Author Topic: Orlando will be the team out of the East, IMO.  (Read 5485 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Orlando will be the team out of the East, IMO.
« on: May 10, 2010, 12:12:45 PM »
The Boston/Cleveland series is something great to watch, and it isn't certain which team is better after 4 games. The thing is, whoever does finally win, will be so exhausted that they will have a very difficult time dealing with Orlando.  After watching some of the play between Atlanta and Orlando a sweep is likely and the Magic will be well-rested and have plenty of game film to watch.

Orlando is a better team this season than last.  Adding Vince Carter in replace of Hedo did not hurt their team.  In fact when Vince wants to, he's still one of the best offensive players in the game. Jameer Nelson has regained his form and Rashard Lewis and Dwight Howard are as good if not better than they were last season.  Their bench is deep and they have a decent backup at Center.

Even if Orlando faced off with Boston or Cleveland first, I'd be leaning towards them as the better team.  Dwight is the best Center out of all the Eastern teams.  Even though Boston and Cleveland are bigger up front, Howard makes up for it with his presence. Also Orlando's ability to hit outside shots makes many of their misses long rebounds, so having big men to clog the middle and rebound doesn't help as much.

In the West we should have two teams advancing by sweeping their opponents, LA needs one more to catch up to the Suns. I'm very impressed with the way Phoenix dispatched the Spurs. LA's level of play is much improved over the first round. I'm leaning with LA is this match-up, but only because I think the Suns can't stop LA's inside game. LA's bench after Odom is pretty bad, however, and that may give the Suns a chance.  I just have the feeling Amare won't be very effective against Gasol and Bynum, no matter what Nash does.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Orlando will be the team out of the East, IMO.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 03:58:27 PM »
Who knows, except ziggy of course, how things will go.  The Spurs looked like they were going to power-waltz into the WC Finals and they got shut down by the Suns.  Sometimes teams look unstoppable then when the matchups change it's a whole different ball game (vice versa can be the case as well).

IMO the Cavs do not have the offensive fire power to match the Magic but if Shaq can guard Dwight with no need for a double team then the Cavs might be able to control the Magic offense.  The other problem the Cavs will have is with Jameer.  Even if the Cavs can control Dwight, which IMO is not very hard to do, Jameer has the ability to disrupt the Cavs defense and free up the Magic firepower.  The Celtics have everything they need to beat the Magic, IMO the Celtics are superior to the Magic and I don't understand why they are having so much trouble with the Cavs when LeBron is a one man show (age?).  When the game gets tight it seems that everyone not named LeBron disappears.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 10:40:35 PM by WayOutWest »
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 10:42:29 AM »
I expect Orlando to beat Boston as well.  They have a lot of weapons and a strong inside presence.  It is a lot easier to hold down the Delonte West and Mo Williams of the league than it is Michael Pettrius (sp?) and Jameer Nelson.

I am curious to see the battle of the aging SGs.   If Vince and PP don't cancel each other out that could end up being the key match up.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 11:15:43 AM »
I expect Orlando to beat Boston as well.  They have a lot of weapons and a strong inside presence.  It is a lot easier to hold down the Delonte West and Mo Williams of the league than it is Michael Pettrius (sp?) and Jameer Nelson.

I am curious to see the battle of the aging SGs.   If Vince and PP don't cancel each other out that could end up being the key match up.

I think the Celtics are the better team, more talent and better defense.  The Celtics have better players at every position except C.  The only thing that can stop the Celtics is age.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 11:28:03 AM »
Here's my question:

Granted, no one is going to stop Dwight Howard, when he gets the ball in the paint.  My question is who on Orlando is actually going to give the ball to Dwight Howard in the paint?  And, is it *EVER* a good idea to get into a jump-shooting contest against a team that has RAY ALLEN on it?

*IF*, and that's a mighty big "if," Orlando pounds the paint, and works Howard hard, then I see them torching the Celtics.  But if they try to play outside-in - which is what I think they're going to do - then the Celtics have a good chance of beating them.

Boston's best chance is to attack Howard early and often, get him in foul trouble, and then punish the Magic inside while Howard is on the bench.  Let's see how great those Orlando shooters are when there's a hand in their face, and no big man down low to pick up the bricks.

I think the series turns on coaching strategy, a battle of style, and a smart use of Ray Allen on the outside (rather than Paul Pierce and, <gulp> Rasheed Wallace).

I see Ray Allen as the pivotal player for Boston, and Howard being the pivotal player for the Magic.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 12:21:52 PM »
Here's my question:

Granted, no one is going to stop Dwight Howard, when he gets the ball in the paint.  My question is who on Orlando is actually going to give the ball to Dwight Howard in the paint?  And, is it *EVER* a good idea to get into a jump-shooting contest against a team that has RAY ALLEN on it?

*IF*, and that's a mighty big "if," Orlando pounds the paint, and works Howard hard, then I see them torching the Celtics.  But if they try to play outside-in - which is what I think they're going to do - then the Celtics have a good chance of beating them.

Boston's best chance is to attack Howard early and often, get him in foul trouble, and then punish the Magic inside while Howard is on the bench.  Let's see how great those Orlando shooters are when there's a hand in their face, and no big man down low to pick up the bricks.

I think the series turns on coaching strategy, a battle of style, and a smart use of Ray Allen on the outside (rather than Paul Pierce and, <gulp> Rasheed Wallace).

I see Ray Allen as the pivotal player for Boston, and Howard being the pivotal player for the Magic.

It all depends on if he can stay out of foul trouble like you mentioned.  Jameer Nelson and Vince Carter are going to have to play solid defense on the people they are guarding for that to happen.  They shot a lot of jumpers in the first round because Dwight wasn't even on the floor.  The second round they played a much less talented team with a star player who has off the entire series.  I fully expect them to pound the ball down to Dwight as long as he is on the floor.  He will eat up Perkins and Big Baby since we know KG is not going to guard him for any length of time *insert YOU GUARD EM PERK  Garnett audio clip*

WOW I think they (Celtics) play better defense and are the better team.  I think Orlando's young legs and talent is going to be hard for the Celtics defense to hold down for an entire series.  They did give em a good battle last year minus KG so I don't think its a stretch for the Celts to beat them either.  They still have the best team defense in the league and that will always keep them in the running.  I'll say Orlando in 7.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 09:22:43 AM »
I think the Celtics are the better team, more talent and better defense.  The Celtics have better players at every position except C.  The only thing that can stop the Celtics is age.

I hope game 1 can put an end to all the Dwight/Shaq comparrisons.  The Celtics look like the "Beast from the East" again. 
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 11:11:40 AM »

I hope game 1 can put an end to all the Dwight/Shaq comparrisons.  The Celtics look like the "Beast from the East" again. 

Yeah, much like the Lebron/Michael Jordan comparisons are gone for similar reasons.

I missed the second half of the game so I am not sure what happened but I do know if it was like what I saw in the first half my prediction is going to be way off.  I watched the Magic get out rebounded by one of the worst rebounding teams in the entire league and when they did actually get a stop what did they do?  Run all the way down and jack up a 3 before their offense was even set.  It seriously reminds me of the Lakers/Magic series all over again.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 11:15:36 AM by westkoast »

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 04:32:03 PM »
Most important player for the Magic is without question Howard.  He takes 10 shots.  Carter and Nelson jack up 18 apiece.

I stated I think Ray Allen is tne most important offensive cog for Boston, and I think Garnett is their best player.  Allen took 16 shots and Garnett 14 to lead Boston.

Who is shooting and what shots they're getting is critical.  Boston's doing it right, so far, and Orlando is doing it wrong.  22% from 3-point range for Orlando.  Again - I say it's a bad idea to get into a jump-shooting contest when the other team's jumpshooter is RAY ALLEN.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 04:46:22 PM »
Most important player for the Magic is without question Howard.  He takes 10 shots.  Carter and Nelson jack up 18 apiece.

I stated I think Ray Allen is tne most important offensive cog for Boston, and I think Garnett is their best player.  Allen took 16 shots and Garnett 14 to lead Boston.

Who is shooting and what shots they're getting is critical.  Boston's doing it right, so far, and Orlando is doing it wrong.  22% from 3-point range for Orlando.  Again - I say it's a bad idea to get into a jump-shooting contest when the other team's jumpshooter is RAY ALLEN.

Since Perkins can guard Dwight without help I think the Magic are toast.  Carter needs to become Vinsanity in order to give the Magic a chance.  Like I said before, the Celtics have better players at every position except center, and the difference between Perkins and Dwight is not enough to outweigh the Celtics advantage.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 04:48:55 PM »

Since Perkins can guard Dwight without help I think the Magic are toast.  Carter needs to become Vinsanity in order to give the Magic a chance.  Like I said before, the Celtics have better players at every position except center, and the difference between Perkins and Dwight is not enough to outweigh the Celtics advantage.

Perkins can hold his own against Dwight and since he has limited post moves if they go that route they are going to lose.  HOWEVER if they deliver the ball to him on the move or in better positions he will be very effective.  Perkins cannot out jump Dwight Howard nor is he more mobile, just stronger.  If Van Gundy doesn't make that adjustment you are right.

I have no idea why shots are so rushed by Orlando.  4 minutes to go in the first half they were shooting 3s as if it was the very end of the game and they were down 25.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 10:37:50 PM »

Dang I'm good!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 09:28:14 AM »
Game 2 was much more competitive, and as I hoped Van Gundy went with Howard and Gortat for a while.  The thing is, it worked, but Van Gundy did not keep in the tandem long enough to cause Boston problems.

Last night the difference was Paul Pierce, who after being clubbed by Howard on a drive, started making shots. 28pts. and outscoring Vince. 

Howard is a limited offensive player, and he can't get around Perkins. They need to post him up and allow him to repost by giving him someone to pass to. Vince and Jameer need to step up more- Boston never let Orlando get rolling and as long as they can keep the game close they will be the team in control. It is only when the game is up-tempo that Orlando has en edge with their speed and youth. Boston's defense is too sound.  It really comes down to Vince who needs to come up with a Monster game.  He needs to drop 30 or so on Boston on 50% shooting to give Orlando a good shot. He appears able to do it, but he has to have the will.

Orlando is in a real pickle now that Boston has a 2-0 advantage and has the next games at home. Orlando really has to win the next game and thus far, Boston is better. They even got Perkins and Pierce in foul trouble and still couldn't stop Boston enough or score enough themselves.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 10:02:16 AM »
Game 2 was much more competitive, and as I hoped Van Gundy went with Howard and Gortat for a while.  The thing is, it worked, but Van Gundy did not keep in the tandem long enough to cause Boston problems.

Last night the difference was Paul Pierce, who after being clubbed by Howard on a drive, started making shots. 28pts. and outscoring Vince. 

Howard is a limited offensive player, and he can't get around Perkins. They need to post him up and allow him to repost by giving him someone to pass to. Vince and Jameer need to step up more- Boston never let Orlando get rolling and as long as they can keep the game close they will be the team in control. It is only when the game is up-tempo that Orlando has en edge with their speed and youth. Boston's defense is too sound.  It really comes down to Vince who needs to come up with a Monster game.  He needs to drop 30 or so on Boston on 50% shooting to give Orlando a good shot. He appears able to do it, but he has to have the will.

Orlando is in a real pickle now that Boston has a 2-0 advantage and has the next games at home. Orlando really has to win the next game and thus far, Boston is better. They even got Perkins and Pierce in foul trouble and still couldn't stop Boston enough or score enough themselves.

If he can't get around Perkins then they shouldn't post him up at all.  He has no legit post moves.  He needs to get the ball on the move and jump over Perkins for hooks and dunks.

I'd say Orlando is more than in a pickle right now.  They've pretty much drown in the juice.  A championship team like Boston is not going to let them rattle off 2 victories on their floor.