Author Topic: Dress code comments  (Read 6887 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Dress code comments
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2005, 11:36:09 AM »
And, considering where the league was before Stern, I would say he is responsible for the leagues new success and popularity.
No way!

Larry Bird and Magic are 99% responsible for the leagues revitalization in 1980.
That is with Larry Bird looking and dressing offcourt like someone who just came out of a St Louis Cardinal game.

After that Stern rolled the ball to Jordan.  After that the Laker Marketing Machine was recrafted for 2000.  That he can take much credit for.

guest-koast

Dress code comments
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2005, 11:36:46 AM »
Not all coach's wear suits all the time. And not all GMs either. And those people can be compared to executives.

Why so sympathetic? Because I beleive strongly in being judged on your skills and accomplishments. Judge the book....not the cover. Without the players would Stern even have his cushy job?

If Stern's rule doesn't apply to GM's there's something wrong.  They had better apply to them.  Yeah, Doug Moe was a slob, but he allways wore a tie, as far as I can remember!

I belive in judgeing somone on their skills too, but in the real world, does the slob or short-looking dresser get the job?  No, it isn't fair but that's the way it is.

And, considering where the league was before Stern, I would say he is responsible for the leagues new success and popularity.
Playing basketball for a living is not what I consider a real world job.  Do you consider Jason Williams to be a better point guard than Steve Nash because Nash looks like a slob with his hair?  In basketball you do not get a job based on apperance.  Mutumbo was not a starting center because of his apperance.  He was a starting center because of his ability to control the paint.

Tim Duncan, the very definition of classy basketball players, shows up in regular clothes.  I've seen him on the sidelines wearing what I consider Sunday afternoon at home relaxing clothes.  Does that take away from what he does on the court?  If he had a suit on do you think he would shoot 60% from the field as oppose to 50%?

Making them wear suits on the way to practice/game and on the airplane is NOT going to clean up the image of the NBA in the eyes of die-hard or the average fan.  How about making these guys more resposible for actions they take?  How about upping fines and forcing players to do community service work along with it?  How about doing a better job of helping younger players who make mega bucks learn how to manage money isntead of wilding out partying?

Guest_Joe Vancil

Dress code comments
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2005, 11:45:27 AM »
Unbelievable that people who get paid to play are unwilling/unable to do essentially what I was required to do when playing for my HIGH SCHOOL.  (For us, blue jeans (not faded nor torn) and tennis shoes were also acceptable - otherwise, we had the same requirements.)  That included on the bus to and from games.  And there wasn't a one of us that complained.

Next thing you know, the players will complain about the coach requiring them to run sprints in practice.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Dress code comments
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2005, 11:55:41 AM »
I would give more credit to people like Magic, Bird, MJ etc.

Stern has pushed for FISCAL responsibility (you of all the posters should relate to that, Rick) and it has done wonders for making a more stable league.  But without the players the league becomes nothing more than a league full of officially paid NCAAers.  The league wants to recruit the best players...who in many cases come from inner city neighborhoods.  Or more & more from other countries.  And those players don't relate....in dress, music, lifestyle....to the culture that Stern is trying to push.  Stern can destroy as much as he has built by alienating the people that actually PRODUCE the product that he is selling.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Dress code comments
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2005, 12:03:47 PM »
Unbelievable that people who get paid to play are unwilling/unable to do essentially what I was required to do when playing for my HIGH SCHOOL.  (For us, blue jeans (not faded nor torn) and tennis shoes were also acceptable - otherwise, we had the same requirements.)  That included on the bus to and from games.  And there wasn't a one of us that complained.

Next thing you know, the players will complain about the coach requiring them to run sprints in practice.
The key, Joe, is on the bus to & from games.  But did they dictate what you could wear travelling from your home to the school to catch the bus?  If you didn't follow the dress code you didn't play...and it didn't cost the school anything.

In the NBA they are HIRED to play.  And the way they dress has little bearing on customers (fans) buying the product (games/soveniers).  Comparing it to the "real world" work where customers may make decisions based on how the seller of the product/service looks is not a valid argument.  If people stopped attending games because they don't like the way players dressed in the hotels then I could see an argument for a dress code.  Then changes would be needed to promote sales.  But this dress code doesn't have any impact on the sales of the product.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

guest-koast

Dress code comments
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2005, 12:14:20 PM »
I would give more credit to people like Magic, Bird, MJ etc.

Stern has pushed for FISCAL responsibility (you of all the posters should relate to that, Rick) and it has done wonders for making a more stable league.  But without the players the league becomes nothing more than a league full of officially paid NCAAers.  The league wants to recruit the best players...who in many cases come from inner city neighborhoods.  Or more & more from other countries.  And those players don't relate....in dress, music, lifestyle....to the culture that Stern is trying to push.  Stern can destroy as much as he has built by alienating the people that actually PRODUCE the product that he is selling.
Dead on with this one Lurker.

The use hip hop culture to promote their product but feel the fashion side of that very same culture is ruining their product?  If they want to improve the game for the fan how about spending more time lowering ticket prices than wasting it on making sure Lebron James isnt wearing a 700 pair of Avisou jeans.

Graphic Artist Wanted

Dress code comments
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2005, 01:28:46 PM »
Can some of you with techno skillz put up a picture of Stern decked out in hip hop gear.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Dress code comments
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2005, 02:23:19 PM »
Can some of you with techno skillz put up a picture of Stern decked out in hip hop gear.
Don't know where to get one but Best Damn Sports Show had a great pic of Stern  all tattoed with baggy clothes & plenty of bling.  It was  :rofl:  :rofl:  
-Moody Blues

rickortreat

Dress code comments
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2005, 02:28:57 PM »
Without the NBA, where would Bird or Magic have gone?

The players make the game, but without the NBA there would be no game.

Before the NBA, basketball was just a college game, and had a very limited audience.

If Bird and Magic tried to start a league, they never would have gotten anywhere.  It takes a lot of time and effort to make a sports league successful.

If not Bird and Magic or MJ, it would have been someone else.

The NBA is big business,  TV contracts, Corporate Boxes, NBA gear... it's a money making machine, and the reason it works is because of people like us who watch the games and pay money to see these guys play.

We wouldn't have missed Bird and Magic if they weren't in the league.  The league would have found other stars.

The league makes the stars, and compensates them very well.  Magic would have wound up working for GM on an assembly line, and Bird would have ended up a famer without the NBA.

These guys can damn well wear suits!  

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Dress code comments
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2005, 03:17:53 PM »
And without the stars how much money do you think TV & the corporate sponsers would spend?  Do you think the TV money came first or that TV was willing to pony up the bucks because of exciting stars that audiences would tune in to see?  Do you think the NBA took in some of the ABA teams because they felt like being compassionate?  And if the stars refused to play in the NBA but played in the Euro leagues instead where do you think the TV money would go?  Still into the pockets of the NBA owners?
-Moody Blues

Guest_Joe Vancil

Dress code comments
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2005, 04:05:41 PM »
The key, Joe, is on the bus to & from games. But did they dictate what you could wear travelling from your home to the school to catch the bus? If you didn't follow the dress code you didn't play...and it didn't cost the school anything.

*OF* *COURSE*, they did.  When I came from home, I came dressed up - whether that was to our gym for the game, or to our school to catch the bus.  On days when we left directly after school, all of the players came to school dressed up.

And, individually, you're right;  people didn't come to the gym to see me play - they came to see the Holcomb High School team play.  And if the team didn't play, the school didn't collect the admission from the games.  Granted, it was like $.50-$1.50 a ticket rather than $40 for nosebleeds, but then again, I didn't receive a cent from the school, either.

I still don't get the problem.

Joe

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Dress code comments
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2005, 04:40:20 PM »
There were probably at least a dozen players willing and ready to take your place on the high school team...and without a noticeable drop off in overall game play.
And as far as seeing the problem...turn the question around.  What's the problem with the status quo?
-Moody Blues

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dress code comments
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2005, 05:12:44 PM »
I'll be honest.  I don't quite understand this comment.

The NBA is the third most popular professional sports league in the States (behind the NFL and MLB).  Are you saying they've gained fans while remaining number three?  Or are you testifying that they've jumped over baseball?
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

rickortreat

Dress code comments
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2005, 08:16:58 AM »
It is apparent that most of you don't see what it is that makes a player a star.  You seem to think it is what they do on the court.   But that is not in fact the case!

Talent and superior skill are necessary, since without that, there's no basis for stardom.  But beyond an above-average ability, what separates one player from another is marketing! :up:

The NBA influences broadcasters to focus on one player and make note of his exceptional skill.  Even though there are others on the court with simillar unique qualities, this one gets more attention.  Not only is his name called more, but advertizers latch on, and put his visage in the public eye.  The NBA cultivates this image, and attempts to turn the player into a role model, someone that everyone wants to emulate...."like mike, I want to be like....."

Not all players make it to this point,  the better you are for a longer period of time, the more the hype seems to fit.  Not only that, but your conduct off the court now becomes an issue.  You are being positioned to be a role model.  You are being postioned to be a shill for consumer products.  You are in line to make more money as an advertizing object than you ever will be payed to play the game!

:nod:

And now, my little dumb-ass,  which one of you will become the darling of the NBA, the one who gets the lions share of the endorsements?  Anyone of a number of players will do, and if you don't make it because you can't keep your dick in your pants, or because you get into fights in bars, or because you make lewd or obnoxious comments, it's not going to be YOU!

We're looking for stable players with a professional demeanor and attention to detail, like working hard, being on time, communicating in a considerate manner, and dressing to impress.

After all, we're grooming you to make hundreds of millions in product endorsements.  The last thing we need is to invest a fortune in your image to have ourselves being embarrassed by your conduct off the court.  We don't want another Kobe!

That's not the image we want associated with our product or our company.  NOW DO YOU GET IT, DIPSHIT?!?!?  :eek2:

If we're going to hype you and your skills and get the masses to do this  :hail:

We expect you to cultivate an image that promotes worthy qualities that others will emulate.  Not everyone can be a great basketball player, but they can dress like you, and wear your shoes!  And we want you to wear the products that we want to sell, to the people who have the MONEY TO BUY THEM!

Poor people in the Ghetto don't have the money to spend the little rich white boys do.  We can make a lot more money, and so can you, if we sell to them.  SO wear the fuckin suit you DOPE!  Look good in it and wear it with pride, so we can use you as a role model who wears nice clothes.  Then we can sell all the people who want to be like you clothes that make them look good.

We're tired of just selling sneakers and softdrinks. There's only so much of a market for hip-hop, and most of the white boys parents aren't down with that. There are so many everyday products we could sell, if only you presented a respectable enough image!

Is that keepin' it real enough for you MORON?   :huh:  

Guest_Randy

Dress code comments
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2005, 11:07:00 AM »
Rick,

Take a deep breath and exhale -- I don't think there is any need to call names -- with the exception of one person on this board, I think everyone pretty much respects each other.  I don't think you need to take this personally.

Magic and Bird put the NBA on the map (they carried their NCAA success over into the NBA and people stayed with the NBA because of it) -- MJ continued it -- but IMO, NOBODY can dispute that Stern has marketed the NBA well.

IMO, the NBA has some SERIOUS marketing problems and they have been losing fans -- Stern is trying to take some steps to correct that problem.

I'm not sure that I think that players need to dress up on a plane or to the game but how many times have players looked like they are slobs during aftergame intereviews?  

I think Stern went a little too far but perhaps he is giving some leeway to make a correction -- who knows what's in Sterns mind.  I don't agree with him but he IS a smart guy!