Author Topic: Dress code comments  (Read 6888 times)

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dress code comments
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2005, 08:02:52 PM »
"I think it's basically retarded."
You know, before this whole situation blew up, Tim Duncan was probably my favorite NBA player.  But now that the above quote has come out, there is no longer any doubt whatsoever.  He is the MAN!  Any athlete who can say "I think this is retarded" (regardless of what it pertains to or if I happen to agree or disagree with them) is my HERO.

In these days of "political correctness," the word retarded has become very hush-hush, despite the fact that it's a very FUNNY word.  Just the sound of it makes me laugh.  Did you know that the original lyrics to the Black Eyed Peas song "Let's Get It Started" was actually "Let's Get Retarded"?  What a great word.  Too bad that an annual dose of PC has prohibited us from utilizing our God-given right to say words such as "retarded."  Me?  I say THANK YOU Tim Duncan, for standing up to those out there who frown upon the use of such "forbidden" words.  You DO stand up for us little guys (despite the fact you're 6'11'' and weigh upwards of 300 lbs).

And if you happen to be offended by this post, well, that's just RETARDED.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Dress code comments
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2005, 08:41:09 PM »
"I think it's basically retarded."
You know, before this whole situation blew up, Tim Duncan was probably my favorite NBA player.  But now that the above quote has come out, there is no longer any doubt whatsoever.  He is the MAN!  Any athlete who can say "I think this is retarded" (regardless of what it pertains to or if I happen to agree or disagree with them) is my HERO.

In these days of "political correctness," the word retarded has become very hush-hush, despite the fact that it's a very FUNNY word.  Just the sound of it makes me laugh.  Did you know that the original lyrics to the Black Eyed Peas song "Let's Get It Started" was actually "Let's Get Retarded"?  What a great word.  Too bad that an annual dose of PC has prohibited us from utilizing our God-given right to say words such as "retarded."  Me?  I say THANK YOU Tim Duncan, for standing up to those out there who frown upon the use of such "forbidden" words.  You DO stand up for us little guys (despite the fact you're 6'11'' and weigh upwards of 300 lbs).

And if you happen to be offended by this post, well, that's just RETARDED.
You've basically offended all the Spurs fans on this board.  The Texas Tards don't like that word being thrown around.  Shame on you Tim Duncan, you've insulted all the wonderful Spurs fans as well as the President of the United States of America!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Rickortreat

Dress code comments
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2005, 10:08:42 PM »

"Better yet Rick, say the company you work for decides you need to fly out at 10pm so first thing in the morning you can hit a meeting in downtown LA. As you are running to the plane late at night you are fined by your company because someone saw you wear regular clothes while boarding a plane. Mind you that you will be going straight to the hotel to sleep so you can wake up for work...but that is not acceptable. "

I think that if I was a top-line executive I would dress appropriately all the time, as my image is associated with my company.  I would want people to see me at my best, just as I would want them to perceive my company as being concerned with all aspects of their business from appearance to competance and trustworthyness.
Then again I'm flying in a corporate jet, and I'll change into decent clothes before leaving the plane.

But as a regular employee, not in the public eye, when I'm travelling I want to be comfortable.  I'm definitely not wasteing a suite and tie on a bike ride into work.  But if I'm expected to be in a suit and tie and payed accordingly, that's the way I'm going to work.  On a late night plane trip out to the coast, I'm not wearing a suit, but I will wear slacks and a shirt, and I certainly won't be blingin!

I have no problem doing that for $50,000 a year.  And these guys are being payed a lot more than that.  They're even payed more than a lot of people at top-line companies who are executives in the public eye.  When they're on company time, or travelling, they should look good.  Business Casual isn't even a suit.  It's a nice pair of slacks and a clean shirt and decent shoes.  

That's not too much to ask for the privelage of making millions of dollars a year.  If they want to keep it real they can go back to the ghetto and live with the thugs.  If they're going to be role models, they should at least be expected to appear respectable.

:nod:  

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Dress code comments
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2005, 09:28:11 AM »
Problem is, Rick, that the top line executives in the NBA don't have a dress code.  Cuban has already gone on record saying he won't give up his blue jeans & jerseys.  Holt, the Spurs owner, regularly wears jeans & boots to the games.  The NBA is setting a higher standard for their employess than they are for the executives.

Duncan's attitude clearly reflects the culture he grew up in....the Caribbean islands.  When was the last time you saw people in the islands where businness casual?  European players also tend to dress more casual as that fits more into their culture.  

Stern is trying to force Corporate American culture onto a group for which that doesn't fit.  He keeps claiming that he wants the NBA to be international but then comes out with this.  Then there is the whole deal about performers at halftime shows and during the all-star break.  Just look at the music the NBA has been using to market their product.  Not exactly what the board members of Corporate America listen to now is it?

And his comment about "if they don't like it then they will have to decide not to play in the NBA" is pure  :bs: .  If LeBron, Duncan, KG, Amare, Kobe etc decide NOT to play in the NBA then what kind of product will the league put on the floor?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Genghis, the Polar Bear

Dress code comments
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2005, 09:34:17 AM »
If LeBron, Duncan, KG, Amare, Kobe etc decide NOT to play in the NBA then what kind of product will the league put on the floor?

Uh...one where teams and teamwork are promoted instead of individuals?

Corporate dresser

Dress code comments
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2005, 09:57:50 AM »
If LeBron, Duncan, KG, Amare, Kobe etc decide NOT to play in the NBA then what kind of product will the league put on the floor?

and forcing them to dress like Stern is going to promote teamwork? :rofl:

Have a reverse hibernation nap and see how Larry Bird dressed.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Dress code comments
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2005, 10:06:34 AM »

Sounds like the NCAA to me.  And that is only worth watching during March.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

guest-koast

Dress code comments
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2005, 10:28:38 AM »
Problem is, Rick, that the top line executives in the NBA don't have a dress code.  Cuban has already gone on record saying he won't give up his blue jeans & jerseys.  Holt, the Spurs owner, regularly wears jeans & boots to the games.  The NBA is setting a higher standard for their employess than they are for the executives.

Duncan's attitude clearly reflects the culture he grew up in....the Caribbean islands.  When was the last time you saw people in the islands where businness casual?  European players also tend to dress more casual as that fits more into their culture.  

Stern is trying to force Corporate American culture onto a group for which that doesn't fit.  He keeps claiming that he wants the NBA to be international but then comes out with this.  Then there is the whole deal about performers at halftime shows and during the all-star break.  Just look at the music the NBA has been using to market their product.  Not exactly what the board members of Corporate America listen to now is it?

And his comment about "if they don't like it then they will have to decide not to play in the NBA" is pure  :bs: .  If LeBron, Duncan, KG, Amare, Kobe etc decide NOT to play in the NBA then what kind of product will the league put on the floor?
That is what I am saying Lurker.  NBA players are not executives.  In the structure of things they are actually worker bees.  Millions and millions of dollars a year worker bees but they are worker bees nonetheless.

Rick whether they get paid 40,000,000 a year or 40,000 a year that doesn't mean that this rule is not going overboard in certain areas.  So because AI makes 12 million bucks a year he should be fined for being comfortable on a plane ride from Philly to LA at 11 o clock at night?

Funny you mention the marketing the NBA is using.  They are promoting younger players fresh into the league to appeal to the younger generation, they are using songs from hip hop groups like the Black Eyed Peas and pop singers like Christina Agulera, and they are often using hip hop to promote their product.....either by letting a guy like Jay-z take ownership in a team so they can use him to promote their product or by making sure hip hopers are getting tickets to the all-star games.  So what is it.....is it we want to clean up the image of the NBA by making it more adult-oriented with nice strict corporate dress code and "class" or are you trying to appeal to 14 year old kids?  Do you want the game to be International, which includes laid back Europeans from places like Italy, the coast of spain, brazil or do you want it to be geared toward the corporate setting?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Dress code comments
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2005, 10:40:39 AM »
Funny you mention the marketing the NBA is using.  They are promoting younger players fresh into the league to appeal to the younger generation, they are using songs from hip hop groups like the Black Eyed Peas and pop singers like Christina Agulera, and they are often using hip hop to promote their product.....either by letting a guy like Jay-z take ownership in a team so they can use him to promote their product or by making sure hip hopers are getting tickets to the all-star games.  So what is it.....is it we want to clean up the image of the NBA by making it more adult-oriented with nice strict corporate dress code and "class" or are you trying to appeal to 14 year old kids?  Do you want the game to be International, which includes laid back Europeans from places like Italy, the coast of spain, brazil or do you want it to be geared toward the corporate setting?
All the camera shots of Spike Lee attending games.

Spikes threads are not business casual.

guest-koast

Dress code comments
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2005, 10:45:03 AM »
Funny you mention the marketing the NBA is using.  They are promoting younger players fresh into the league to appeal to the younger generation, they are using songs from hip hop groups like the Black Eyed Peas and pop singers like Christina Agulera, and they are often using hip hop to promote their product.....either by letting a guy like Jay-z take ownership in a team so they can use him to promote their product or by making sure hip hopers are getting tickets to the all-star games.  So what is it.....is it we want to clean up the image of the NBA by making it more adult-oriented with nice strict corporate dress code and "class" or are you trying to appeal to 14 year old kids?  Do you want the game to be International, which includes laid back Europeans from places like Italy, the coast of spain, brazil or do you want it to be geared toward the corporate setting?
All the camera shots of Spike Lee attending games.

Spikes threads are not business casual.
Shots of Spike Lee, using Jay-Z's .000005% ownership of the Nets to promote their product on TNT by interviewing him, massive amounts of tickets being sent to famous rappers to goto the all-star game, massive amounts of free products and a special ticket package to hip hop radio stations to promote.  The list goes on and on....hip hop culture is only okay when they want to promote something.

Btw, does anyone who already knows about Kobe's attitude or AI's "backround" think that by putting a suit on these guys that everything is going to be okay?  Is Kobe no longer unfaithfull to his wife because he has a suit on at LAX?  Is Rasheed Wallace no longer a hot headed pot smoker because he has a suit on in traffic on the way to the Pistons arena?

rickortreat

Dress code comments
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2005, 10:52:28 AM »
Owners are more like board members than top-line executives.

Stern is allways in a suit.  All the sportscasters are in suits.  The coaches and GM's are in suits.

If they can do it, why can't the players?  

Oh, my God! It is such a burden!

The NBA players are immature childish whiny brats who think they're better than you are.  The only thing that separtates them from you and me, is that they're taller and more coordinated.  For that they get paid obscene amounts of money, and the league wants them to look good.

Why are you so sympathetic to these guys?  

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Dress code comments
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2005, 11:02:03 AM »
The coaches and GM's are in suits.

Obviously you never saw Doug Moe coach.  Or seen pictures of Dumars attending games.  Or read Kiki's comments.  

"There is no GM dress code. We're not on the bench, luckily. I think if we were, I would have a problem."
-- Nuggets GM Kiki Vandeweghe

Not all coach's wear suits all the time.  And not all GMs either.  And those people can be compared to executives.

Why so sympathetic?  Because I beleive strongly in being judged on your skills and accomplishments.  Judge the book....not the cover.  Without the players would Stern even have his cushy job?
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Dress code comments
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2005, 11:09:22 AM »
Stern is allways in a suit.  All the sportscasters are in suits.  The coaches and GM's are in suits.

And they look like corporate clones.  Kenny, Chuckster and Magic have some cool suits on.  Sometimes.  Sometimes not.  But when they wear them constantly its like an ego contest.  Why don't they wear something other then a suit once in a while?
Stern dresses like the wheezer old fogey corporate suck up he is.

Child molestors on trial are put in "suits" to look *nice* and *proper*.
Does not change what they are on the inside.
So with koasts post and common sense about Spree, Sheed, AI.  Putting them in some corporate suit doesnt change a thing.  Especially on a plane ride. :rolleyes:

We are not sympathetic to the players, rather we are unsympathatic to corporate phony Stern and company.  Why not make Stern dress up like AI?  Stern has no problem profitting from promoting hip/hop NBA culture, lets see him live it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 11:10:16 AM by Reality »

guest-koast

Dress code comments
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2005, 11:09:24 AM »
Owners are more like board members than top-line executives.

Stern is allways in a suit.  All the sportscasters are in suits.  The coaches and GM's are in suits.

Oh, my God! It is such a burden!

The NBA players are immature childish whiny brats who think they're better than you are.  The only thing that separtates them from you and me, is that they're taller and more coordinated.  For that they get paid obscene amounts of money, and the league wants them to look good.

Why are you so sympathetic to these guys?
Rick it almost seems like you are using this because you want to see ball players who make boat loads of money have it stuck to em.  Almost like having them get dressed up to drive to the arena 2 hours before the fans see is justified just because they make alot of money.

I'm not arguing for the players because I dont think the rule by the league is off base except for what ive mentioned before.  What I am pointing out is the hip hop culture, where this kind of dress comes from, is something the NBA uses to promote their product.  I also am pointing out that making them wear suits is not going to clean up any image to anyone who actually follows the game.  Like I said, if Kobe is in a suit on the way to the arena (who mind you is notorious for showing up 3-4 hours early) does that take away the image of him being unfaithfull to his wife?  Does AI wearing a suit on his flight to another city mean that he doesn't hang around the wrong element?  Are we going to forget he tried to pistol whip relatives?  Does putting a suit on Rasheed Wallace before he jumps onto a bus mean that he is no longer a hot head?  Isnt that the point of this rule?  To "clean up the image" of the NBA?

rickortreat

Dress code comments
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2005, 11:13:53 AM »
Not all coach's wear suits all the time. And not all GMs either. And those people can be compared to executives.

Why so sympathetic? Because I beleive strongly in being judged on your skills and accomplishments. Judge the book....not the cover. Without the players would Stern even have his cushy job?

If Stern's rule doesn't apply to GM's there's something wrong.  They had better apply to them.  Yeah, Doug Moe was a slob, but he allways wore a tie, as far as I can remember!

I belive in judgeing somone on their skills too, but in the real world, does the slob or short-looking dresser get the job?  No, it isn't fair but that's the way it is.

And, considering where the league was before Stern, I would say he is responsible for the leagues new success and popularity.