Author Topic: Difference between games in SA and LA  (Read 3482 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Difference between games in SA and LA
« on: May 10, 2004, 12:42:57 AM »
It's about energy and desire.  Games 1 and 2 the Spurs had it, game 3 the Lakers had it.

In games 1 and 2 the Spurs played very good basketball and Lakers looked like they were going through the motions YET managed to stay in the game.  Then the 4th qaurter lock down from the Spurs and it sealed the deal.

In game 3 the Lakers looked fired up and the Spurs looked off balance, in fact the Lakers looked nearly perfect unstoppable BUT when you looked at the score board it was only a 9 to 11 point lead.  That was troublesome because you expected the Laker energy to drop off.  Even when the Laker energy dropped and the Spurs made a run they only got as close as 13 points, whereas the Lakers got withing 3-5 points and in some cases even had the lead in the 4th.

The only major difference was that the Lakers closed the show with more than half of the 4th qaurter still left to be played and the Spurs closed it out with 3-4 minutes.  I really don't know what that says overall for either team.

So far only ONE team has played with fire and energy in every game and that team has gone on to win.  I'm not sure what's going to happen from here on out, both teams are very likely to collapse but the Lakers have more of a RECENT history of that happening.  I think if BOTH teams played with the same fire it will be one for the ages and I would put my money on the Lakers.  I just don't know if the Lakers have it in them to play a full 48 minutes like that again let alone for three more games.  But if the first two games are any indication the Lakers can get outplayed and still have a shot at a victory late in the 4th quarter, the Spurs on the other hand cannot play without that fire and still be in the game halfway thru the 4th.

Nite beyatches!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

sf101

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 07:54:58 AM »
Yep. SA clearly imposed their will and their game on LA in game 1 and 2, it was LA imposing thier will in game 3. Can't wait for tomorrow, THANKS NBA FOR NOT MAKING ME WAIT A WEEK!

This thing is just like a prize fight, can't wait for ROUND 4!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 08:35:45 AM »
Congrats Laker fans (for the ref's win).  The Lakers obviously were the more focused and energetic team (with the ref's help).  They took it at the Spurs and maintained it for the whole game (thanks to the refs).  And (due to the refs) the Lakers big 4 weren't pushed to 40-42 minutes each.  I had hoped the Spurs would pull this one out....but realistically just wanted a closer game that made the Lakers work hard (and not get ref help).   Now we enter a stretch of games every other night and IMO this will be to the Spurs benefit (as the refs can't be too obvious in favoring the Lakers).  Let's see Shaq, Malone & Payton go for 40+ playoff minutes on an every other night basis and include travel (and, of course, fair refs).

Again, props on a big victory by your boys Laker faithful.  You too, Randy.   ;)

:ph34r:  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 10:12:29 AM »
Yep. SA clearly imposed their will and their game on LA in game 1 and 2, it was LA imposing thier will in game 3. Can't wait for tomorrow, THANKS NBA FOR NOT MAKING ME WAIT A WEEK!

Yea I was hoping that they werent going to wait till Thursday night for us to see the next game.  Especially since I dont want the Lakers to loose the momentum from Sunday's game :lol:
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 10:14:56 AM »
Congrats Laker fans (for the ref's win).  The Lakers obviously were the more focused and energetic team (with the ref's help).  They took it at the Spurs and maintained it for the whole game (thanks to the refs).  And (due to the refs) the Lakers big 4 weren't pushed to 40-42 minutes each.  I had hoped the Spurs would pull this one out....but realistically just wanted a closer game that made the Lakers work hard (and not get ref help).   Now we enter a stretch of games every other night and IMO this will be to the Spurs benefit (as the refs can't be too obvious in favoring the Lakers).  Let's see Shaq, Malone & Payton go for 40+ playoff minutes on an every other night basis and include travel (and, of course, fair refs).

Again, props on a big victory by your boys Laker faithful.  You too, Randy.   ;)

LMAO!  I am not going to lie, the lakers came out pumped, i got to agree with Wow on that.  as the physicality of their "defense" i would say PJ would be smart to tell them to let up on that.  that kind of grit and bump defense will no last long in todays NBA, eventually the lakers will get themselves in foul trouble (as long as we keep driving that is), or else SA can get just as physical at home for games 5 and 7... :lol:  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 10:15:39 AM »

Yea I was hoping that they werent going to wait till Thursday night for us to see the next game.  Especially since I dont want the Lakers to loose the momentum from Sunday's game :lol:
does minnie play after us?  are they getting a longer break??  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 10:21:04 AM »
LMAO!  I am not going to lie, the lakers came out pumped, i got to agree with Wow on that.  as the physicality of their "defense" i would say PJ would be smart to tell them to let up on that.  that kind of grit and bump defense will no last long in todays NBA, eventually the lakers will get themselves in foul trouble (as long as we keep driving that is), or else SA can get just as physical at home for games 5 and 7... :lol:
The Lakers need to get more physical with Parker, really deck him one a couple of times when he drives, of course that could always backfire if Parker turns out to be the first cheese-eating-surrender-monkey to actually own a sack.  It's to the Lakers benefit for the series to get physical because the Spurs offense and defense is just working too well and the Lakers are rarely in sync.  If it becomes a physical series the Lakers are tougher at every single position except the 2 spot.  I don't think the Lakers can keep up that type of energy for 3 more games so they need to look for another edge.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 10:24:38 AM »

I think they play Wednesday night.  At least I hope because all these games have been pretty good.  Even the Indy games have been real fun to watch.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 10:39:52 AM »

I think they play Wednesday night.  At least I hope because all these games have been pretty good.  Even the Indy games have been real fun to watch.
Speaking of indy, you think they will sweep again??

that would bite if they sweep their way to the finals....it would make this weak team look like one of the greatest teams ever in the NBA.... :o  

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004, 10:43:04 AM »
Parker will not be the focal point of the game next time out. Look for dramatic changes by Pop. I can see Hack a Shaq employed to its full extent, I can envision Manu playing backup point, and I can see more involvement coming from the Hedo and Ginobili.

Definately more motion too. And something tells me Duncan will actually have more of a presence. Spurs got out of their pick and roll, definately see more of that happening.
Paul

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2004, 11:28:16 AM »

that would bite if they sweep their way to the finals....it would make this weak team look like one of the greatest teams ever in the NBA.... :o
I really do believe Indy will dominate the East.  That includes Detroit IMO.  The defense that team plays is very impressive.  Id say they are the next best defensive team next to the Spurs.  Their defense teamed up with their post up game makes them the clear favorite.  Just ask everyone else in the east how hard it is to guard Artest and O Neal in the paint.

I wouldn't go as far to say the team is weak.  I do think they are a strong team but they just do not match up well with Wolves, Kings ,Spurs, or Lakers because of the big men.  Indy's team defense depends alot on Jermaine being able to come from the weak side, Artest's ability to lock up his man, and him being able to float a bit to give some support to the rest of the team.  Against the big 4 from the west Jermain and Ron will not have that luxury.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2004, 11:32:56 AM »

I really do believe Indy will dominate the East.  That includes Detroit IMO.  The defense that team plays is very impressive.  Id say they are the next best defensive team next to the Spurs.  Their defense teamed up with their post up game makes them the clear favorite.  Just ask everyone else in the east how hard it is to guard Artest and O Neal in the paint.

I wouldn't go as far to say the team is weak.  I do think they are a strong team but they just do not match up well with Wolves, Kings ,Spurs, or Lakers because of the big men.  Indy's team defense depends alot on Jermaine being able to come from the weak side, Artest's ability to lock up his man, and him being able to float a bit to give some support to the rest of the team.  Against the big 4 from the west Jermain and Ron will not have that luxury.
ok, not weak.  but lets just say that if the spurs and indy were storebrands and they were in the same aisle....the spurs would have the fancy packaging that the manufacturer puts them in...and down the aisle, bottom shelf, would be Indy in the white box with black block letters that says "defense" on it for 3 dollars less, or two for the same price as the Spurs brand.....every body still buys the Spurs brand though........ :blink:   you dig?  did i make sense??? i cant tell  :ph34r:

just kidding.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2004, 12:04:50 PM »

My apologies, Lurker -- I just found a post with props to the Lakers (although I do like the assumption that I'm not a part of the Lakers faithful -- like I've shown my doubts on here and jump to a different bandwagon when things look tough).  Thanks -- I'm able to post now although it took me about 20 minutes to be able to get my jaw off the floor.

I do so enjoy your take on the refs -- make sure you get those homer glasses cleaned for game 4, okay?  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2004, 12:36:05 PM »
I do so enjoy your take on the refs -- make sure you get those homer glasses cleaned for game 4, okay?
Randy you moron!  Where FLOCK is your check for the "Ref fund c/o The Laser Eye Center"?  We've found out that the Spurs are secretly replacing the Laker glasses with Spurs glasses for games in SA.  The only way to ensure the calls go the "right" way is with laser eye surgery.

Send your check in ASAP!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Guest_Randy

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2004, 01:37:51 PM »
Randy you moron!  Where FLOCK is your check for the "Ref fund c/o The Laser Eye Center"?  We've found out that the Spurs are secretly replacing the Laker glasses with Spurs glasses for games in SA.  The only way to ensure the calls go the "right" way is with laser eye surgery.

Send your check in ASAP!
I'm still laughing at all this discussion, by Spurs fans no less, about "bumping" and I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why they think that the refs are EVER going to call this on the Lakers when they don't call it on Bowen?  Bowen grabs, holds, bumps -- hey, he even looks, at times, like he has been a prison inmate too long and that Kobe has dropped his soap.  I'm REALLY surprised that Spurs fans are crying about physical defense when Bowen is their "defensive stopper."