Author Topic: Passion of the Christ  (Read 10424 times)

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Passion of the Christ
« on: February 25, 2004, 04:07:09 PM »
Today's the big premier, anybody plan on seeing it?  Heard this morning that many parents were taking young children (5 and 6 year olds), cmon, let's use some good judgement people!   :blink:

I plan on seeing it when all the hoopla dies down.
Paul

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Passion of the Christ
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 04:16:15 PM »
Same here. I'm not big into blood and gore, but I'm going to see the movie, maybe for the same reason I saw Amistad, Schindler's List, Saving My Privates, etc. I don't know; I'm just curious.

Taking young children to it is just plain stupid. Some parents are just way too zealous. :wacko:  
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 04:17:58 PM by Ted »
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Passion of the Christ
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 04:31:34 PM »
I don't know if this is true or not....

Some radio guy was saying he saw the move but it was ruined for him in the first 30 seconds at the particular theatre he saw it at.  After all the previews it looked like the movie started with the crusifixion scene.  It's near dusk and the camera is near the ground looking up at Jesus on the cross.  It's a very dramatic scene and the camara moves up the cross showing you the painful way Christ is nailed to it.  The camera then stops and zooms in on Christ's face.  JC then slowly opens his eyes and looks into the camera and says "For Christs sake turn off your cell phone."  :lol:

I don't know if the guy made that up or not.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Passion of the Christ
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 04:33:03 PM »
On my way back from the OC last night a talk show was all into it.
Some ranking Jew was all up in arms and cryin sterotype because parts of the movie portray the Jewish High Priests and co. as being the instigators and loudest howlers especially at the climactic time when Pontius Pilate wanted to release Christ.
I might add this part is competely accurate.  
His whining continued that they were portrayed with big noses, small heads and just plain ugly.  Im not kidding.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
Passion of the Christ
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 04:36:58 PM »
I don't know if this is true or not....

Some radio guy was saying he saw the move but it was ruined for him in the first 30 seconds at the particular theatre he saw it at.  After all the previews it looked like the movie started with the crusifixion scene.  It's near dusk and the camera is near the ground looking up at Jesus on the cross.  It's a very dramatic scene and the camara moves up the cross showing you the painful way Christ is nailed to it.  The camera then stops and zooms in on Christ's face.  JC then slowly opens his eyes and looks into the camera and says "For Christs sake turn off your cell phone."  :lol:

I don't know if the guy made that up or not.
That's funny!  Something tells me that God has a sense of humor, and would find that funny! :lol:  
Paul

jn

Passion of the Christ
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 04:38:15 PM »
I was feeling a bit of a conundrum about seeing this, then Mel solved it for me.  The problem was that it would be unfair of me to judge this movie without seeing it, but on the other hand I didn't want my money going towards supporting something that has been used for such vile purposes before.

After seeing Mel's hypocrisy on full display in the Diane Sawyer interview I am comfortable in staying away.  He talks about "Let's get a dialogue going, let's get it all out on the table" but when asked about his Holocaust denying father who thinks the current Pope is illegitimage and that all non-Catholics, (and even Catholics who don't perform Mass in Latin) are burning in Hell, Mel gets offended and won't even repudiate those noxious views.  He just said "Don't even go there. He's my father and I love him, okay."  Would it have been so hard to say "He's my father and I love him, but I don't think the Holocaust was made up by an international conspiracy that has now installed the current, illegitimate Pope."?

As for the content, well, if I want emotional fiction I can find plenty that doesn't masquerade as history and provoke division and even murder among my fellow humans.  

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
Passion of the Christ
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 04:46:27 PM »
all non-Catholics, (and even Catholics who don't perform Mass in Latin) are burning in Hell, Mel gets offended and won't even repudiate those noxious views. 

And to THINK...all THOSE YEARS of not eating meat on Wednesdays and Fridays, for all those years...all for what!!?? :angry:   :angry:  :lol:

That's BS, but its true. Everybody thinks their religion is THE ONE.  Even though most of us, when we think about it, all have the same basis of belief and  worship the same God anyway! :lol:  
Paul

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
Passion of the Christ
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 04:52:09 PM »
I don't get all of the uproar between Christian and Jew when it comes to the Crucifixion. Are people out there so simple that they actually believe that Jerry Seinfeld killed Jesus Christ? This happened 2000 years ago, and not one Jew living today can possibly be held responsible for it?

The Christians who hate Jews because of the Crucifixion are criminally ignorant. Christians believe we ALL have part in Christ's suffering. Damn! I just get so mad that people can be so dumb! :angry:  

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
Passion of the Christ
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004, 05:03:56 PM »
I was feeling a bit of a conundrum about seeing this, then Mel solved it for me.  The problem was that it would be unfair of me to judge this movie without seeing it, but on the other hand I didn't want my money going towards supporting something that has been used for such vile purposes before.
Yeah, Mel's interview was ultra-lame, almost neurotic. It kind of freaked me out, because it seemed for a bit that he was on something, especially when he was talking about his past struggles, depression, etc. I would have liked to hear an answer to that question, too. But I don't think the fact that he didn't answer it proves he agrees with his father. But the adversarial way he reacted was weird, made me suspicious.

I hadn't heard where the money from this movie is going? Is it going to be used for something bad? Or is it just bad because it goes back to Mel?

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
Passion of the Christ
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2004, 05:10:55 PM »
This just in...

KAKE TV in Wichita, Kansas set to report a woman, in her 50s, suffered a heart attack and DIED during a morning screening of Mel Gibson's controversial film PASSION OF THE CHRIST. "She later died at the hospital," a station source tells the DRUDGE REPORT. Scheduled to be lead story on the station's 5 PM news. "She went into seizure during one of the film's most dramatic moments," a station source explains.

Allegedly, JC says "for Christ's sake, turn off your CEL PHONE!  Not your PACE MAKER!  :lol: :wacko:  
Paul

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Passion of the Christ
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2004, 06:34:52 PM »
As for the content, well, if I want emotional fiction I can find plenty that doesn't masquerade as history and provoke division and even murder among my fellow humans.

There is plenty of tape, including newsreels such as the coverage of 9/11, that provoke division and murder amongst our fellow human beings.

As for the Passion of Christ, the one thing we all should remember is that this entire story is based directly on the New Testament. Everything in the movie is in the book.

That does not mean it won't cause some people to get upset and possibly mad at Jews over it....some people really haven't a clue. Because if you think about it, there would be no Christianity if Christ did not die on the cross. It was the whole point of his life - to die and to ascend to Heaven, opening up His realm to all. That God allowed the Jews to be responsible for it is what we should find the most interesting. The Jews are Gods chosen people, after all. That was a heck of a responsibility. All Christians should thank whoever for giving them their believes.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 06:35:51 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Passion of the Christ
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2004, 06:38:23 PM »
when asked about his Holocaust denying father who thinks the current Pope is illegitimage and that all non-Catholics, (and even Catholics who don't perform Mass in Latin) are burning in Hell, Mel gets offended and won't even repudiate those noxious views.  He just said "Don't even go there. He's my father and I love him, okay."

I didn't see the interview.  At the same time, this isn't and shouldn't be about Mel Gibson's father.  The reality is the New York Times have been attacking the film, and Gibson's father for quite some time.  I think it is reasonable for Gibson to be a little defensive about his father, and for him to wish to keep his father out of the discussion.
From what I have heard, Gibson's father's beliefs are way out there, but that has nothing to do with the film.  In many ways the attacks on his father are reminisant of McCarthy's tactics.  The old guilt by association tactic.  "Your fathers a kook, so if you don't stand up and say so then you are too, and your film is trash".  If this film was about the holocaust, then perhaps his fathers beliefs about the holocaust would have some relevance.
This is a film that is Mel Gibson's vision of what happened.  The film should be judged on it's own merit.  The notion that this film is going to cause all manner of the worlds Christians to rise up against the Jews is really inflamitory when you think about it.  If this is truely a concern then why didn't African Americans rise up and try and kill whites after watching Amistad?  Why didn't all the Jews rise up and start killing Germans after watching Schindler's List?  Why didn't all American rise up and start killing Japanese after watching Pearl Harbor?  The notion that many of those on the left would actually believe that shows both their shallowness and their fear and hatred of religion and those who believe.
I also wonder where all the kooky Hollywood lefties are at.  We get Alec Badwin, Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, Janeane Garafalo all the time standing up and supporting the rights of all measure of smut peddlers to peddle their smut, and for all of us to support it through National Endowment for The Arts, because it is ART.  Yet when an Artist like Mel Gibson is being attacked, they are suspicously hidden.  What a disgusting bunch of hypocrits.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
Passion of the Christ
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2004, 08:48:28 PM »
I saw an interview with Mel last week in which he clearly stated that he does not agree with his father about the the Holocaust. He considers the Holocaust a grand scale tragedy that resulted in the torture and killing of millions of Jews. If he seemed curt in the interview you saw it has more to do with the fact that the newshounds refuse to let the issue drop, and I think Mel is tired of being put on the hot seat on account of things his dad said.  

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Passion of the Christ
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2004, 08:45:35 PM »
I must admit I find the hand wringing and abject hatred and desperation of the left over the movie fascinating.
First they didn't want anybody to go see it because of the fear it was going to be horribly anti-semetic, which from all I have read it isn't.
Then they didn't want anyboy to see it because it was going to be the horrible reaction towards Jews, violence etc.  None of that has occured.
Now no one should go see it because it is such a violent movie.  It is "disturbing in the graphic violence it portrays", "it is perhaps the most violent movie ever", blah, blah, blah.

They, the left, led by the NY Times are so up in arms.  They are the same people who are so concerned about offending people by all manner of various things (US flags in windows, nativity scenes in public squares, any mention of religion in public), and now they are coming to the defense of all who may be offended by this movie.  Yet they didn't come out in defense of anyone who was offended by "The Last Temptation of Christ", or art in the Metropolitan Museam of Modren Art depicting the Virgin Mary made out of elephant dung.

It is quite clear that they have a horrible fear of this movie.  The left has an almost pathological fear of this movie, and the message it is trying to portray.  This is similar to the fear of the radicalized left in France of people wearing religious symbols in school.

It is fascinating to watch the radicalized left squirm.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
Passion of the Christ
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2004, 08:52:51 PM »
I'm "LEFT" and a "Liberal"  and I have no objections to the film whatsoever. :P  
Paul