Author Topic: Gilbert and Javaris sitting in a tree......................  (Read 9766 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Gilbert and Javaris sitting in a tree......................
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 01:57:40 PM »
...(though if his contract gets voided I'd believe most teams would stay away from him in general)

I totally disagree.  I think teams would trample blue eye white babies and pure bred puppies to get to Arenas's front door to sign him up to a new contract, including the Wizards.  Arenas will not get as 'fat' a contract as he has now but he will be playing in the league if Lord Sternfish does not ban him.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 01:59:06 PM »
I guess, though Arenas never struck me as much more than a ball hogging volume shooter who needs to get over the 'draft' snub already.

He always struck me as more about him and his than anything else - his blogs, his twitters, his idiotic behavior recently

Offline marklapinski

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 02:55:19 PM »
If Arenas is NOT convicted of a felony (and now there are rumors the guns weren't registered, and thus he din't have 'legal possession' (my term i don't know the legal one) of the guns - an DC has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the unions - so felony charges are possible) - then it's going to be a murky not worth the fight kind of thing.  The union HAS to fight any void attempt if the felony conviction isn't attached to Arenas, because if they don't they open up a can of worms allowing teams to try and void bad contracts for any number of resons - it's a slippery slope for the union if Arenas doesn't have that felony contract.

You have to believe that when the CBA is renegotiated, voiding a contract for various activities such as this will be a sticking point - and the union will fight tooth and nail (this union fought tooth and nail against marijuana testing) and it will make it more interesting

David Stern is not a jury of one because he's answerable to a UNION and a collective bargaining agreement - it's not donald trump saying 'you're fired' - and PS Stern isn't the one who would void Arenas contract - it's the Wizards - Stern could 'ban' him from the game I guess - but I doubt that's likely (though if his contract gets voided I'd believe most teams would stay away from him in general)

I don't know.  I think a team would take a chance on Arenas.  He is a talented basketball player.  A number of teams could use him, im sure.  I mean teams continued to take chances on Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson heh

Which is sad...

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2010, 05:24:40 PM »
If Arenas is NOT convicted of a felony (and now there are rumors the guns weren't registered, and thus he din't have 'legal possession' (my term i don't know the legal one) of the guns - an DC has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the unions - so felony charges are possible) - then it's going to be a murky not worth the fight kind of thing.  The union HAS to fight any void attempt if the felony conviction isn't attached to Arenas, because if they don't they open up a can of worms allowing teams to try and void bad contracts for any number of resons - it's a slippery slope for the union if Arenas doesn't have that felony contract.

You have to believe that when the CBA is renegotiated, voiding a contract for various activities such as this will be a sticking point - and the union will fight tooth and nail (this union fought tooth and nail against marijuana testing) and it will make it more interesting

David Stern is not a jury of one because he's answerable to a UNION and a collective bargaining agreement - it's not donald trump saying 'you're fired' - and PS Stern isn't the one who would void Arenas contract - it's the Wizards - Stern could 'ban' him from the game I guess - but I doubt that's likely (though if his contract gets voided I'd believe most teams would stay away from him in general)

Oh, make no mistake - I think the players union is going to fight tooth and nail against Arenas's SUSPENSION.  I don't think they'll be so inclined if Crittendon gets suspended and his gun turns out to be loaded.  If we're talking about a contract being voided, there's no question the union will fight that.

Also, I reiterate, Stern is a jury of one.  He is answerable to the CBA, and that's it.  The CBA is the only thing that gives the union *ANY* power.  The NBA office is pretty much the final say in who gets to play and who doesn't - and it takes time for the union to appeal a ruling to arbitration, and in that time, a suspended player is going to miss games.  All he can recover is his salary.  And Stern will use that power to de-value a player like Arenas by sitting him out more games.  And the fewer games a player like Arenas plays - a player with a talent for missing games from injury - the less and less he becomes worth to another organization.

There's no question that SOMEONE will take a chance on Arenas.  I mean, come on - Juwan Howard (old, ancient, and a source of several controversies himself) is still in the league, and Arenas is still reasonably young and talented.  The question is to what level of pay, and to what level of significance.  Players can wear out their welcome (Stephon Marbury, anyone?), and Stern will do his darnedest to convery the message that Arenas has worn out his welcome at the league-office level.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2010, 05:26:32 PM »

I don't know.  I think a team would take a chance on Arenas.  He is a talented basketball player.  A number of teams could use him, im sure.  I mean teams continued to take chances on Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson heh

No question a team would take a chance on him.

Can anyone here think of a team that could use an uber-talented point guard with success under Eddie Jordan's system?

Joe

-----------

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2010, 05:27:56 PM »

Which is sad...

True but there doesn't seem to be an overwhelming amount of talent flooding the NBA gates.  If there were a bunch of big, husky defenders like Artest and guys who could slash like Jackson I don't think they would get picked up.  Neither of those two guys have ever gone with out a contract for any length of time.  Seems like when Artest contract was up people were chasing him.  When Jackson went on the trading block people were lighting up the phones. 
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2010, 05:29:16 PM »

No question a team would take a chance on him.

Can anyone here think of a team that could use an uber-talented point guard with success under Eddie Jordan's system?

We might have to travel really far to get that answer......all the way to the message board right above ours !

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2010, 05:29:24 PM »
a ball hogging volume shooter

He always struck me as more about him and his than anything else - his blogs, his twitters, his idiotic behavior recently

Hold on.........oh, okay.

Just had to make sure we were talking about Arenas after I left my last message.  And we are.  Carry on.

Joe

-----------

jemagee

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2010, 06:33:05 PM »

I thought we were talking about Gilbert Arenas.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2010, 06:51:31 PM »

I thought we were talking about Gilbert Arenas.

You don't think Gilbert Arenas is talented?  He's a CAREER 22 pt 5 assist guy! He has to be uber talented because I find it hard to believe a guy who thought it was a good idea to make mocking finger guns at his fellow teammates in the midst of all this is getting those stats by using his supreme intelligence.

jemagee

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2010, 07:21:43 PM »
I don't believe he's uber talented
I don't believe he's a point guard any more than Iverson is
and I don't believe he makes a basketball team better
I also think he's a douchnozzle - long before the gun incident

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2010, 05:34:44 PM »
I don't believe he's uber talented
I don't believe he's a point guard any more than Iverson is
and I don't believe he makes a basketball team better
I also think he's a douchnozzle - long before the gun incident

I don't see how you can deny he's uber-talented.  He's a good scorer, better-than-average passer, and does a better job on rebounding than many who play his position.

As for not a point guard - granted, he's a primary scorer.  In that regard, he's no different than Tim Hardaway or Steve Francis - both of whom played point guard for their entire careers.

I do believe he makes a basketball team better, as was evidenced by Washington last year vs. Washington 2 years ago.  At the very least, his absence makes his team worse.

As for the douchnozzle debate, that one, I'm going to have to concede to you.  Especially considering the size of his contract.  Let's face it - if a stupidity tax was put in place, Arenas would be one of the big payers.

That said, on the court, the guy can flat-out play.  I'm not particularly fond of his style, nor am I convinced that it's the best way to run a team by having your point guard be your primary scoring threat.  But the talent is there.
Joe

-----------

jemagee

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2010, 03:52:44 PM »
Washington Wizards player Gilbert Arenas and the U.S. Attorney are negotiating a plea bargain ... law enforcement sources tell TMZ.

Our sources say Arenas' lawyer and prosecutors are discussing a plea in which Arenas would cop to misdemeanor gun charges. We're told a deal hasn't been struck yet, but it could come as early as today.

jemagee

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2010, 05:10:20 PM »
So it looks like Gilbert may have been the one 'pleaing' to get a plea

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4826597

Seems the city thinks Felony

jemagee

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2010, 06:51:32 PM »
PS

Raise your hand if you wouldn't be fired if you did what gilbert arenas did