would the Laker posters here care about regular season stats when I think just about every single Laker poster has the Spurs to take the West and the #1 pick for winning it all?  Randy is right, as good as they are, they have to play together to be most effective in the playoffs.  One thing Randy forgot tho is that something happens mid-season to the Spurs and by the time the last 20 games come along they do something like win 80% of the final games.  If they do it this year it would be the 3rd year that I have seen them do that.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 02:39:53 PM by westkoast »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Tim Dunkins foot injury
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 03:21:30 PM »
Judging by Miami so far this year I do not think they are on the same level as the Spurs so you can take them out of the equation until they can show they can at least be competitive against PHX without Amare Stoudamire.  Their defense is just not as good as it should be with Riley as coach and Shaq as the anchor. [/quote]
 Exactly.  Phx who is doing it all without Stoudamire.

If Dunkar needs to rest, then Spurs need to adjust like Phx.  

Tons of time to gel before the playoffs.  It's early Jan, not late march.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Tim Dunkins foot injury
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 04:13:57 PM »
Quote from: Reality,Jan 9 2006, 03:21 PM
Quote from: westkoast,Jan 9 2006, 07:39 PM
Judging by Miami so far this year I do not think they are on the same level as the Spurs so you can take them out of the equation until they can show they can at least be competitive against PHX without Amare Stoudamire.  Their defense is just not as good as it should be with Riley as coach and Shaq as the anchor.
Exactly.  Phx who is doing it all without Stoudamire.

If Dunkar needs to rest, then Spurs need to adjust like Phx.  

Tons of time to gel before the playoffs.  It's early Jan, not late march. [/QUOTE]
PHX embarassed Miami the other night.  Did you catch the game?  They dominated them.  I don't see how people expect Miami to get past Detroit, let alone challenge the Spurs playing that kind of crap ball.

I agree and looking at the Spurs track record they always get it together by the time the playoffs roll around.  Personally thats not what I was worried about, more worried about how those coritzone shots are going to effect Tim's body overall.  

Lurker, Finley can guard players on the perimeter well.  Not quite Bowen but when you need a balance of scoring (cuz Tim is out) and defense the better of the two is Micheal Finley.  At least in my opinion he woul dbe a better choice for this situation.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 04:15:08 PM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Tim Dunkins foot injury
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 04:50:08 PM »
PHX embarassed Miami the other night.  Did you catch the game?  They dominated them.  I don't see how people expect Miami to get past Detroit, let alone challenge the Spurs playing that kind of crap ball.

You should have heard the Laker Nation and Miami Fans chatter after that game.  Everybody is comming down on Shaq right now.  People are starting to see glimpses of why Shaq wasn't untouchable for the Lakers and why the Lakers organization chose Kobe over Shaq.

It's somewhat vindicating for SOME fans who saw this comming.  Obviosly the trade was horrible but chosing Kobe over Shaq is becoming obvious to the average fan.  SOME fans knew Shaq only had a couple more years in the tank.

I'm still a Shaq fan and would like nothing better than for Shaq and Riles to win it all this year, that is the second best outcome for me in the NBA.  I think Shaq is going to be showing more and more signs of his neglect of his own physiqe.

I agree and looking at the Spurs track record they always get it together by the time the playoffs roll around.  Personally thats not what I was worried about, more worried about how those coritzone shots are going to effect Tim's body overall. 

Lurker, Finley can guard players on the perimeter well.  Not quite Bowen but when you need a balance of scoring (cuz Tim is out) and defense the better of the two is Micheal Finley.  At least in my opinion he woul dbe a better choice for this situation.

Finely is somewhat underrated as a defender.  He's definately alot slower but the thing with the average fan is they only catch nationally televised games where some marque player is featured at the expense of a second teir team like Dallas.  Guys like Kobe, AI, Wade, etc... will light up anybody so it's not fair for Finely, and others, to be judged by those types of game.

P.S. Using the "Quote" feature is not rocket science.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Tim Dunkins foot injury
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 04:58:40 PM »

P.S. Using the "Quote" feature is not rocket science.
Obviously not if you are using it  :rofl:   The board screws up the quoting tags sometimes.  Does it on my hip hop message board running invision too.   So if you are wondering why it was all screwed up, look at the software not me.

I think Finley is underrated as a defender also.  He may not be a fast guy but he is very strong.  You will not see too many 2s and 3s punking him around the court on the physical side of the game.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 05:00:45 PM by westkoast »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Tim Dunkins foot injury
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 05:42:29 PM »
I agree that Finley is generally underated as a defender.  Part of that "allas - no D" reputation.  However he isn't near Bowen's level....and if he is expending excessive energy on the defensive end his offense starts to suffer.

Pop has decided to keep Finley in the starting lineup and bring Manu off the bench.  But Manu has worked back into shape and is getting 25+ minutes in 3 of last 4 games (only 18 in the blowout of Portland).  Manu/Finley/Bowen will split the time at the 2 & 3 positions heading down the stretch with each getting close to 30 minutes a game.  Barry will pick up any leftover minutes.

The reason the Spurs seem to gel as the season finishes is that Pop realizes that getting to the playoffs is a marathon.  In the first couple months you see a lot of different combos on the floor and a lot of playing time for everyone.  In January he starts to tighten his rotation and the minutes for the starters will slowly climb.  By the time the playoffs start he will have his 8/9 man rotation right down to the points of the game where players get their rests.  Watch the next few games...Manu & Horry will come in about halfway into the first quarter, Duncan & Finley will sit.  With about 3 minutes left in the first Parker will sit and Van Exel will enter.  Often Duncan will return (and whoever is at C will leave) when Parker leaves as Pop tries to have 2 of the big 3 (Duncan/Parker/Manu) on the floor at all times.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 05:43:59 PM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

NBA gallery

Tim Dunkins foot injury
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2006, 05:55:35 PM »
By the time the playoffs start he will have his 8/9 man rotation right down to the points of the game where players get their rests.  Watch the next few games...Manu & Horry will come in about halfway into the first quarter, Duncan & Finley will sit.  With about 3 minutes left in the first Parker will sit and Van Exel will enter.  Often Duncan will return (and whoever is at C will leave) when Parker leaves as Pop tries to have 2 of the big 3 (Duncan/Parker/Manu) on the floor at all times.
I am not hearing the name "Fabs".