Author Topic: Dress code comments  (Read 6889 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Dress code comments
« on: October 19, 2005, 06:41:23 AM »
What does Duncan think about the dress code?

"I think it's a load of crap," Duncan said. "I understand what they're trying to do with the hats and do-rags and jerseys and stuff. That's fine. But I don't understand why they would take it to this level. I think it's basically retarded.

"I don't like the direction they're going, but who am I?"

Duncan said he might choose to stay in the locker room on nights he isn't playing.

Players also will not be allowed to wear "large chains, pendants or medallions" over their clothes when they enter an arena.

"I have no problem dressing up (business) casual because I know I'm a nice-looking guy," Indiana guard Stephen Jackson said. "But as far as chains, I definitely feel that's a racial statement. Almost 100 percent of the guys in the league who are young and black wear big chains. So I definitely don't agree with that at all."

Asked what he thought about the dress code, Popovich, who attended the Air Force Academy, said: "I don't think about dress codes much now. I did that when I was a cadet."

Said Ginobili: "I can understand the point of why they did it. The thing is there's always a gray area. Are these dress shoes? Are these jeans nice?

"I know many of the players won't like it because it's not what they do. But at least it's not what they thought it was going to be, like jackets all the time and suits."

guest-koast

Dress code comments
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 10:31:14 AM »
I love how the NBA is like 'we are not singling out black people, we are going after white people too' cuz we all know that huge chain Mark Madsen wears is so distracting  :rolleyes:

This "rule" is a joke and a half.  On the court I understand but on the way to the arena?  Thats silly as hell.  These guys show up and change into something else anyways.  More times than not its a flippin jersey and warmups.

Guest_Randy

Dress code comments
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 10:35:41 AM »
Personally, I don't have a problem with the dress code -- of course, I don't wear huge gold chains around my neck either.  I think that was going overboard a bit and I'm not really sure how they are going to enforce this -- I can't see how this rule can't be challenged -- and if challenged, I don't see how Stern wins.

However, I would like to ask Stern to enforce some action codes too -- Stern, do something useful and make some rule that keeps Mark Madsen from dancing!

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Dress code comments
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 11:10:48 AM »
ZzZzZzZz

You want me to feel sympathy that Allen Iverson, making 16 million this year, has to wear business casual attire that a majority of the country has to wear?  No, not really.

This will blow up in David Stern's face though.  When athletes protest this, it will just disenfrachise people who are already disenfrachised that they can't connect to out of touch athletes.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Dress code comments
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 11:47:57 AM »
Just a few more player comments....

ESPN story

"I just think people should be able to express themselves. I know they took out the doo-rag stuff; I understand that. As far as guys wearing what they want to wear, I am all for that. Who really cares about what they wear from the bus to the locker room?"
-- Nets swingman Vince Carter, quoted in the Oct. 19 New Jersey Bergen Record

"What they do, just like anything, they go to the extreme so they can get what they really want. It's like any negotiation. You ask for something completely outlandish, knowing that we'll meet you halfway when halfway is what you really wanted."
-- Nets forward Richard Jefferson, quoted in the Oct. 19 New Jersey Bergen Record

"I have no problem dressing up ... because I know I'm a nice-looking guy. But as far as chains, I definitely feel that's a racial statement. Almost 100 percent of the guys in the league who are young and black wear big chains. So I definitely don't agree with that at all."
-- Pacers swingman Stephen Jackson, quoted in the Oct. 19 Indianapolis Star

"I thought it was funny they can't wear any of the jewelry and stuff like that. That's stricter than the dress code in a lot of office buildings."
-- Heat head coach Stan Van Gundy, quoted in the Oct. 19 Washington Post

"No it's not a big deal, not to me. Sometimes you feel lazy and you don't feel like putting some clothes on, but this is a job. We are going to have fun, but this is a job and we should look like we're going to work, that's the way they feel."
-- Cavs swingman LeBron James, quoted in the Oct. 19 Cleveland Plain Dealer

"Personally, I like it. I like to dress up. I kind of came in [the league] when it was ... sort of an unwritten code or law or whatever, that you look nice. It even got to the extreme, with guys [who] would go all out with the designer clothes and so forth. It was a little weird, the NBA turned into a fashion show. But I think it's good."
-- Magic forward Grant Hill, quoted in the Oct. 19 Washington Post

"I mean, it's cool. It's not real harsh. It just changes the image a little. Guys just got to grow up I guess. They're just trying to exclude some things. It's simple to me. Guys need to go out and buy some clothes and start something new.''
-- Celtics guard Ricky Davis, quoted in the Oct. 19 Boston Herald

"You knew it was coming in. I've got a couple of suits in the closet I've got to dust off. Hey, they make the rules; you've got to abide by them.''
-- Celtics swingman Paul Pierce, quoted in the Oct. 19 Boston Herald

"The players have been dressing in prison garb the last five or six years. All the stuff that goes on, it's like gangster, thuggery stuff. It's time. It's been time to do that. But one must remember where one came from. I was wearing bib overalls when I was a player one time. But I wasn't going to the games or events in them.
-- Lakers head coach Phil Jackson, quoted in the Oct. 19 San Gabriel Valley Tribune

"I don't have that many suits; I may have to recycle. I can't go to Men's Wearhouse because my arms are too long. I can make it work, though. If you've got 10 suits, you've really got 30. You just have to mix and match 'em right."
-- Bucks guard Desmond Mason, quoted in the Oct. 19 Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

"I think anything you impose on players, the first reaction is going to be, 'Nah, I don't want to do that.' We fight a little bit about change. But in the end, when it all settles, and you start to realize why, and guys will come in and they'll feel good about how they're dressed and things like that, hopefully they'll start to embrace it."
-- Knicks forward Antonio Davis, quoted in the Oct. 19 New York Times

"As far as when we're traveling, I don't see that as being necessary. We're the first ones at the arenas so no one sees us and then we're out of here and on a plane where no one sees us so why does it matter what we're wearing?"
-- Wizards forward Antawn Jamison, quoted in the Oct. 13 Washington Post

"If you want to cut the jeans out, I think that's fine. I just don't think you should have to wear a suit and tie all the time, especially [on] plane rides."
-- Pistons forward Tayshaun Prince, talking with FSN's Detroit Sports Report this week

"I think they're coming on way too strict. Movie stars in L.A., they're not always in jackets and ties, and they're setting trends, and we're looked at in the same light."
-- Timberwolves forward Wally Szczerbiak, quoted in the Oct. 7 Minneapolis Star-Tribune

"There is no GM dress code. We're not on the bench, luckily. I think if we were, I would have a problem."
-- Nuggets GM Kiki Vandeweghe, telling the Rocky Mountain News on Oct. 7 about failing Doug Moe's dress code back in his playing days

"Sometimes, getting on the plane, with the distances we fly, you need to be comfortable. I think there is a way to be classy and dress up. I think the dress code should strictly [enforce] what guys wear on the bench when they are not playing. That is when guys are most visible. But when we are on the plane, that is when we are most leisurely. I don't think that should matter. Wearing a sweat suit with a team logo on it? What sense does that make?"
-- Sonics guard Ray Allen, quoted in the Oct. 18 Tacoma News Tribune

"I don't think it's quite comfortable, but it's probably reasonable because NBA is a big organization around the world. We're like businessmen, and businessmen wear coats and suits."
-- Jazz forward Andrei Kirilenko, Salt Lake City Tribune on Oct. 18

"I'm a dresser, so it's not going to be that much of a change for me."
-- Raptors guard-forward Jalen Rose, quoted by the Canadian Press on Oct. 6

"I'm actually glad they're doing it because some people come to these games looking wrong." -- Bobcats forward Melvin Ely, in Charlotte Observer Oct. 7

"You get into a city at 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning off a back-to-back, you don't want to have put all of that stuff on."
-- Magic guard DeShawn Stevenson, who recently wore a shirt to practice featuring the image of bikini-clad Halle Berry. This garnered approval of teammates, according to an Oct. 7 Florida Today story.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Dress code comments
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 12:03:52 PM »
ZzZzZzZz

You want me to feel sympathy that Allen Iverson, making 16 million this year, has to wear business casual attire that a majority of the country has to wear?  No, not really.

This will blow up in David Stern's face though.  When athletes protest this, it will just disenfrachise people who are already disenfrachised that they can't connect to out of touch athletes.
No one is asking you to feel bad for AI or Sheed.  Thats not the point.  The point is that the NBA is forcing them to wear certain clothes on the way to the arena.  On the side line, yes they should not have pants half off their ass with a doo rag while the game is on.  I agree 100% with that.  What I dont agree with is what they are requiring them to wear on the way to work.  Thats silly, pointless, and uncalled for.

As for comments on business attire everyone else wears.  Last time I checked most of us work uniform or dress does not include sneakers, shorts, and a tank top jersey.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Dress code comments
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 12:13:24 PM »
As for comments on business attire everyone else wears. Last time I checked most of us work uniform or dress does not include sneakers, shorts, and a tank top jersey.

Most of us are also not national public representatives of our company.

I agree that the bus/plane thing is ridiculous.  I'm more geared for sideline/interview dress code.

rickortreat

Dress code comments
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 12:16:08 PM »
I think the NBA stars are looking at this the wrong way.  Do you think when Iverson appeared in court, that he wore a do' rag or a suit and tie?  How about when he was married?  Was he keepin' it real then, or wearing a Tux?

Fact is, he dressed up then, because he wanted to look good and wanted to appear respectable.

Think about the endorsement money these guys could get for wearing shirts with collars, nice ties and jackets.  Every inner city kid that idolizes them would be walking around in suits in AI's style!

And when they go for job interviews, they'll have respectible clothes to wear.

OH! The Shame!

:rofl:  

guest-koast

Dress code comments
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 12:20:30 PM »
As for comments on business attire everyone else wears. Last time I checked most of us work uniform or dress does not include sneakers, shorts, and a tank top jersey.

Most of us are also not national public representatives of our company.

I agree that the bus/plane thing is ridiculous.  I'm more geared for sideline/interview dress code.
The sideline/interview (at least outside of the lockerroom interviews) we are in agreement.  I think they should dress more professional on the floor if they are not suited up.  God knows they can afford it.

On the way to the arena or on the plane is pointless IMO.  Kinda overkill.   They change when they get to the arena anyways and on the plane they are normally flying home or to goto the hotel room to sleep.  

rickortreat

Dress code comments
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 04:15:33 PM »
Ya know what?  F these punk-ass whinny brats!  They get paid millions a year for playing a game.  If there employer wants them to present a certain image, that's fine.

Everyone I know has to dress appropriatly for their place of business.  Many have to wear rediculous uniforms.  Many have to wear a collared shirt, tie and jacket.  That's life.  Why should athletes not have to live by the same rules?  Don't they get enough perks as it is.

Here's an idea:  They can wear anything they want, but have to give up 10% of their salaries and the teams will have to drop ticket prices by 10% instead.  Think they would go for that?  That's what I thought!  They can F themselves.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dress code comments
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 05:34:26 PM »
Has anyone read the Marcus Camby quote?

"I don't see it happening unless every NBA player is given a stipend to buy clothes."

Camby has a contract that pays him $50 million over five years.

:nonono:  :puke:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 05:35:40 PM by Ted »
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

guest-koast

Dress code comments
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 05:37:17 PM »

Everyone I know has to dress appropriatly for their place of business.  Many have to wear rediculous uniforms.  Many have to wear a collared shirt, tie and jacket.  That's life.  Why should athletes not have to live by the same rules?  Don't they get enough perks as it is.

Rick they have a uniform...its called shorts, a tanktop, and sneakers.  Not exactly classy business attire.

Now say you show up to work 2 hours early, you decided to ride your bike instead of drive because you wanted a nice early morning bike ride.  You show up at 6 as oppose to 8 and you get fined for wearing bike shorts on the way to work.  Does that sound fair?  

guest-koast

Dress code comments
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2005, 05:39:35 PM »
Better yet Rick, say the company you work for decides you need to fly out at 10pm so first thing in the morning you can hit a meeting in downtown LA.  As you are running to the plane late at night you are fined by your company because someone saw you wear regular clothes while boarding a plane.  Mind you that you will be going straight to the hotel to sleep so you can wake up for work...but that is not acceptable.

Guest_Randy

Dress code comments
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2005, 06:18:45 PM »
Okay, let's stop and think about it:

Do players in high school and college dress up on game days?

The NBA is working on it's IMAGE and it's PRODUCT -- too many players are dressing in ways that wouldn't be allowed at the high school and college levels.  Personally, I think it's a bit much to ask these guys to wear a shirt, tie and slacks on a plane but I know people who are required to do it who make FAR less than these guys make.  It's VERY hard for me to feel sorry for a bunch of guys making millions of dollars to be asked to dress nice for their job.  

Most of the attitudes that are being spawned by this is EXACTLY why the NBA is making this rule -- they NEED to change the image of the NBA if they want to be able to continue giving out these kind of contracts and charge that kind of money!

guest-koast

Dress code comments
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 06:34:02 PM »
Again, I agree for interviews/sidelined due to injury/etc that these guys should be dressed nice.  If you are going to an NBA mandated charity dinner, dont come looking like 50 cent.  If you are conducting a press confrence after a playoff game, dress like you are in a business meeting not like you are hanging out with your friends on the weekend.

Randy, honestly does what the players on the sideline wear effect how much you enjoy a game?  These guys are paid to play basketball and their game on the court is what validates their paycheck, not the image they percieve.   The dress does not affect the attitude of these players.  Nor does making AI wear a suit when he drives to the arena 3 hours before the game improve the quality of his game.  Are you watching for the image of the players?  Or are you watching to see a fun, entertaining basketball game?  Personally what these guys are doing on the sideline, before a game, and on the airplane does not concern me.  Its when they are suited up and playing the game is where it matters to me personally.