Author Topic: Who will sign Michael Vick?  (Read 14698 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Who will sign Michael Vick?
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2009, 09:36:47 AM »

I don't think anyone said it that way. There's no denying fatal dog attacks from any kind of dog are pretty rare. I'm saying, I believe it happens more often, and with more devastating consequences with dogs like the pit bull.

Rick specifically said that Pitbulls turn too often.

oblem. Because you still have that big fat problem fact to get past:

The Humane Society of the United States says that since 1983, pit bulls killed 21 of the 29 people slaughtered by dogs: 72 percent killed by 1 percent of the nation's dogs.

That's still the least biased article I've seen on the subject. Everything else comes from either lovers or haters.

They are also the number 1 dog used to fight and the most popular dog used to protect homes next to dobers.

Did I say Pit Bulls turn too often?  Let me rephrase that- they can turn into aggressive animals and it is difficult in advance to know which ones will.  It does seem apparent that the control over the dog rests with it's owner.  The owner is responsible for the dog and what the dog does.  In Ted's case we have an owner who was anything but responsible, and his behavior, in getting two new Pit Bulls before moving away, shows what kind of people are out there.  There's a man who by his own behavior has established that he shouldn't own Pit Bulls able top buy them and continue on his merry way- until his new neighbor has a bad experience like Ted.

If the owners are evaluated before hand- to establish that they are mature, responsible adults, then I would feel less concerned about them having a Pit Bull as a pet. My problem is a subjective one, I think most of the owners are more like Ted's old neighbor, an accident waiting to happen! And unwilling to take responsibility when his dog causes harm.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2009, 10:09:34 AM »
My first reaction to WoW's story, sadly, is jealousy. I wish I could have felt those skulls cracking through my bat. It was a frightening and disturbing experience. Partly because I really felt we were really close to being in big trouble.

I liked my wife's dog okay, but I wasn't as heartbroken as she. The worst part for me was when I first got out there and saw her facing down two growling pits. Those freaking dogs can be scary. I was sure they were going to go after her.

The part that makes me shiver still today is the way they just trotted away when I came at them with the bat. They didn't take off and run. There was no fear of me. Like they said "Oh, F*** you and your little friend. Look at my arse as I walk away."
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2009, 10:27:41 AM »
If the owners are evaluated before hand- to establish that they are mature, responsible adults, then I would feel less concerned about them having a Pit Bull as a pet. My problem is a subjective one, I think most of the owners are more like Ted's old neighbor, an accident waiting to happen! And unwilling to take responsibility when his dog causes harm.

The thing is that he had supposedly trained them to be good family pets. I don't know. He wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but he was a tool (thank you Michael Scott). He must have neglected training them to be good around other animals or people.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2009, 10:31:36 AM »

Sadly you can't evaluate parents of animals OR children.  I think this should apply to children as well but it's not!  I will admit my opinion is very bias, my mother trained dogs and we had a number of them growing up.  Right now she has 5! All but 2 are different breeds.

The dog whisperer, as lame as that show is, proves that even mean dogs that have bitten people can be trained to follow the pack leader (aka the human) if the right approach is taken.  Most people think that if you tell a dog to sit and it sits that it is well trained.  Not the case.

Back to the thread topic....I have 2 friends who I talk to on the regular who are Eagles fans and they seem happy to get Vick.  What is the general attitude in Philly?  Is it split down the middle?  Or is everyone kind of like 'lets wait and see' ?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2009, 03:29:21 PM »
My sense is that when the story first came out there was a lot of negativity, Half the people were against it. Dabods said he felt sick. I thought it was a bold move, but one that some team was going to take and as an Eagle fan I'd like them to add as much talent as they can.

Now my impression is that none of the Season ticket holders have given up their seats. So, at least for now, they've gotten over it. A lot of people said they would, but then weasled out- which shows you what their word means.

Eagles fans love their team like Laker fans lover theirs. It would take a lot to keep the fans away, as long as they are winning. And the Birds have been competitive since the new owners came in.

Maybe everyone has gotten tired of it, or the ones against it realize that he has already been judged and punished and it's time to move on.

Vick hasn't even been in a game yet and may not even play, since the NFL hasn't made a decision yet. It's not clear what Vick has to do, or is expected to do to be allowed to play. If the NFL doesn't make a big deal out of it, it's probably over. If there's a big ho-hah, we may see more people protesting. Somehow I think the die-hards against him are a small minority, and people will stop associating him with dogs and start seeing him as a footbal player again.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2009, 11:21:20 AM »
Vick hasn't even been in a game yet and may not even play, since the NFL hasn't made a decision yet. It's not clear what Vick has to do, or is expected to do to be allowed to play. If the NFL doesn't make a big deal out of it, it's probably over. If there's a big ho-hah, we may see more people protesting. Somehow I think the die-hards against him are a small minority, and people will stop associating him with dogs and start seeing him as a footbal player again.
Already a lot of buzz for Thursday nights Jags @ Eagles game where Vick will get as much as 3 qtrs of action.
I'm guessing the t.v. ratings will blow away other preseason games.  Vick does well and he'll be in a reg season game pronto.
If he scores a t.d. via pass, receive or run the footage will be all over the news.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2009, 12:58:46 AM »
Eagles coach Andy Reid didn't wait long to use Vick. The three-time Pro Bowl quarterback jogged onto the field for the second play from scrimmage and got a hearty welcome from the notoriously tough Philly fans........
.....So much for all those protesters and anti-Vick factions. Some fans even chanted "We want Vick!" after he left the game.

Vick was on the field for six plays -- all in the opening 18 minutes -- and completed all four of his passes, ran for 1 yard and lined up in the slot for one play.

^^espn exerpts
rt and 'bods were you there?

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2009, 02:36:29 PM »
I didn't go, but I watched and saw the reaction. We'll have to see if the road reaction is significantly different.

Vick looked pretty good for a guy who's been off the field for so long. The Eagles didn't do a whole lot with him in this game. Reid has to figure out the best way to integrate him into the offense, with McNabb. The problem is, any play with both McNabb and Vick on the field has to be some type of lateral from one to the other, or one of them running with the ball. Not really sure you want to use either of them as a wide-out. Reid doesn't need to show that stuff to other teams defensive coordinators until the season starts.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2009, 08:33:20 PM »
Eagles,
Are you satisfied with Reids use/non use of Vick?  2nd and 1 and you can't get a 1st down on three cracks.
Shameful loss to the Cowboys at Philly.

I am not happy with Reids non use of Vick.
That being said, i cannot believe today Vick said his future plans are to be QB and QB only, he does not want to be a wildcat.