Author Topic: Team similarity scores  (Read 2675 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Team similarity scores
« on: March 11, 2010, 06:05:43 PM »
According to this the most likely NBA champion is the Orlando Magic.  Take it for what it is.

Other teams this year that are similar to past Champs
Boston is similar to the 2008 Celtics
Cleveland is similar to the 2006 Heat
Lakers are similar to the 1998 Bulls
OKC is similar to the 2004 Pistons
Orlando is similar to the 86 Celtics and the 2006 Heat
Suns are similar to the 1987 Lakers
Spurs similar to the 1984 Celtics
Utah is similar to the 1977 Trail Blazers

http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=4760
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Team similarity scores
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 07:14:36 PM »
basketball-reference.com]
Lakers are similar to the 1998 Bulls
Orlando is similar to the 86 Celtics and the 2006 Heat
Spurs similar to the 1984 Celtics
:D :D

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 12:00:07 PM »
Interesting.

Is Dick Bavetta going to work the finals for Vince "Wade" Carter?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 12:49:52 PM »
Don't know how these similarity scores are supposed to work, but just thinking about make-up of teams, I can't say that I agree at all with most of them.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 02:53:21 PM »
Mehmet Okur is Bill Walton?

My head hurts now.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 03:05:18 PM »

My head hurts now.
:D :D Matt Bonner and Dick Jefferson taking it to Kevin McHale and Larry Bird.
Or is it Keith Bogans now that Mrs. FinleyPop has gone, Popped?

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 04:43:48 PM »
Here is an explanation.

This is another stab at something I've worked on for years -- the idea is to take the performance for each team in the Four Factors, and find teams with similar profiles in the past to determine how teams of that ilk eventually do in the playoffs.

Four Factors

How do basketball teams win games? While searching for an answer to that question, Dean Oliver identified what he called the "Four Factors of Basketball Success":

1. Shooting (40%)
   2. Turnovers (25%)
   3. Rebounding (20%)
   4. Free Throws (15%)

The number in parentheses is the approximate weight Mr. Oliver assigned each factor. Shooting is the most important factor, followed by turnovers, rebounding, and free throws. [Editor's note: I agree with the order, but disagree with the weightings.] These factors can be applied to both a team's offense and defense, which in a sense gives us eight factors. Let's take a closer look at how these factors are measured, using the 2004-05 Phoenix Suns as an example.
Shooting

The shooting factor is measured using Effective Field Goal Percentage (eFG%). The formula for both offense and defense is (FG + 0.5 * 3P) / FGA. For the Suns offense this is (3351 + 0.5 * 796) / 7018 = .534, and for the defense it is (3328 + 0.5 * 494) / 7485 = .478.
Turnovers

The turnover factor is measured using Turnover Percentage (TOV%). The formula for both offense and defense is TOV / (FGA + 0.44 * FTA + TOV). On offense, the Suns turnover percentage was 1125 / (7018 + 0.44 * 2080 + 1125) = .124, while on defense it was 1131 / (7485 + 0.44 * 1775 + 1131) = .120.
Rebounding

The rebounding factor is measured using Offensive and Defensive Rebound Percentage (ORB% and DRB%, respectively). The formula for offense is ORB / (ORB + Opp DRB), while the formula for defense is DRB / (Opp ORB + DRB). In 2004-05, the Suns offensive rebound percentage was 967 / (967 + 2550) = .275, and their defensive rebound percentage was 2652 / (1233 + 2652) = .683.
Free Throws

The free throw factor is a measure of both how often a team gets to the line and how often they make them. The formula for both offense and defense is FT / FGA. The Suns free throw rate on offense was 1556 / 7018 = .222, and on defense it was 1320 / 7485 = .176.

Here's the methodology:

1. Calculate the Four Factors for each team on offense and defense (technically, I guess that would make it Eight Factors, but whatever).
   2. Calculate the Z-score for each team's factors by subtracting the league average and dividing by the league's standard deviation.
   3. Compute the difference between the two teams' z-scores and square it... Do this for all 8 factors.
   4. Add the squared differences together, weighted by the following: Offensive & defensive eFG% --> 0.2 each; offensive & defensive TOV% --> 0.125 each; offensive & defensive ORB% --> 0.1 each; offensive & defensive FT rate --> 0.075 each.

The result is how similar the two teams are in terms of not only how their factors match up, but also by placing more weight on the factors that correlate most to team performance. Here are the results for the 2010 teams so far:
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 02:09:36 PM »

My head hurts now.

DARN YOU, ZIGGY AND JN!  You cursed Okur! 

Now granted, it's an Achilles rather than a stress fracture, but come on!  That wasn't cool!

Quick - somebody do a comparison between Greg Oden's and Sam Bowie's college numbers!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 02:23:09 PM by Joe Vancil »
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!