Author Topic: ESPN reporting Ron Artest will be in a Lakers uniform next season.  (Read 6566 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Ron Artest has stated he is joining the Lakers, no word/confirmation from the Lakers.  The news is Ron will sign a 3-year contract with the Lakers for about 18 million.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: ESPN reporting Ron Artest will be in a Lakers uniform next season.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 08:16:09 PM »
Not happy about this.  While Ron Artest is the better player he is not the better fit.  I like that he'll bring that enforcer edge to the Lakers and improves their defense.  I don't like his attitude nor do I like the distractions LA is going to bring Artest.

Honestly I think this experiment is going to blow up.

Oh and boy was I wrong!  So much for that Lakers insight.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 08:42:52 PM »
Not happy about this.  While Ron Artest is the better player he is not the better fit.  I like that he'll bring that enforcer edge to the Lakers and improves their defense.  I don't like his attitude nor do I like the distractions LA is going to bring Artest.

Honestly I think this experiment is going to blow up.

Oh and boy was I wrong!  So much for that Lakers insight.

I totally agree but Ron Artest is like that quarter machine at the arcade.  You know the one that has all those little arms that push the quarters over the edge and into your pocket.  It seems like every level is one quarter away from dropping 5 dollars worth of quarters.  Ron is very inticing if he can hold it together for a couple of years, if any team/player/coach combo can keep Ron in line it's the NBA WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS/FINALS MVP KOBE/LORD OF THE RINGS PJ.

That being said I would prefer the Lakers keep Ariza and have a guy like Matt Barnes on a side burner.

I think Ariza's agent talked his client out of a deal.  I heard the Lakers had offered 5 years for about 28 million.  Now Ariza will probably get the same deal somewhere else but he won't be playing in his hometown comming off a championship year. 

I feel bad we could not keep Ariza, I really like him and hope the best for him wherever he ends up.  I probably would not have been too happy with a 5 year deal, seems kind of long and it could have been the same type of RadMan/Walton/Sasha "morning after" regret I feel about those deals now.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 09:25:07 PM »
The contract is not perfect but both sides have a little wiggle room:

David Aldridge

Lakers reach agreement to add Ron Artest to squad
By David Aldridge, TNT Analyst
Posted Jul 2 2009 9:52PM

The Los Angeles Lakers are not content to stand pat in defense of their latest championship.

They reached an agreement Thursday with Houston Rockets free agent forward Ron Artest on a five-year deal using the team's mid-level exception that would pay Artest a little more $32 million based on last season's mid-level amount of $5.585 million. Artest will have an out in the contract after the fourth season, according to a source, and will be allowed to make the contract into a three-year deal if he changes his mind between now and next Wednesday, the first official day that players can sign contracts for the 2009-10 season.

The 29-year-old Artest might be inclined to go for a shorter deal to give him the chance at another contract after this one expires. By signing for three years, Artest would regain his "Larry Bird" rights, which allow a team to go over the salary cap in order to re-sign its own players and pay those players an additional year's salary. That would also apply if Artest wanted to leave the Lakers after three years; he'd get an additional year if the Lakers agreed to a sign-and-trade deal for him.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 09:28:45 PM »
On a sadder note:

Updated: July 2, 2009, 9:59 PM ET
Ariza verbally commits to Houston

Trevor Ariza has made a verbal commitment to sign with the Houston Rockets, according to sources close to the process.

The 6-foot-8 Ariza averaged 8.9 points, 4.3 rebounds and 1.8 assists for the Lakers last season, which ended with the NBA championship.

With at least five teams pursuing Ariza, the Lakers appeared unwilling to pay him more than the $5.6 million mid-level exception.

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 09:31:52 PM »
^^^

The only positive is that Ariza didn't sign with the Cavs.  IMO the Lakers have no team in the NBA to fear.  Actually the only team the Lakers need to fear is a Lakers team with a disgruntled Artest!  :D
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 07:41:52 AM »

The only positive is that Ariza didn't sign with the Cavs.  IMO the Lakers have no team in the NBA to fear.  Actually the only team the Lakers need to fear is a Lakers team with a disgruntled Artest!  :D

I disagree...a healthy Spurs team can compete with them.  And that's just the west.

Artest could be a great pickup for LA.  His toughness and defensive intensity are somethig this Lakers team needs.  Or it could backfire screwing up the team chemistry especially if PJ does retire.  What's the latest word on that?

The Lakers are still missing a PG.  Last year proved that they could get by but Fisher is another year older and Farmar hasn't shown starter level skills.  Shannon Brown also isn't a 30 minute a game player. 

Speaking of getting older; are the Lakers shortening their window?  Sign a player that is 6 years older than the one they gave up.  The starting wings will be 30 and 31 at the start of the season.  The Spurs are old & done when they play 30 year old and up players even with a 26/28 year old starting backcourt.  Odom will be 30 in November.  Where is the future of this team?

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 05:20:11 PM »
I disagree...a healthy Spurs team can compete with them.  And that's just the west.

No offense, I'm not trying to bait or anything, but IMO the Spurs can not compete with the Lakers.  Even if they come back 100% healthy I don't think the Spurs will give the Lakers much trouble in the playoffs.  The Spurs are so thin in the front court and the Lakers are so deep that it will wear the Spurs out.  If the Spurs can land Rasheed then I think the Lakers and Spurs are pretty close to even, but until TD gets help on the boards and in the paint I would not consider the Spurs a real threat.

Artest could be a great pickup for LA.  His toughness and defensive intensity are somethig this Lakers team needs.  Or it could backfire screwing up the team chemistry especially if PJ does retire.  What's the latest word on that?

Artest is a three sided coin flip.  Will Artest play the way he should?  Will Artest go crazy?  Will Artest revert to Mr. Ballhog?  I really don't know, it's going to be up to Kobe and PJ to keep the guy in check.  PJ announced that he will coach the team next year, he visited the Lakers doctors and got a green light to coach next season.

The Lakers are still missing a PG.  Last year proved that they could get by but Fisher is another year older and Farmar hasn't shown starter level skills.  Shannon Brown also isn't a 30 minute a game player. 

The Lakers are going to get burned by any team with a quick PG.  Parker will kill who ever the Lakers put on him, the only possible exception would be Kobe.  With Artest on the squad I would expect the Lakers to be able to put Kobe on Parker for stretches but that would not be the ideal solution.  If the Spurs do get Sheed then the battle is going to be Kobe exploiting the 2 and Parker exploiting the 1.  Without Sheed, or some major upgrade at the 4/5 to help TD, I think the Lakers have too many offensive weapons and too much length and strength on defense for the Spurs.

Speaking of getting older; are the Lakers shortening their window?  Sign a player that is 6 years older than the one they gave up.  The starting wings will be 30 and 31 at the start of the season.  The Spurs are old & done when they play 30 year old and up players even with a 26/28 year old starting backcourt.  Odom will be 30 in November.  Where is the future of this team?

The Lakers have a 2 to 3 year window before they really start to drop off, IMO the Spurs have a 1 to 2 year window so the Lakers should out last them.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 06:30:17 PM »

The Lakers have a 2 to 3 year window before they really start to drop off, IMO the Spurs have a 1 to 2 year window so the Lakers should out last them.

Duncan will probably (unless they sign Sheed) will be the only starter over 30.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 06:35:53 PM »

Duncan will probably (unless they sign Sheed) will be the only starter over 30.

I'm referring to Manu and the bench.  Jefferson really helps but he's not the consistent closer that Manu has been in the past.  Mase really dropped off the radar late in the season but Hill is on the horizon so the Spurs could probably be ok.  My reason for the shorter window for the Spurs is that they need to develop/aquire another closer to replace Manu who seems to be on the tail end of his career.  IMO the Spurs could extend their window if the FORCE Manu to rest in the off season.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 01:00:20 AM »

Ron Artest met with Phil Jackson before the deal was announced.  They had a sit down.  As did Artest and Dr Jerry Buss.  So Phil is not retiring this year and probably has been the biggest voice in LALA land to go after Artest.   The more and more I hear about this 'signing' the more and more I feel like Artest was in the Lakers back pocket.  After Ariza's agent made his comments they decided to go straight after Ron Artest.  Rumors were circling around that the Lakers were still pissed about the BS that David Lee (the agent of Bynum and Ariza) pulled last year.  He thought he could do it again and ended up screwing his client.

I think the Spurs can compete with them.  In fact I think that the Lakers decided, at least in part, on Ron Artest because of the Spurs/Cavs/Boston moves .  A lot of the contenders were beefing up and the Lakers had to improve as well.  Do I think Ron Artest is an improvement?  Yes and no.  Already stated my reasons.  I am excited for the year to start just to see what happens.  I actually do not like the deal at all after letting it soak in as I think it will screw with chemistry.  Maybe not right away or even in one year.  He signed for 3 and Phil Jackson will be gone after next season.  At least IMO he will.  He already surpassed Red and obviously his health is an issue.  I think part of the reason he is coming back is he is still under contract and I think he felt that it would only be fair to his players that the whole team get a shot at defending the championship.  I have a lot of confidence in Phil Jackson's ability to deal with egos and head cases.  He has a respect in the league that is unmatched.  Kurt Rambis and pretty much any other coach, save maybe Popavich, do not come close.  THAT is something to worry about.

A lot of people in LA are jumping on the Artest bandwagon right away.  Doing the typical 'O M G We gonna take it guys!' but I just am too skeptical.  Almost every year since 2005 Ron Artest has been in the headlines for fighting, demanding trades, neglecting dogs, focusing too much on a bad rap career (which is extra bad now because LA is the second biggest hip hop city in the country), or being a hot head.  JoMal has sung his praises since he went up to Sac-town but JoMal's noggin is a rotting.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 01:18:27 AM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 01:19:47 PM »
Ron Artest met with Phil Jackson before the deal was announced.  They had a sit down.  As did Artest and Dr Jerry Buss.  So Phil is not retiring this year and probably has been the biggest voice in LALA land to go after Artest.   The more and more I hear about this 'signing' the more and more I feel like Artest was in the Lakers back pocket.  After Ariza's agent made his comments they decided to go straight after Ron Artest.  Rumors were circling around that the Lakers were still pissed about the BS that David Lee (the agent of Bynum and Ariza) pulled last year.  He thought he could do it again and ended up screwing his client.

I think the Spurs can compete with them.  In fact I think that the Lakers decided, at least in part, on Ron Artest because of the Spurs/Cavs/Boston moves .  A lot of the contenders were beefing up and the Lakers had to improve as well.  Do I think Ron Artest is an improvement?  Yes and no.  Already stated my reasons.  I am excited for the year to start just to see what happens.  I actually do not like the deal at all after letting it soak in as I think it will screw with chemistry.  Maybe not right away or even in one year.  He signed for 3 and Phil Jackson will be gone after next season.  At least IMO he will.  He already surpassed Red and obviously his health is an issue.  I think part of the reason he is coming back is he is still under contract and I think he felt that it would only be fair to his players that the whole team get a shot at defending the championship.  I have a lot of confidence in Phil Jackson's ability to deal with egos and head cases.  He has a respect in the league that is unmatched.  Kurt Rambis and pretty much any other coach, save maybe Popavich, do not come close.  THAT is something to worry about.

A lot of people in LA are jumping on the Artest bandwagon right away.  Doing the typical 'O M G We gonna take it guys!' but I just am too skeptical.  Almost every year since 2005 Ron Artest has been in the headlines for fighting, demanding trades, neglecting dogs, focusing too much on a bad rap career (which is extra bad now because LA is the second biggest hip hop city in the country), or being a hot head.  JoMal has sung his praises since he went up to Sac-town but JoMal's noggin is a rotting.

A couple of things:
Phil has already announced he'll be back next year, check ESPN, but I did not think about "life with Ron after PJ is gone".  :-[
One reason Artest was in LA last week was to sign a record deal.  >:(

This was a feast or famine move, we'll have to wait and see how it turns out.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 01:30:56 PM »
get a kick out of the acts being put on as if there was some drama involved in Artest become a Flamer or not ::)
Artests coming to the Lamers was clearly outlined in this meeting in 2008.

Kobe said that after the Lakers lost game six of the '08 NBA Finals in Boston by 39 points, he was alone in the shower, just fuming.  He heard somebody walk in and assumed it was one of his teammates, or maybe a staff member.  Instead, he looked up, and it was Ron Artest (to this day, Kobe has no idea how Artest got into the locker room).

"I want to come help you," Artest said.  "If I can, I'm going to find a way to come to LA and give you the help you need to win a title."

Lest you two HyperSkirts try to twist this any other way, here is the link to the source, LA Media person Jon Ireland. 
http://stevemasonsmog.typepad.com/john_irelands_plog_710_es/

(I love the ignore feature)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 02:43:27 PM »

A couple of things:
Phil has already announced he'll be back next year, check ESPN, but I did not think about "life with Ron after PJ is gone".  :-[
One reason Artest was in LA last week was to sign a record deal.  >:(

This was a feast or famine move, we'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

My good friend and I were talking about this at the bar the other night....

What about the Paparazzi/TMZ types following around Ron Artest in Los Angeles?  Their lively hood is based upon people who will flip out and give them ratings.  They love Kanye West for the same reason.....which leads to the next situation)

LA is the center of the entertainment business and second only to New York City when it comes to hip hop music.  Ron Artest is going to be hanging out with rappers and their entourages.  He is going to be out with knuckle heads to prove he's 'cool' with westcoast gangsta rappers.  Lamar Odom is also friends with these same guys but he's not trying to be in the music business.  Artest may want to do things to gain himself attention for his record label/self.  This is the same guy who shaved 'Tru Warrior' into his head.  Would it be a stretch to say that Ron Artest is going to enjoy the TMZers chasing him around?

Is the Lakers PR person getting paid extra or have the Lakers hired one for Ron Artest?  Maybe a life coach?  Babysitter?  I am a Lakers homer but not enough to all the sudden pretend like Ron Artest is a different person because he plays on my favorite basketball team.  As a Lakers fan I hope it works out and we repeat.  As a basketball fan it looks like a major gamble on a player who  has proven to be a distraction.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 02:47:35 PM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 06:23:35 PM »
My good friend and I were talking about this at the bar the other night....

What about the Paparazzi/TMZ types following around Ron Artest in Los Angeles?  Their lively hood is based upon people who will flip out and give them ratings.  They love Kanye West for the same reason.....which leads to the next situation)

LA is the center of the entertainment business and second only to New York City when it comes to hip hop music.  Ron Artest is going to be hanging out with rappers and their entourages.  He is going to be out with knuckle heads to prove he's 'cool' with westcoast gangsta rappers.  Lamar Odom is also friends with these same guys but he's not trying to be in the music business.  Artest may want to do things to gain himself attention for his record label/self.  This is the same guy who shaved 'Tru Warrior' into his head.  Would it be a stretch to say that Ron Artest is going to enjoy the TMZers chasing him around?

Is the Lakers PR person getting paid extra or have the Lakers hired one for Ron Artest?  Maybe a life coach?  Babysitter?  I am a Lakers homer but not enough to all the sudden pretend like Ron Artest is a different person because he plays on my favorite basketball team.  As a Lakers fan I hope it works out and we repeat.  As a basketball fan it looks like a major gamble on a player who  has proven to be a distraction.

How long before RonRon gets into a fight with a club bouncer or maybe even a cop?  :o

I hope there is not a chemistry issue with Artest in the mix, right now my biggest concern is signing Odom.  Even if Artest is the pefect fit with the Lakers, the Lakers will not get too far if they lose Odom for nothing.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"