Author Topic: The Sixers free agency thread.  (Read 27275 times)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Sixers free agency thread.
« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2009, 10:43:18 AM »
Why is there so much complaining when we finally have a 12 man roster?  Adding a player like Primoz Brezec will definitely add more excitement!

God, this is gonna be a tough season to watch.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2009, 01:36:30 PM »
It will be a lot better if we can snag Hakim Warrick!

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2009, 08:27:24 PM »
Eh, I don't think Warrick would have been much of a difference maker anyway.  Sessions on the other hand, makes a lot of sense.  Such a shame...

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2009, 12:31:50 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4380076

They picked up a Euro league center.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2009, 10:07:46 AM »
If Sessions continues to go unsigned and his price tag drops a little, does anyone think we'd humor the idea of signing him to a 2 year deal and look to shed salary before next year to avoid the luxury tax (try to move either Lou, Kapono, Green, Daly)?  Or do you think we're pretty much set on the idea of starting Lou.  Sorry to keep laying into the proverbial dead horse here, but it's just really bothering me that a good young point guard is STILL there for the taking at a bargain, and the fact that we haven't shown a thread of interest is pretty disheartening. 

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2009, 01:03:29 PM »
Doesn't the fact that he's still unsigned make you question whether he (Sessions) is as good or as affordable as you think he is?

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2009, 09:28:57 AM »
Doesn't the fact that he's still unsigned make you question whether he (Sessions) is as good or as affordable as you think he is?

No.  I think its the product of the league being extremely frugal and the limited teams that remain in the market for a pg are more than likely trying to wait it out with him to get the best deal possible.  I don't question his ability to run the point better than anyone we have right now. 

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2009, 11:51:24 AM »
rickortreat:

You are not serious - are you?

I'm not talking about them being a tax-payer.  I think that the primary reasons why they did not try harder to trade Miller at the deadline were 1) it was more important to insure 2-3 home playoff gates than it was to bring in assets that could help the team in 2009-10 and beyond and 2) they were FULLY PREPARED to simply let him walk after the season and get ZERO back for him.  F*ck the S&T...what kind of S&T could we have reasonably gotten for him...even if we only wanted one year?  Huh?

(Steve Blake, come on down!)

They aren't even spending the MLE, for crissakes.  And while I understand that if they used the full MLE, they would have a problem in 2010-11 (until we get cap relief), but c'mon, bro...if you want fans to put out THEIR money to support the team, the team needs to put out THEIR money to put a competitative product on the floor.

I hear a LOT of people saying that the "Lou and Jrue Show" may not be so bad this season.  Wishful thinking, if you ask me...and it's not like we are some rebuilding 30-win team trying to get through a transition year - we are going to piss away a VERY expensive year of Brand's contract going with a PG rotation of two guy with a combined NBA/college experience level at PG of around 1000 minutes.

Pathetic.

What's pathetic is that there is no sense in spending money unless it gets you somewhere. If you think adding someone for a MLE is going to make a difference when the Sixers meet Cleveland or Boston or Orlando, I've got news for you! It's not going to close the talent gap between the teams, so now you have a team with no flexibilty at all if the cap goes down in a futile effort to keep up with teams that went 20 million over the cap.  You think Sessions would turn the Sixers into world beaters!?

The Sixers can't compete with their starting Center. Unless someone else replaces Sam and outperforms him, nothing else the team does will move them into elite status.   Since that appears to be impossible, the Sixers are doing the right thing by being frugal.  Young and Iguodala and Williams are all still developing players and their opportunity to be elite isn't quite there yet.  This season we will find out who's really worth keeping and how to resolve the talent deficit. Once the Sixers are playing it will become much more apparent whether their points are ready or not, and they can add a player to address a specific need then.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2009, 02:33:09 AM »
We signed Rodney Carney.  The excitement builds.   ::)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 09, 2009, 03:20:22 PM »
I can't say I hate the move.

Sadly, that is what I have said about nearly all of their moves this summer.  I hated a few of their non-moves.  A summer of inspiration this has not been.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: September 09, 2009, 10:54:15 PM »
Carney gives us another outside shooter, he can defend, and he fits in well in our up tempo game.  It's a good signing for the minimum.  We have a lot of youth on our bench.   

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2009, 09:20:53 AM »
When you come to the realization that they won't sign anyone for more than the vet min for 1 year, and adjust your expectations accordingly, this is about as good as it gets.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: September 10, 2009, 12:47:43 PM »
I like Rodney Carney. That might be a mistake on my part, but I think he is gifted enough to be an NBA player. I also think his time away from the Sixers was better spent, and he comes back a better player than he left.

He's still young and he's been bounced around enough to realize that he's got to become a better player if he wants to extend his NBA career. He has enough athleticism, so it's a matter of him finding his niche, the specific things that he does well. His game should fit in well with the Princeton. And while I don't think he's as good as Young, he'd be a good player to bring in off the bench to replace one of them and still maintain a physical presence.  The Sixers needed someone to backup Thad. Smith and Speights aren't small forwards and neither is Brand. Kapono is a guard. Iguodala can't play two positions at once, so the choice would have been to bring in Kapono or Green at the 2, while he rests or move him to the 3 while Thad rests. 

Rodney needs to develop his shot and his handle to get to the next level in the NBA, where teams want to keep you and develop you.  His big problem is that he's a tweener, too big and physical to be a guard, too short to be a Power Forward, and without the handle or ball skills to play the 3 well. Without the apparent combination of skills to be dominant at either position. He has to become a quality defender and reliable outside shooter if he wants to avoid becoming a journeyman player.