Author Topic: ESPN reporting Ron Artest will be in a Lakers uniform next season.  (Read 6576 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: ESPN reporting Ron Artest will be in a Lakers uniform next season.
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 10:37:50 AM »
My good friend and I were talking about this at the bar the other night....

What about the Paparazzi/TMZ types following around Ron Artest in Los Angeles?  Their lively hood is based upon people who will flip out and give them ratings.  They love Kanye West for the same reason.....which leads to the next situation)

LA is the center of the entertainment business and second only to New York City when it comes to hip hop music.  Ron Artest is going to be hanging out with rappers and their entourages.  He is going to be out with knuckle heads to prove he's 'cool' with westcoast gangsta rappers.  Lamar Odom is also friends with these same guys but he's not trying to be in the music business.  Artest may want to do things to gain himself attention for his record label/self.  This is the same guy who shaved 'Tru Warrior' into his head.  Would it be a stretch to say that Ron Artest is going to enjoy the TMZers chasing him around?

Is the Lakers PR person getting paid extra or have the Lakers hired one for Ron Artest?  Maybe a life coach?  Babysitter?  I am a Lakers homer but not enough to all the sudden pretend like Ron Artest is a different person because he plays on my favorite basketball team.  As a Lakers fan I hope it works out and we repeat.  As a basketball fan it looks like a major gamble on a player who  has proven to be a distraction.

How long before RonRon gets into a fight with a club bouncer or maybe even a cop?  :o

I hope there is not a chemistry issue with Artest in the mix, right now my biggest concern is signing Odom.  Even if Artest is the pefect fit with the Lakers, the Lakers will not get too far if they lose Odom for nothing.

One would assume that since the Lakers landed his fellow Queens native and friend Ron Artest they would have that much better shot at getting him.

Lurker, the Lakers have had a 'speedy pg' problem since the late 90s.   And it's been a major issue pretty much since Fisher broke his foot in 2002.   While I agree it is a spot that other teams can exploit, we've also got 4 rings whille it has happened.  It's impossible to build a 'bullet proof' team.  The  4 has been an issue for the Spurs for years as well.  They still manage to win most of the time and have stacked up rings of their own.  I think the amount of talent at every other position can make up some of the slack.  Not to mention the system does not need a great passing PG in order to be successful.

Between Fisher (think 15 minutes per game) Farmer (20+ minutes per game) and Brown (10+ minutes per game) I think we are OKAY.  Obviously could be better but who is out there to even pick up?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 10:58:18 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 12:53:53 PM »
Lurker, the Lakers have had a 'speedy pg' problem since the late 90s.   And it's been a major issue pretty much since Fisher broke his foot in 2002.   While I agree it is a spot that other teams can exploit, we've also got 4 rings whille it has happened.  It's impossible to build a 'bullet proof' team.  The  4 has been an issue for the Spurs for years as well.  They still manage to win most of the time and have stacked up rings of their own.  I think the amount of talent at every other position can make up some of the slack.  Not to mention the system does not need a great passing PG in order to be successful.

But it doesn't make the Lakers unbeatable.  I was responding to WOW's "fear no team" bravado.  I agree there are only a handful of teams that have a true chance but one of them is the Spurs.  Along with Lakers & Celtics they have title experience.  And the Cavs & Magic should be in the discussion.  Right now I'm not sure if any other west team can be considered with those 5 teams. And I don't think any of those 5 teams "fear" the others.

Between Fisher (think 15 minutes per game) Farmer (20+ minutes per game) and Brown (10+ minutes per game) I think we are OKAY.  Obviously could be better but who is out there to even pick up?

I agree.  Any improvement would have to be through a trade. 

But then I could argue the Spurs will have some FA signing at PF...worse case is Gooden will return.  They still have Bonner, Blair (rookie), Mahinmi (coming off injury but a couple seasons in the system). So while not all stars the Spurs can cover their weakest spot as well as the Lakers can cover theirs.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 10:14:47 AM »

But it doesn't make the Lakers unbeatable.  I was responding to WOW's "fear no team" bravado.  I agree there are only a handful of teams that have a true chance but one of them is the Spurs.  Along with Lakers & Celtics they have title experience.  And the Cavs & Magic should be in the discussion.  Right now I'm not sure if any other west team can be considered with those 5 teams. And I don't think any of those 5 teams "fear" the others.

Agreed.  I wouldn't even go as far to say the Magic 'fear' the Lakers.  You could even say that a few of those teams would LOVE to see each other again.  I think the Lakers would love to play the Celtics again now that they have learned their lesson.  Surely the Cavs would like another crack at Orlando for what happened in the playoffs this year. 

I agree.  Any improvement would have to be through a trade. 

But then I could argue the Spurs will have some FA signing at PF...worse case is Gooden will return.  They still have Bonner, Blair (rookie), Mahinmi (coming off injury but a couple seasons in the system). So while not all stars the Spurs can cover their weakest spot as well as the Lakers can cover theirs.

As long as Duncan is there they will never be anything but above average in the paint.  Outside of the Celtics triple threat in the paint there are no teams with multiple quality big men who can score and play defense well.  The Lakers are close with Gasol/Bynum/Odom (Bynum was not that player in the playoffs).  Then there is a bunch of teams with one big guy (Orlando, PHX, Cavs) who are not better than Duncan.  Gooden is not some type of scrub so I don't see what the problem is.  He is a capable player and is young.

The Lakers point guard position does need to be improved or addressed some how.    Either through a trade or there needs to be some improvement on Jordan Farmar's end when it comes to defense.  I am a bit confused on why he has not been sent to the Ron Harper school of defense.  He has the speed to be able to funnel players to specific spots on the floor but instead tries to be a stopper.  I would like to see him purposely give up space or moves to funnel players towards Bynum, Gasol, Odom, or Artest.  As oppose to what he does now which is tries to jump to block shots and is not really aware of where his help would be coming from if he does in fact lose his man.   Not quite sure why that did not happen last year.  Personally I am a fan of Jordan Farmar and like his game.  It just is not deep playoff basketball caliber at this point in time.  I hope he works hard this off season to improve his game.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 10:18:03 AM by westkoast »

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 10:36:17 AM »
If I'm Odom, the signing of Artest bothers me.  After all, *I* wanted to be the third guy, if not the second.  Moving down to *4th* guy, behind Artest, isn't something I'm interested in, unless I'm being compensated big time.  And I'm going to get FEWER minutes, since Artest plays one of the positions that I play.

Odom would make a great fit in Portland, in my opinion.  He's far superior to what Turkoglu offered them.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2009, 10:46:29 AM »
If I'm Odom, the signing of Artest bothers me.  After all, *I* wanted to be the third guy, if not the second.  Moving down to *4th* guy, behind Artest, isn't something I'm interested in, unless I'm being compensated big time.  And I'm going to get FEWER minutes, since Artest plays one of the positions that I play.

Odom would make a great fit in Portland, in my opinion.  He's far superior to what Turkoglu offered them.

No, that's what Joe Vancil would want.  Odom's attitude, comments, and demeanor have said otherwise over the past 3-4 years.  He doesn't want to have to be that 3rd guy every single night.  He HATED the pressure of even having to be the second guy before Gasol showed up.  You are WAY off on this one.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 10:50:59 AM by westkoast »

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2009, 10:59:30 AM »
I'm skeptical of that.  After all, he fit in REALLY well in Miami, where he seemed to be happy and was thriving as the #2 option.

Odom came off the bench this year, but wasn't all that happy with it.  But he did it for the good of the team - especially since the Lakers were so close to a championship.  Now that he's got his ring, now that his career is validated, he may be looking for a more secure future.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 11:04:07 AM »

No, that's what Joe Vancil would want.  Odom's attitude, comments, and demeanor have said otherwise over the past 3-4 years.  He doesn't want to have to be that 3rd guy every single night.  He HATED the pressure of even having to be the second guy before Gasol showed up.  You are WAY off on this one.

Agreed, Odom does not want to be the "guy" in any situation.  I don't know what Joe is smoking to think the Odom wants to be the 2nd option.  Odom is happy being the facilitator, I don't think he cares if he's the 5th option, he just wants to play his laid back game, he's the perfect fit on the Lakers.  Any team that wants to make Odom a key focus of the offense is a horrible fit for Odom.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 11:09:22 AM »
I'm skeptical of that.  After all, he fit in REALLY well in Miami, where he seemed to be happy and was thriving as the #2 option.

You're on crack Joe.  If there is not pressure, which there was not in Miami, sure Odom can thrive.  Odom does NOT do well under the pressure of being a #2 option.  Heck, he struggles at times as the #3, but as a "free lancer" he does great.

Odom came off the bench this year, but wasn't all that happy with it.  But he did it for the good of the team - especially since the Lakers were so close to a championship.  Now that he's got his ring, now that his career is validated, he may be looking for a more secure future.

If he's looking for a secure future, he can't do much better than the Lakers.  If some team makes him a great offer then I wouldn't hold it against him if he left because the Lakers do not come close to matching.  I very much doubt that will happen.  There is not that much money out there so Odom is going to have to lower his asking price.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2009, 11:10:35 AM »

Are you talking about a different Odom?  I am talking about Lamar Odom.  A guy who when asked to come off the bench did not fight.  Did not make off handed remarks about it.  He said from day one that he wants to do whatever will 'help the team win'  Last year during the playoffs he took a lot of flack for not being able to be that 3rd guy every single night and he didn't like it.  His demeanor was a lot different than it was half way through this season.  I don't know where you got he wasn't happy with it.  He never said or did anything to say he disliked his role.  Just the opposite.  When you see him on the bench, in huddles, and around often you wouldn't be saying that.

EDIT:  WOW hit it on the head, it's about 'pressure' more than anything.  There was very little pressure in Miami.  There is no doubt in my mind that Odom does not want the pressure of being that 2nd option.  If it was up to Odom he would pass 9 times out of 10 and take that one rebounds for a coast to coast lay up himself.  WOW and myself both said that the Gasol trade probably made Odom more happy than Kobe for the fact it took so much pressure off of him.

A lot of players in this league have one year where they really goes pedal to the medal.  That was his one year in Miami when he had the green light to do whatever he wanted.  I should also throw out their that his numbers in this years playoffs were similar to those in Miami save the offensive boost from having 10 more shots a game.  
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 11:13:49 AM by westkoast »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2009, 11:17:22 AM »
he may be looking for a more secure future.
More "security" then with the Flamers?!
Lets see, #1 media market.
Calls go your way 99.99% of the time.  Up that to 100% when its playoff time.
Collusion anytime your team needs to upgrade.  (Kream, Magic, Michell Thompson, Fisher, Gasol)
China being the next NBA market with Koubee being the #1 draw.
Yeah, it's pretty "secure" being a Flamer right now.

Odom will not make the same mistake Ariza made IMO.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 11:23:59 AM by Reality »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 12:06:33 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This user is currently ignored.

STILL!  ;D
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 12:18:26 PM »
I am curious what JoMal and Skandery think about Artest going to LA.  JoMal because I think Artest made a slight fan out of him while up in Sac-town and Skandery because he's been real good about predicting out comes of big trades/signings the last few years.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 12:24:58 PM »
I am curious what JoMal and Skandery think about Artest going to LA.  JoMal because I think Artest made a slight fan out of him while up in Sac-town and Skandery because he's been real good about predicting out comes of big trades/signings the last few years.

I don't know if they survived the Lakers championship.  :D 

I'm still waiting for JoMal to ask Bods to delete the "Lakers will not win a championship with Kobe as thier franchise player." thread/post.  ;D
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 12:41:24 PM »

I don't know if they survived the Lakers championship.  :D 

I'm still waiting for JoMal to ask Bods to delete the "Lakers will not win a championship with Kobe as thier franchise player." thread/post.  ;D

LOL!!!

One would think with the potential of Artest flipping out in the locker room and hitting Kobe in the face JoMal would be all over the trade!

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009, 11:00:52 PM »

http://blog.oregonlive.com/blazers/2009/07/report_trail_blazers_intereste.html

Ken Berger at cbssports.com is reporting that "a coaching source" said the Trail Blazers are interested in Lamar Odom.

Despite reports that the Trail Blazers were preparing to make a major bid for Knicks restricted free agent David Lee, a coaching source familiar with the situation said Portland is more interested in the Lakers' Lamar Odom. And the source described the Odom situation with Portland as "lukewarm."

What Portland needs in my opinion in order of importance

#1 -  Improved defense
#2 -  An ability to initiate the offense from some place other than Brandon Roy
#3 -  The ability to score down low, get garbage points, and post ups
#4 -  Improve their transition offense, get more points in the fast break
#5 -  Improve their rebounding, based only upon the Houston series only, not the regular season.

#1 -  Marion is the best.  Odom definitely improves our defense compared to Travis Outlaw, and/or Channing Frye.  Bigger impact than Hedo would have made.  I am not sure I have a great opinion, but I think Odom is a better option defensively than David Lee.

#2 -  Of the 4 guys mentioned above, Odom would no question bring the biggest impact, then Hedo, not much of difference between Lee and Marion

#3 -  Lee would be the best, then Odom, then Marion, and then Hedo, but even Hedo wouldn't be that bad

#4 -  Marion would make an immediate impact, then Odom (as a rebounder and a finisher), then Hedo, then Lee.

#5 -  All but Hedo would be a big step forward.  Lee is dynamite, Marion is really good, and so is Odom.

Based upon that and weighing each category, Odom is the best option for Portland, then Marion and Lee are a wash, and then Hedo.  So I would agree with Joe's assertion, that Odom would bring more to us, than Hedo would have.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil