Author Topic: Who will sign Michael Vick?  (Read 14701 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Who will sign Michael Vick?
« on: July 27, 2009, 03:03:39 PM »
Can begin practice immediately.
Can play in regular season beginning in Week 6.

At one time the NFLs highest paid player, i think the most any team can offer him is the vet minimum.  600K?

While some owners have claimed they would not sign him, I say at least 10 teams will go after him.
I wish the Chargers would sign him.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Who will sign Michael Vick?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 01:52:31 PM »
I'd go after him in a heart-beat. He'd be a great addition to the Eagles where he could learn by watching McNabb and playing as a tail-back or wide out, while preparing to take over as QB.

First off, although I think dog-fighting is disgusting, there are lots of other examples of man mistreating animals that are not illegal, and our laws are subjective and discriminatory.  A lot of people think dog fights are a legitimate form of entertainment, and I don't think Bull Fights are any better.

Vick has paid his debt as far as I am concerned and has the right to be redeemed and pursue his career.  I have a hard time with the people who are unwilling to forgive him, than I do with him at the moment.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
The Raiders? LOL.  I joke but I could see Al Davis doing it to spite the commish and league.

Don't understand why he can't be signed until week 6 though.  That is stupid.  I feel like he is being extra punished for no reason.  He did his time in jail and THAT was his punishment.  Does the league really need to do something so petty?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 04:12:21 PM »
I'd go after him in a heart-beat. He'd be a great addition to the Eagles where he could learn by watching McNabb and playing as a tail-back or wide out, while preparing to take over as QB.

First off, although I think dog-fighting is disgusting, there are lots of other examples of man mistreating animals that are not illegal, and our laws are subjective and discriminatory.  A lot of people think dog fights are a legitimate form of entertainment, and I don't think Bull Fights are any better.

Vick has paid his debt as far as I am concerned and has the right to be redeemed and pursue his career.  I have a hard time with the people who are unwilling to forgive him, than I do with him at the moment.
Bingo.  Vick is mega valuable as a punt, kick returner, wideout, flanker, tailback, any.  The right coach can and will make it work.  If the Pats get Vick you know Bill Bellichek will make it work.  Now if you send Vick to the Chargers, who knows how badly Norv Turner might screw him up.  Phil Jackson vs Greg Pop.  It will matter to which team and coach Vick goes.  I think Vick will make the right move with his advisers, including Tony Dungy.

Yes the dogfighting was and is disgusting, and yes the NFL could not care less.  Isn't there a guy who murdered another human that is right back in the league?  I don't mean Ray Lewis and the many other NFL players who have killed guys, i mean some NFL player that was actually found guilty in a court.  Book "Pros and Cons" by Tim ____.  Excellent expose of the NFLs longtime policy of allowing criminals in the league.  The meaner and nastier and more violent the better.  Big dog n pony show being put on by Goodall now.  He probably hired focus groups to see what would be the most benefical way (marketingwise) to absorb Vick back into the NFL.

Correction:  Vick may be reinstated by the 6th week at the latest.  So he could be allowed to play reg season games anywheres from Game 1 thru Game 6.
"Once the season begins, Vick may participate in all team activities except games, and Goodell said he would consider Vick for full reinstatement by Week 6 (Oct. 18-19) at the latest."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 12:58:53 PM »
While the dog fighting itself is disgusting, what really turned people against him was that he fed smaller dogs to the fighting dogs to get their blood up, then slaughtered the poorly performing dogs. You know, the ones that probably would make really good pets.

While there are plenty of examples where people kill animals indiscriminantly, such as Sarah Palin shooting wolves from a plane in Alaska for sport and the killing of baby seals, it appears this dog fighting stuff is against the law in this country and many animal lovers tend to have a dim view with something that hurts what they consider family pets.

It also makes you think twice about anyone who could do this without qualms. Many serial killers started out by killing and torturing neighborhood animals, so the link to perhaps other habits of Vick comes into question.

While I guess the good people in the City of Brotherly Love consider this a low priority, the people of Oakland, for instance - a town where the citizens quite often don't talk to their own neighbors without gunplay happening - even Al Davis would overplay his "good will happening" image and be run out of town sooner then he wants to go. 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 06:47:17 PM »
Great post, JoMal, I completely agree. 

While dog fighting in and of itself is despicable, the extra disturbing factor here is the torture and mutilation of the dogs that went on at his "facility".  That is beyond deplorable and ventures in to the realm of psychopathic behavior. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 10:15:27 AM »
Can't tell if NFL teams are feigning stupidity, or just using the "QB position only" as an excuse so they can avoid talking about the politically incorrect move to get Vick on the roster.  About 20 teams are saying they are set "at the QB", as if Vick would have no value elsewhere.  ::)
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-07-30-michael-vick-list_N.htm

Not sure why the Patriots Bellicheat interest seems to be gone, however if this report is accurate, the Green Bay coach is interested:
http://www.realfootball365.com/articles/packers/14194

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 11:33:44 PM »

Not sure why the Patriots Bellicheat interest seems to be gone, however if this report is accurate, the Green Bay coach is interested:
http://www.realfootball365.com/articles/packers/14194

Nope.  Green Bay GM Ted Thompson really downplayed any interest in Vick today.
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090805/PKR01/90805144/1058/PKR01

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 10:36:14 AM »
Dungy says it's gonna happen, probabaly within 10 days.  As i figured it's not the coaches who do not want Vick but the mananagement, feigning morality over taking Vick.....
I'm thinking Belicheat and the Pats will either take Vick or be right in the bidding.

Exerpts:
Dungy wouldn't divulge which coaches he's spoken with, only that his contact list is longer than the six NFL teams that have not publicly ruled out signing Vick.

"I've talked to a lot of people and a bunch of coaches who have said, 'If it was up to me, we'd pursue it,' " Dungy said. "But this organization can't pursue it. That's how it's going to be."

Dungy wouldn't divulge which coaches he's spoken with, only that his contact list is longer than the six NFL teams that have not publicly ruled out signing Vick.

"I've talked to a lot of people and a bunch of coaches who have said, 'If it was up to me, we'd pursue it,' " Dungy said. "But this organization can't pursue it. That's how it's going to be."

Dungy is also promoting a movie intended to help high school coaches, athletes and their families cope with the pressures of sports and life. Topics include weight training, supplements, drug and alcohol abuse, decision-making on and off the field and how to deal with recruiting.

Though Dungy isn't giving any hints about where Vick will go, Dungy believes the former Atlanta Falcon will be with a new team before the movie's release date, which is Aug. 25.

"He's talked to a lot of people, and I don't know why I say this, but I think something will happen this week," Dungy said. "All you need is that one team.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 08:47:48 PM »
The Eagles got him.  Perfect place for him too, a tremendous athlete who wasn't quite ready to be a pocket passer gets to be understudy to another tremendous athlete who learned how to become a pocket QB.

In the meantime, how do you defend against the Eagles when McNabb sets up as QB with Vick on one side and Westbrook on the other?

Reid will be on Vick right from the beginning trying to straighten him out.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 11:43:24 PM »
I feel sick.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 12:27:53 AM »
The Eagles got him.  Perfect place for him too, a tremendous athlete who wasn't quite ready to be a pocket passer gets to be understudy to another tremendous athlete who learned how to become a pocket QB.

In the meantime, how do you defend against the Eagles when McNabb sets up as QB with Vick on one side and Westbrook on the other?

Reid will be on Vick right from the beginning trying to straighten him out.

Perfect fit for that punk-arse-wannabe-thug!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 09:29:06 AM »
With that logic,  why didn't the Lakers try to send Kobe to us?

Which is worse a rapist who gets off using his money, or a man who uses dogs for entertainment and can't buy his way out?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 11:09:25 AM »
With that logic,  why didn't the Lakers try to send Kobe to us?

Which is worse a rapist who gets off using his money, or a man who uses dogs for entertainment and can't buy his way out?

I guess I missed the news where Kobe was convicted.

Have you read about what Vic did to the dogs aside from fighting them? 

More to come...
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 12:08:50 PM »
A very heinous and revolting business to my sensibilities, but some people view this as a sport, as valid as Bull Fighting. Vick may turn out to be one of the prime movers in getting people to see this sport as barbaric and immoral.  He grew up in that culture and had lots of friends who thought that this was a good pastime.  He has a better chance of reaching them than any of us outsiders.

Finally the man served his time, and forgiveness is Divine. None of this money is guaranteed either, so Vick is on a short leash!

A lot of this depends on cultural standards. Aren't Circuses inherently cruel to animals?  I'm sure Tigers and Lions like being whipped and made to do tricks, but no one cries about them.  Never mind what we do to Chickens, Pigs and Cows.