Author Topic: Kobe-wan!  (Read 7854 times)

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Kobe-wan!
« on: December 21, 2005, 03:05:04 AM »
I must give props to Kobe on an extremely impressive and efficient offensive performance.  I feel lucky to have been able to witness that first hand.  Kobe flat-out imposed his will on the Mavs.  I haven't seen anything like that since you know who.  He was relentless attacking the basket and forcing the Mavs to either foul him or pay the price.  At halftime, I was a little concerned that the other players weren’t getting involved and the law of % would catch up with Kobe and they'd blow another big lead at home.  Fortunately, Kobe came out in the 3rd with even more determination and dropped another 30.  Not bad for a player many believe doesn't rank in the league's top 5.  

The good news for Laker fans is that Kobe's performance was outshined by the Laker team defense.  The Lakers are playing much better D on this recent 8 out of 10 run, which along with better offensive spacing and ball movement are the main reasons for the streak.  Hopefully they can continue to improve on both sides of the court.  They still have a long way to go and will no doubt have some set backs like Sunday’s embarrassing performance against a short-handed Houston squad.  But if they continue to grow and improve as they have over the past 10 games, one would have to start giving Phil some credit.  

One negative from the game was that it looks like Laron Profit ruptured his Achilles.  That’s too bad for him and the team as he was becoming a steady contributor off the bench.  Here's to hoping he can have a full recovery.  

Guest_Randy

Kobe-wan!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 09:35:47 AM »
Not to mention that he scored these 62 points in only 33 minutes!

"We had no answer for him," Mavericks coach Avery Johnson said. "We tried to double-team him, we tried to zone him, we tried to trap him in the backcourt, and nothing worked. He had his way with us tonight."

How many players can do this?

"I've seen a few 60-point ballgames in my time, but none of them had been done by the third quarter," said Jackson, who coached Michael Jordan in Chicago. "His 30-point third quarter was incredible."

Of course, the people who don't believe Kobe is a top 5 will just ignore this game and this thread!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Kobe-wan!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 09:40:52 AM »
While I can see an arguement for top 5, anyone who doesn't think Kobe is top 10 is either a basketball idiot or too biased to see beyond their own dumb arse.

That was an amazing performance.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 09:41:09 AM by WayOutWest »
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jn

Kobe-wan!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 10:07:14 AM »
I'm no raging Kobe fan but I must give huge props to him.  msc I am really jealous you got to see this in person.   I hope they slap this ESPN Classic soon so I can see it.  Just amazing.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Kobe-wan!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 11:23:21 AM »
The part I was most happy about, aside from 30 in the 3rd, was the fact that a huge portion of his shots came in the flow of the offense.  He forced a number of 3s once he got hot (who could blame him when he was like 12/19 at that point) but for the most part the shots came inside the offense and on plays where the defense was caught sleeping.  Kobe would have eclipsed 62, as Phil Jackson wanted to put him back into the game int he 4th with 9 minutes left, but he declined as the 2nd unit was playing decent ball and maintaining the huge lead.

Kobe had a hell of a 2 games against the Mavs cupcake defense.  Only person to put up as many as Kobe did in 2 games another team like that is when D-Rob burned the Clips in back to back games in 94.  He had like 120-something I believe (Spurs fans correct me if I am wrong) against them.

Favorite stats of the night given in the game:

11th in defense

Last 5 games have held the opponent to under 40% shooting.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 11:25:35 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Kobe-wan!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 11:31:37 AM »
You know, if he wasn't a cheating rapist who feuded with the most dominant player of this era, forcing the owner to chose him over Shaq, and essentially CAUSING the Lakers to rely on Kobe so he might end up GETTING a night or two just like last nights because he clearly is the the only real option left for the Lakers to score consistently, I could maybe give a damn when his shots happen to fall in certain games, instead of miss.

Let me hear from you all the next time Kobe shoots 7 for 31.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Kobe-wan!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 11:42:18 AM »
You know, if he wasn't a cheating rapist who feuded with the most dominant player of this era, forcing the owner to chose him over Shaq, and essentially CAUSING the Lakers to rely on Kobe so he might end up GETTING a night or two just like last nights because he clearly is the the only real option left for the Lakers to score consistently, I could maybe give a damn when his shots happen to fall in certain games, instead of miss.

:up:

You know when you fish and sometimes toss the bait on too heavy the fishies dont bite.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 11:42:57 AM by westkoast »

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Kobe-wan!
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 11:46:43 AM »

Bah Humbug!

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Kobe-wan!
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 11:53:43 AM »
Favorite stats of the night given in the game:

11th in defense

Last 5 games have held the opponent to under 40% shooting.
I'm in total agreement with you on that stat.

My second favorite stat:  

End of 3rd qtr: Kobe - 62, Dallas - 61  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Kobe-wan!
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 12:05:38 PM »
I must give props to Kobe on an extremely impressive and efficient offensive performance.  I feel lucky to have been able to witness that first hand.  

One negative from the game was that it looks like Laron Profit ruptured his Achilles.  That’s too bad for him and the team as he was becoming a steady contributor off the bench.  Here's to hoping he can have a full recovery.
You were there?  That must have have been great.  Wow I also hope this does make it to espn classic.

To me the stat i got a kick out of the most was 62-61 Kobe vs Mavs after 3. :rofl:

Profit is Laker i actually like.  Hope it not career altering as in messes up next season and beyond.

Congratulations msc, you picked a good Staples attendance night.

Let me get on to the Haters B) ....

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Kobe-wan!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 12:06:30 PM »

:up:

You know when you fish and sometimes toss the bait on too heavy the fishies dont bite.
Aw, you know me too well.

But you have to admit, after twenty previous "lures", it was bound to happen at some point. At least we both now know your limit on how many tries it takes before you learn.

That knowledge can be useful to you in the future.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Kobe-wan!
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 12:10:26 PM »
While I can see an arguement for top 5,
WOW your statment is going to cause you problems again when you return to the Laker House.

TD
KG
A Stoudamire
Elton Brand
Dirk -altho not last night. :rofl:
Lebron James

If you don't recant your statement you could get the fingernail treatment back at The House.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Kobe-wan!
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 12:20:48 PM »
WOW your statment is going to cause you problems again when you return to the Laker House.

TD
KG
A Stoudamire
Elton Brand
Dirk -altho not last night. :rofl:
Lebron James

If you don't recant your statement you could get the fingernail treatment back at The House.
Dont you have to play to be considered a top 5 player in the league this year?  Amare was top 5 last year but has not played a single game.

LMAO @ one dimensional Dirk being a top 5.  How could you leave Kobe and AI off your list and include Dirk?! LOL
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 12:21:05 PM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Kobe-wan!
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005, 12:34:05 PM »
Especially when the bait is big enough to displace ALL the water in the pond.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Kobe-wan!
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 12:59:43 PM »
Way to go.  
Randy just burst into tears and cancelled his doing your nails at 3pm for the big Laker bash tonight.

I think Kobe should enjoy his day in the sun until Manu gets back.