Author Topic: FINLEY PICKS SPURS!!!!!!!!!  (Read 6441 times)

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
FINLEY PICKS SPURS!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2005, 11:51:10 AM »
I think any player who plays a significant part in winning the championship compared to the level of skills they have EARNS a ring.

In other words, had the 2004 Lakers won, both Malone and Payton would have earned their rings, as would players like Fisher, Fox, Devean George, Luke Walton, etc.

Had the Pistons won this year, I'd argue that Antonio McDyess earned his ring, as did Lindsey Hunter, and all of the Piston starters.  I'd argue that folks like Arroyo earned his ring.  But Darko, who did nothing yet whose skills say he should be doing more, rode coattails.

Richmond and Rider road coattails.  Salley earned his ring with the Lakers;  he played every minute his skills dictated that he played.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2005, 11:51:34 AM »
Oh, I definately agree, Dan.  The Spurs have solidified their status as favorites...but are not any closer to a "LOCK" than the Lakers were after the Malone/Payton signings.

Randy....let's talk about the Lakers signing of John Salley.  Now there was a coattail riding if there ever was one.  If Finley averages 15-18 minutes and produces in line with his per minute averages over the past couple seasons is that "earning" his ring?  Or does he have to replace a starter?  What if he wins Sixth Man award?  At what point do you differentiate between "coattail riding" and "earning" a ring?
We can use the Lakers as an example kind of.

Had the Lakers won the title with GP/Malone I would have stated Malone earned it while GP road coat tails.

Salley/Rider/Richmond definately road coat tails while guys like Fox/Horry/Fisher have earned their rings.
That is sort of my point.  You can't say he (or NVE) is riding coattails until after the fact.  If either plays a regular role in the top 8 man rotation then I would say they earned their ring.  But if they are one of the 4 guys who wave towels as their primary game contribution then they rode coattails.  Can't make that call until next June.....
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2005, 11:53:25 AM »
Doesnt matter if a player comes to a championship team who won it without him.....if Finley is playing solid defense and doing exactly what his role requires him to do then he is earning it.  Just like Manu, Parker, Barry, Duncan, etc.  If you contribute the way you are asked to contribute by the coaching staff you are not riding coattails.

If you are a guy who never steps foot on the floor but in garbage time then you are riding coat tails.

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2005, 11:53:39 AM »
also Randy, stop copying the entire previous 5 posts, huh?
You had TD picked to lose against the Marketers from 1999-2005 so have a cup.

Plenty of people jumped off the Spurs bandwagon when TD got hurt and Shaun Elliot got kidney disease.  I called Manu from Day One.  You are STILL clueless as to Manu.

Randy you are puffy, bloated and irritable today.
Read LFDs post and emulate.  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2005, 12:16:39 PM »
also Randy, stop copying the entire previous 5 posts, huh?
You had TD picked to lose against the Marketers from 1999-2005 so have a cup.

Plenty of people jumped off the Spurs bandwagon when TD got hurt and Shaun Elliot got kidney disease.  I called Manu from Day One.  You are STILL clueless as to Manu.

Randy you are puffy, bloated and irritable today.
Read LFDs post and emulate.
Your reality is so twisted I know longer have any idea where you are coming from!!!

Wait, you picked the Spurs for all those years the Lakers won, right?  What does that do to your "greatness"  :puke: !  You want to know when a person is great?  It's when OTHERS tell him he is great -- it's not when he has to hang a banner out for himself!!!  There are a TON of players in the NBA, NFL, etc., etc. who think they are great -- but when they are REALLY great, others say that about them.  Notice you are the ONLY person saying how great you are?

And what difference did it make if I was here picking the Lakers -- I guess if you can't refute, deflect is the next best thing, huh?  Is there anyone here calling me a bandwagon fan?  Nope!  

As for not jumping off the bandwagon when TD got hurt -- it's not like he got permanently injured -- it was ONE season!  As for Elliott, Elliott is one of my favorite players of all time (I just ignore the fact that he played for the Spurs) but he was a role player (although a very good one) who could be replaced.

As for being clueless on Manu -- Manu is a very good player but he's not as good as you think he is (of course, that applies with every player on the Spurs team -- and one who plays for the Knicks) -- of course, nobody on the Spurs team is with the exception of TD.  Manu is still inconsistent -- of course, you simply apply the "injury" excuse any time he shows his inconsistency!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2005, 12:35:25 PM »
Your reality is so twisted I know longer have any idea where you are coming from!!!
That means i'm still doing things the right way.

I get tons of email from lurking board members.  They think I'm great.

Michael Finley is a Spur.  Sing it out now.  Michael Finley is a Spur.  

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2005, 12:47:24 PM »
I dont care what any of you say, I loe this pick up.  I know there are risks - look at the protland teams from years back that touted "two starting line-ups" they bit, and bit hard.  and of course there is the Lakers dream team with malone and payton.  But I will tell you what we dont have that those teams DID have - hateration!  Kobe -Shaq (malone having to play daddy with them) - and payton hating the trianlge and refusing to follow it.  Portland was plagued over how wanted to start and minutes, etc as far as i remember that situation.  Finlay makes a great addition to a groups of "good guys."  no squabbling, no hate, no whinning..... just a whole lot of learning to play together and winning games on the way to the finals.  chances are heavily in our favpr to win it this year now - of course that can change, TD goes out with injury, etc.  you never know.  I still think that if a player wants to win, he will go where he can win - he already has the money situation locked down - why worry about anything else?  legacy?  I think at this point in his career Fin doesn't want to leave the league as one of the best to NOT win a ring.  he can get his ring, and will more then likely move on to another team after next season.  Don't knock him because he wants the glory.  He still has time to move on and help another team if he wants to down the road.  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2005, 12:52:19 PM »
That means i'm still doing things the right way.

I get tons of email from lurking board members.  They think I'm great.

Michael Finley is a Spur.  Sing it out now.  Michael Finley is a Spur.
Yep, you're a legend in your own mind!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2005, 12:58:46 PM »
Yep, you're a legend
Michael row the trophy ashore, Do do DOOOO doo
Michael row the trophy ashore, Do dut dooo doooo do.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2005, 01:04:30 PM »
I didnt say it was a bad pick up...I said it was a good one x3.

Btw, I got your message this morning and I added you to my google talk list!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 01:06:23 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2005, 01:17:29 PM »
"road" COATTAILS?  That's AWFUL.  And the worst part is that is was ME who did it!

I've been stuggling with "its" and "it's" lately, and I've started misusing other words which sound alike but are spelled differently, and I've brushed it off for the most part - but this is AWFUL!  And the freaking
"Pippen/Detroit" thing the other day?  That's just sad.  I used to be a GOOD writer.

All kidding aside, this is actually starting to get worrysome.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2005, 01:31:41 PM »
"road" COATTAILS?  That's AWFUL.  And the worst part is that is was ME who did it!

I've been stuggling with "its" and "it's" lately, and I've started misusing other words which sound alike but are spelled differently, and I've brushed it off for the most part - but this is AWFUL!  And the freaking
"Pippen/Detroit" thing the other day?  That's just sad.  I used to be a GOOD writer.

All kidding aside, this is actually starting to get worrysome.
Writing is a lift that keeps on lifting.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Guest_Randy

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2005, 01:48:17 PM »
I dont care what any of you say, I loe this pick up.  I know there are risks - look at the protland teams from years back that touted "two starting line-ups" they bit, and bit hard.  and of course there is the Lakers dream team with malone and payton.  But I will tell you what we dont have that those teams DID have - hateration!  Kobe -Shaq (malone having to play daddy with them) - and payton hating the trianlge and refusing to follow it.  Portland was plagued over how wanted to start and minutes, etc as far as i remember that situation.  Finlay makes a great addition to a groups of "good guys."  no squabbling, no hate, no whinning..... just a whole lot of learning to play together and winning games on the way to the finals.  chances are heavily in our favpr to win it this year now - of course that can change, TD goes out with injury, etc.  you never know.  I still think that if a player wants to win, he will go where he can win - he already has the money situation locked down - why worry about anything else?  legacy?  I think at this point in his career Fin doesn't want to leave the league as one of the best to NOT win a ring.  he can get his ring, and will more then likely move on to another team after next season.  Don't knock him because he wants the glory.  He still has time to move on and help another team if he wants to down the road.
I didn't say it was a bad move by SA -- I said it was a bad move by Finley.  

Don't knock him because he wants the glory.

Personally, I think signing with the Spurs doesn't get him any glory -- it gets him a ring.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2005, 03:31:56 PM »
I didnt say it was a bad pick up...I said it was a good one x3.

Btw, I got your message this morning and I added you to my google talk list!
sorry i was directing towards randy and joe more so...sorry about that.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.