Author Topic: FINLEY PICKS SPURS!!!!!!!!!  (Read 6438 times)

Guest_Randy

FINLEY PICKS SPURS!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2005, 09:29:47 AM »
Legacy?

:unsure: No, I think for most of today's NBA players, it's simply about a ring.
I totally disagree -- I think this proves that Finley is the exception to the rule.  SAR is more of the "rule" in todays ego-ecentric NBA.  He wasn't going to go to some club (like SA) where he wasn't needed and play back-up.  Most stars AREN'T going to do it -- they want to earn the ring, not have it handed to them.

By "legacy" I infer that most people will question whether Finley earns a ring or simply rides on the coattails of the NBA champions.  Most players will go to great lengths to make sure that isn't thought of them.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2005, 09:33:57 AM »
if the Spurs weren't the favorite before, definately should be now. 

So if Finley does nothing to help the Spurs, why do you upgrade them from

"if the Spurs weren't the favorite before, definately should be now."?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 09:34:22 AM by Reality »

Guest_Randy

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2005, 09:43:11 AM »
I never stated that Finley wouldn't help the Spurs -- what I did say was that the Spurs don't NEED Finley.  If the Spurs needed Finley, they wouldn't have won a title without him last year.

I think the biggest way that Finley helps the Spurs is by not tipping the scales over to Miami (I would have chosen Miami as the favorites had Finley gone to Miami).  Finley will, obviously, play well in SA no matter where he plays and no matter how many minutes he plays.  

But it doesn't change what I said earlier:  If a player goes to a team that doesn't need him (and won a title without him), then does that player actually earn a ring or does he simply ride on the coattails?  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2005, 10:22:28 AM »
So the question of whether or not he "earns" it as Lurker pointed out with Yao, not to be determined by your expectation.

Most NBA players want cashe first, second and third.  If you offer them ZERO minutes per game but double their salary, watch them come a runnin to the team that offers such.

The 2006 season is not over.  Suppose you and Tanya Harding hack GNob on his knee.  Now Finley will play more minutes.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2005, 10:49:06 AM »
You never cease to remain the idiot!

The 2006 season is not over. Suppose you and Tanya Harding hack GNob on his knee. Now Finley will play more minutes.

This doesn't even merit response!

As for "earning" it or not -- I asked a question:  
If a player goes to a team that doesn't need him (and won a title without him), then does that player actually earn a ring or does he simply ride on the coattails?  

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2005, 10:59:48 AM »
Personally I offer congrats to Spurs fans, a nice pickup, and a good summer for you guys.

Now I will offer one caveat, we were offering the trophy to the Lakers (see Jomal, I HAVE to include them in every post) when the signed Payton and Malone, yeah that worked out REAL well, didn't it? Finley will have no choice but to play limited minutes, unless, as has been suggested, he will be offered a starters positon, hmmm, who would that be on a team already loaded with starter talent? I agree with Randy, SF would be a mistake, hmmm, where are they going to put him? looks like you just signed a very expensive bench player, (really trying to put a negative spin on this, it's not working).

Am I bitter? Not exactly, just unbelievably envious of the wealth of talent the Spurs have to sort through on their way to the trophy this year, I wish the Lakers had just such problems.

It's going to be a lonnnnnng season for the rest of the NBA.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 11:54:11 AM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2005, 11:05:57 AM »
You never cease to remain the idiot!

The 2006 season is not over. Suppose you and Tanya Harding hack GNob on his knee. Now Finley will play more minutes.

This doesn't even merit response!

As for "earning" it or not -- I asked a question:  
If a player goes to a team that doesn't need him (and won a title without him), then does that player actually earn a ring or does he simply ride on the coattails?
You actually understood his post?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2005, 11:08:46 AM »
Oh, I definately agree, Dan.  The Spurs have solidified their status as favorites...but are not any closer to a "LOCK" than the Lakers were after the Malone/Payton signings.

Randy....let's talk about the Lakers signing of John Salley.  Now there was a coattail riding if there ever was one.  If Finley averages 15-18 minutes and produces in line with his per minute averages over the past couple seasons is that "earning" his ring?  Or does he have to replace a starter?  What if he wins Sixth Man award?  At what point do you differentiate between "coattail riding" and "earning" a ring?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2005, 11:09:39 AM »
Personally I offer congrats to Spurs fans, a nice pickup, and a good summer for you guys.

Am I bitter? Not exactly, just unbelievably envious of the wealth of talent the Spurs have sort through on their way to the trophy this year, with the Lakers had just such problems.

It's going to be a lonnnnnng season for the rest of the NBA.
Randy see how easy that was.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2005, 11:13:31 AM »
They guy who should be bitter is Reality.  Had Finely gone to Miami, Pheonix or Indy we would have had one hell of a playoffs match up.  The deck is really stacked in the Spurs favor right now.  All those other teams would have used Finley as a starter.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Guest_Randy

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2005, 11:23:39 AM »
They guy who should be bitter is Reality.  Had Finely gone to Miami, Pheonix or Indy we would have had one hell of a playoffs match up.  The deck is really stacked in the Spurs favor right now.  All those other teams would have used Finley as a starter.
Umm, WOW, Reality's comments are never directed towards the Spurs -- they are the exception to the twisted version of Reality.  

He doesn't really care about players, the playoffs or the NBA -- he only wants to beat his chest about how great his team, the ___________, is (it's easier to post a fill-in-the-blank, so we can all use whiteout when he jumps to another bandwagon).

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2005, 11:30:51 AM »
They guy who should be bitter is Reality.  Had Finely gone to Miami, Pheonix or Indy we would have had one hell of a playoffs match up.  The deck is really stacked in the Spurs favor right now.  All those other teams would have used Finley as a starter.
Umm, WOW, Reality's comments are never directed towards the Spurs -- they are the exception to the twisted version of Reality.  

He doesn't really care about players, the playoffs or the NBA -- he only wants to beat his chest about how great his team, the ___________, is (it's easier to post a fill-in-the-blank, so we can all use whiteout when he jumps to another bandwagon).
Celtics, Sonics, Spurs, ____ .

WOW you are correct.  Earlier I wanted Ray Allen to sign with the Heat.  He made Randy happy and stayed in Seattle.

Indeed I'm all about good matchups.  When the Spurs win it, so much the better.

Ah, pickin winners.  Incidentally that biz party i invited you to.  You Snoozed!  Half a billion shares doled out.

Actually i couldn't get you any.  I couldn't get myself any either. :cry:  :cry:  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2005, 11:32:33 AM »
Oh, I definately agree, Dan.  The Spurs have solidified their status as favorites...but are not any closer to a "LOCK" than the Lakers were after the Malone/Payton signings.

Randy....let's talk about the Lakers signing of John Salley.  Now there was a coattail riding if there ever was one.  If Finley averages 15-18 minutes and produces in line with his per minute averages over the past couple seasons is that "earning" his ring?  Or does he have to replace a starter?  What if he wins Sixth Man award?  At what point do you differentiate between "coattail riding" and "earning" a ring?
John Salley IS a good example -- I had forgotten him.  Salley did play back-up minutes and while he was serviceable the Lakers could have used a half-dozen other players in his stead.

Finley is DEFINATELY an upgrade for the Spurs -- I'm not discounting that he is a great player even still at his age.  And if Pop can find him the minutes, I have no doubt that Finley will play great for the Spurs (he's never had the opportunity to play with a legit big man).  My only point was that the Spurs really don't "need" him -- of course, they want him (only a FOOL looks a gift horse in the mouth -- not to mention that I'm sure they like their chances against Miami without Finley a lot more than with him).  But the Spurs won a title without him and therefore don't need him to earn a title -- does that mean he "earns" his rings or is he just riding on the coattails?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2005, 11:34:11 AM »

We can use the Lakers as an example kind of.

Had the Lakers won the title with GP/Malone I would have stated Malone earned it while GP road coat tails.

Salley/Rider/Richmond definately road coat tails while guys like Fox/Horry/Fisher have earned their rings.

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Guest_Randy

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2005, 11:37:38 AM »
They guy who should be bitter is Reality.  Had Finely gone to Miami, Pheonix or Indy we would have had one hell of a playoffs match up.  The deck is really stacked in the Spurs favor right now.  All those other teams would have used Finley as a starter.

Celtics, Sonics, Spurs, ____ .

WOW you are correct.  Earlier I wanted Ray Allen to sign with the Heat.  He made Randy happy and stayed in Seattle.

Indeed I'm all about good matchups.  When the Spurs win it, so much the better.

Ah, pickin winners.  Incidentally that biz party i invited you to.  You Snoozed!  Half a billion shares doled out.

Actually i couldn't get you any.  I couldn't get myself any either. :cry:  :cry:
 :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Picking winners?  This is just WAYYY too funny!

How many people stated that the Spurs were going to be a top team JUST because they drafted TD?  It doesn't take any kind of a forecaster to know that TD was going to be an NBA stud and take the Spurs to the promise land at SOME point in the future!  And Pop did a great job of drafting some talented foreigners to place around him in Manu and Parker, not to mention adding some great veterans (Bowen, Horry).  Pop has made his mistakes (see Rasho, Anthony Carter, etc.) but he's done a great job as GM.  However, propping yourself for choosing the Spurs after they drafted TD is lame!